HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

George Alec Effinger's WHEN GRAVITY F...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » George Alec Effinger's WHEN GRAVITY FAILS Back in Print! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 08:14 am:   

Here's some very good and long-overdue news. My fondly remembered friend and mentor George Alec Effinger's best-known novel, When Gravity Fails, is finally back in print. I hope Orb will chose to reprint the second two novels in the series, as well, A Fire in the Sun and The Exile Kiss. All three are well worth reading, if you aren't already familiar with them. They are among the cyberpunk novels which have weathered the passage of time and changing fashions the best, in my opinion. Plus, the outstanding setting shared by the three books, the Arab pleasure quarter known as the Budayeen, was based upon George's intimate knowledge of the seamier corners of New Orleans' French Quarter. Portions of the books were inspired by his friendship with a transvestite stripper who was murdered in the Quarter, a murder the New Orleans Police Department apparently never showed much interest in solving.

Here is Locusmag.com's introduction to the books:

" Effinger, George Alec : When Gravity Fails
(Orb 0-765-31358-8, $13.95, 284pp, trade paperback, November 2005, cover art Craig Mullins, cover design Howard Grossman/12E Design)
(First edition: Arbor House, January 1987)

Cyberpunk SF novel set in a corrupt Arab ghetto called the Budayeen; a noir detective thriller about bootlegged personality cartridges.
• It's Effinger's best-remembered and most acclaimed novel. It barely lost the Hugo Award in 1988, was also a Nebula nominee, and it placed second in that year's Locus Poll for best SF novel. It spawned two sequels, A Fire in the Sun (1989, also a Hugo nominee), and The Exile Kiss (1991), as well as a posthumous collection of associated stories, Budayeen Nights (2003, reviewed by Claude Lalumière)."
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

darcy
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:37 pm:   

The book sounds good. I hope a library has it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |