Post-Katrina Article in MOMENT MAGAZINE Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Post-Katrina Article in MOMENT MAGAZINE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 07:42 am:   

They must like me over at Moment Magazine, because I've now appeared in two issues in a row. The April-May issue, now available, contains an article I wrote on the New Orleans Jewish community's slow revival after the Katrina disaster. It's called "Crossing the River Styx," and they've made it available online:

http://www.momentmag.com/olam/Apr06/MOM-2006-04_riverstyx.html

Kathi Kimbriel
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   

Hi, Andy and Dara --

I rise from my own medical woes to find out how you're doing. A good article, Andy -- hope they paid you for it! The cantor's comment about "rebuilding' struck a nerve. How is Henry Galler? I hesitate to ask, because he has taken so many blows.

Here I'm trying to get work out the door and a few more boxes unpacked. I hope the stress is easing for your family. I hope we're all doing better by ArmadilloCon.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 07:26 am:   

Dear Kathi,

I'm sorry to hear you mention "medical woes" -- I hope they aren't too serious. We dodged a bullet a couple of weeks ago when Dara had a bad fall in the house. We were afraid she'd broken her ankle, but it turned out to be just a bad sprain. Her being on crutches for six weeks with two toddlers to look after would NOT have been a good thing. Good news -- my little guy Asher just started walking unassisted this past week. He's incredibly cute, looks like a high-wire walker as he balances so carefully with both arms.

Thanks for the kind comment on the Moment Magazine article. Yes, it was a paying job; not much, but something (although I haven't seen the check yet). I saw Henry Galler last back in February when he came into town for Eva's memorial service at Touro Synagogue. About 150 people showed up and filled the entire chapel; Eva had a lot of friends and admirers, including the many, many students she had tutored in Hebrew over the decades. Henry was in remarkably good spirits when I saw him. He was delighted that the crowd was so big and was thrilled to see me. I stood in the reception line a couple of times just so I could give him an extra hug before he'd go back to Texas with his daughters. What a guy. Thanks so much for asking about him. Take good care of yourself!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register