Librarians invade NOLA Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Librarians invade NOLA « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Debra Tobias
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:26 am:   

Hi, this is norskelib, I have been lurking and reading Andrew's Katrina and political posts. I am a fan of the FWVB and BOTFWV, and know that my colleagues will be visiting NOLA in two weeks. I believe we are the first convention to honor it's commitment to NO since Katrina. I hope that many librarians come to your city, and the bookstores will have the local authors prominantly displayed in their windows, including, of course, FWVB and BOTFWV.

I hope the ALA (American Library Association) convention will bring much needed dollars to your fair city...please let the list here know if they have made any dent in the economy. I won't be able to join them, due to budget cuts here in our state, but I have been to NO twice before and know it is a great place to visit!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 01:36 pm:   

Hi, Debra; thanks for dropping by! I'm sorry you won't be able to come down to New Orleans for the convention. It'll be terrific to have so many book-lovers here in town. The majority of our local bookstores made it through the storm okay (with a few sad exceptions), and several of our independent stores (Octavia Books, Maple Street Bookstore, and Garden District Books) were among the first local businesses to reopen after citizens were allowed back inside Orleans Parish. Please invite any of your librarian friends to get in touch with me while they're here in town.

Lori Smith
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 02:23 pm:   

I'm just glad they brought the National Guard into New Orleans before the convention. Librarians at ALA tend to drink like fish and get a little rowdy. ;-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 09:24 pm:   

Andy, lost my address and numbers in a comp. accident. Could you send me a work number?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 08:58 am:   

The ALA convention has been a huge shot in the arm for New Orleans. Radio commentators this morning were saying that this convention may have saved several French Quarter restaurants from going under. I took my family down to the Quarter on Sunday for a walk and iced coffees at Cafe du Monde. I'd hoped to run into some librarians, and when I saw a group of four middle-aged blonde ladies walking down Chartres Street towards us, I stopped them and asked them if they were attending the ALA convention. Nope; they had no idea what I was talking about and insisted I tell them just why I thought they were librarians. I tried my best to unruffle their feathers and told them that our city fathers had asked us natives to be especially nice to any librarians we ran into this weekend (which is true). That seemed to mollify them and they went happily on their way, sipping from their go-cups and carrying loads of shopping bags from Quarter boutiques (much appreciated, ladies, whoever you were).

Lucius, I'll shoot you an email later this morning. Hope all is well! Sorry to hear about your computer woes.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 09:21 am:   

Hah! Close call. The only librarian I knew down there was a hard-core partyer. She drank and drugged like there was no tomorrow. At least on the weekends.

These ain't your daddy's librarians!

Norskelib
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:03 am:   

Cool! I'm glad they were a help to you guys, that was the mission in keeping it in NO. I hope other conventions will resume meeting there too.

Yeah, we librarians are a varied lot. Altho most of us are middle-aged and wear sensible shoes, at least to work. But there are some real partiers in the club too...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register