New Cover for FAT WHITE VAMPIRE BLUES Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » New Cover for FAT WHITE VAMPIRE BLUES « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

Here's a link to the new cover Ballantine commissioned for the mass-market reprint of Fat White Vampire Blues due to come out in March, 2006:

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780345456977

I like it. I think it strikes just the right note of whimsy. This is actually pretty much what I had in mind for the cover of the trade edition. Let me know what you all think; I'd be especially interested to hear from folks like John Picacio, who make a living designing the covers of books.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 02:28 pm:   

Lookin' Good.

John Picacio
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 05:49 pm:   

Hey, Andy --

Sorry I've been out of touch lately. Really sorry about that. It's been a whirlwind over here. Congrats on your recent award, and very best wishes to you, Dara and the family.

Saw the jpeg of the new cover and liked it. I'm really glad to see that they've gone to a more whimsical approach because I think it'll entice more folks to pick it up.

Dave Stevenson is a dynamite art director, and as a designer, he can do wonders with stock photography and limited resources when it's necessary, but I always thought the two stock photo covers for your trade editions were a little off-putting. They grabbed your eye on the shelf, but were they attractive enough to make you want to shell out the dough? Nice design work by Dave, but those photographs were an uphill battle, especially on the sequel, as you well know.

Nice, new treatment here in a different direction. I look forward to seeing this in the bookstores soon! Best of luck, man!!!

Much more soon,
John

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 07:45 am:   

Andy, I like the new cover too. Good luck with the mass market. I hope it sells a million!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 06:44 am:   

Dear Adam, John, and Ellen,

Thanks so much for your good wishes; I'm glad that all of you have given a thumbs-up to the new cover. I think the original cover reached an audience, just not the particular audience I'd had in mind when I first submitted the book. I'm hoping I'll hit that somewhat bigger audience this time, the type of readers who enjoy Christopher Moore's books.

John, always great to hear from you. Don't fret about having been out of touch. You've had a hell of a good and busy year, and I'm thrilled for you, and I certainly know how busy one can get in the midst of a whirlwind. Of course, there are good whirlwinds, and there are bad whirlwinds, and I'm glad you got swept up in the former. . .

Roslyn
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 03:31 am:   

Hi Andy,

Congratulations on your book! May you net millions, movie deals & merchandise. Don't give away your rights!

Great cover!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 07:13 am:   

Thanks, Ros. I'll send you an email soon to give you an update on all your old friends from the George Alec Effinger Memorial Writing Group. We're still getting together each month, although our numbers have dwindled down somewhat, as you might well imagine.

Roslyn
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 06:08 am:   

I'm so glad I did a search for your title. I knew it was a great book, and I was happy to find your website. I'm so proud of you! Makes me think there's hope for me.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the guys and hope everyone is well.

Kathi Kimbriel
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   

It looks very good, Andy--I hope it flies for you! I know about bad covers sidetracking careers, so get all the voodoo folk on your side. Is there a folk art version of Jules' (previous) house?

Hang in there--

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 10:34 am:   

Kathi, thanks so much for all the good wishes. It sounds like there have been big staff shakeups just recently at Del Rey / Ballantine (seems like they've made a tradition of pre-Christmas "massacres"), and a lot of folks I remember working with from just a couple of years ago aren't there anymore. I just hope those folks most responsible for launching the mm edition of Fat White Vampire are still in place. But I've learned that any worrying on my part is a complete waste of energy and time. Regarding the ol' publishing biz, whatever will happen will happen; I just have to lie back and enjoy it, whatever comes, 'cause I have no control over it whatsoever. . .

darcy
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:19 pm:   

I like the new cover. The old cover wasn't bad though. The old cover looks like a typical chubby guy.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 07:09 am:   

Good news from Del Rey. My friend Fleetwood Robbins, who handled publicity and author appearances for Bride of the Fat White Vampire and worked very closely with me throughout 2004, has returned to Del Rey after a soujourn with another part of Ballantine. This time he'll be an assistant editor. Fleetwood is about as straight a straight arrow as they come in the publishing business; I both like him and trust him, so I'm very pleased that he'll have a hand in guiding the launch of the mass market edition of Fat White Vampire Blues.

Rob B
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 08:54 am:   

Andrew,

The link in your initial post isn't working, but here's the link to amazon.com's page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345456971/qid=1137171135/sr=12-1/102-7393884-7 129709?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Who is the artist? It looks a bit like James Jean's work.

Anwyay, glad to hear about Fleetwood coming back into the fold and I hope the MMPB does well. I'm very much looking forward to where you take Jules.

-Rob
http://blogorob.blogspot.com
http://www.sffworld.com

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 07:28 am:   

Dear Friends,

For those of you who may have been paying attention, the end of March came and went without a mass market reprint of Fat White Vampire Blues. I apologize, both on my behalf and on Del Rey/Ballantine's, for any disappointment. During the last quarter of 2005, the Del Rey staff was pretty thoroughly overhauled, and in the process of employee separations and staff hires, my little reprint kind of fell through the cracks. I still love the new cover that Del Rey commissioned, and I hope that the new folks in place there will decide to try again with the reprint next year. In the meantime, if you'd like to see the Jules Duchon / Fat White Vampire series continue, please encourage your friends and family to pick up copies of the second book, Bride of the Fat White Vampire; sales for that one haven't been nearly as strong as what Del Rey had hoped for.

Thanks much for all your support!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register