"The Man Who Would Be Kong" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » "The Man Who Would Be Kong" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:59 am:   

Feel free to hate me, everybody. I am bringing down the curtain on Ellen Datlow's beloved SciFiction.com. On this Wednesday, November 30, my short story, "The Man Who Would Be Kong," will be the final original story published by that venue before the SciFi Channel pulls the plug.

Seriously, though, "Kong" is one of my favorites of my own stories, and I've been seeking a venue for it for almost a decade. The time happens to be right for it to appear now, with Peter Jackson's remake coming out in a couple of weeks. I'm just sad that this distinguished, award-winning, and very well-paying market is going up in cyber-smoke. I hope that you all enjoy the story. I'm honored that Ellen chose it and that it ended up being the tip of the tail/tale of the marvelous story sauropod she gave birth to (now there's a forced metaphor for you; had to squeeze in something Kong-related, though). I know she'll land on her feet and gift us with many fantastic projects to come.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/

Let me know what you all think. As I wrote above, this is one of my personal favorites.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:54 pm:   

Uh, no it isn't. We're running stories through December 28th, including a novella by Lucius...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   

In fact, here's our final schedule:
November 30
The Man Who Would be Kong by Andrew Fox

December 7
The King of Where I Go by Howard Waldrop
Star Light, Star Bright by Alfred Bester

December 14
The Emperor by Lucius Shepard (novella)

December 21
Boz by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
The Great Wall of Mexico by John Sladek

December 28
The Dope Fiend by Lavie Tidhar

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:36 pm:   

Oh, well that's good news! I guess I misunderstood something you mentioned when we talked, Ellen. I thought you'd moved the posting date of "Kong" forward so as to squeek it in before the site's original content was brought to an end. I'm glad to hear I'm wrong, though. My apologies!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:59 pm:   

That's ok. I ordinarily wouldn't publish a "fifth" original and I had originally planned on holding Howard's and Lucius's stories till January.

Instead, I moved everything up to be able to run all my inventory before the end of the year.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   

Sob.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:44 am:   

Here's the permanent link to "The Man Who Would Be Kong:"

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/fox/index.html

Enjoy!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register