Story Wins Second Place in Moment-Kar... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Story Wins Second Place in Moment-Karma Jewish Fiction Contest « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 09:17 am:   

Here's some good news to share with all my friends. Upon my return to New Orleans, I learned that I'd won second place in a contest I'd forgotten I'd entered a story in. My story "Raoul Wallenberg in Orbit" was selected as second-place winner by the judges of the Moment Magazine-Karma Foundation Jewish Fiction Contest. They are very kindly paying for a brief trip to Washington, DC so that I can attend the awards ceremony on November 13th. So if any of you live in the Greater Washington area and would like to get together, please let me know, as I'll be up there on Saturday, November 12th and Sunday, November 13th. Here's the announcement from the Moment Magazine website:

"The Moment Magazine Jewish Short Story Festival & Awards Ceremony
Free Admission

On November 13, 2005, Moment Magazine, The Karma Foundation and The Washington DC Jewish Community Center will celebrate the winners of our Short Fiction Contest.

Author of the newly released and recently acclaimed short fiction collection, Nice Big American Baby, Judy Budnitz will read from her works and sign books. [For more information on Judy Budnitz, please click here.]

The event begins at 7:30pm. Admission is free. The Washington, DC JCC is located at 1529 16th St., NW Washington, DC 20036

Winners of the 2005 Moment Magazine-Karma Foundation Short Fiction Contest:

First Place: “Remnants, Like Dust in Pocket Seams” by Susan Messer

Second: “Raoul Wallenberg in Orbit” by Andrew Fox

Third: “Notes on Jewish Beauty (or Tamara Herschel)” by Isaac Leung

Honorable Mentions (in alphabetical order):

Diana Anhalt, “The Christ of Gold”

Lisa K. Buchanan “The Leap”

Moshe Dann “Uzi’s Wife”

William D. Kaufman “The Day the Messiah Came”

Joseph M. Lipner “The Adventurer” "

Pretty cool, huh???

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 05:20 am:   

Indeed. Congratulations.

Kathi Kimbriel
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:58 am:   

Wow! And a trip, too!

Enjoy--

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:46 am:   

Dear Adam and Kathi,

Thanks so much for the good wishes. I'm looking forward to the trip. The story should be published in Moment Magazine in January or February of 2006. I'll post the date once I know for sure. I'll be emailing my friends with Capclave, the Washington, DC-area convention I was supposed to attend a few weeks back but had to miss; perhaps I'll be able to get together with some of their members while I'm up there.

You both take care! Adam, good luck with the new cat. We drove to Thibodeaux on Saturday and picked up our seven cats. Jack is doing poorly, having suffered liver damage during his ordeal and having spent a couple of weeks in the animal hospital. The other six, however, all look great and are very pleased to be back in their home.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:46 pm:   

Congrats, Andy.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 05:30 pm:   

Thanks much, Lucius. I hope you're feeling better. Sorry we both had to miss World Fantasy this year. I would've loved to have been there to hear John Picacio's acceptance speech, which everyone on the boards is raving about. The family and I should see you this coming year at either ArmadilloCon or the Austin WFC, or maybe both -- who knows?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 03:33 pm:   

The Moment Magazine folks couldn't have been more gracious or friendly during my brief visit to DC. Nadine, the magazine's publisher, actually had me stay over at her family's home the Saturday night I got into town. Shaun and Becky, two of the magazine's staffers, took me out to a great little Chinese joint in a Georgetown basement that served all their dishes, upon request, as vegetarian, so I was able to order vegetarian orange "chicken," which was very, very good. On Sunday, my very good pal Maury came down on the Vamoose bus from Brooklyn and joined me for the awards dinner and ceremony. Both of the other top three finishers in the Jewish Fiction Contest also attended, Susan coming in from Chicago and Isaac all the way from London. All three of us read from our stories and discussed them at the Washington Jewish Community Center. The next morning, one of my friends from Fast Forward, the Washington-area science fiction public access TV show, joined Maury and me for breakfast, then dropped Maury and me off at the Bethesda branch of Second Story Books so we could browse. All in all, one terrific weekend. Moment will publish "Raoul Wallenberg in Orbit" in their next issue, which will come out in January, 2006.

You can see photos of the event here. And, my, doesn't my nose look simply huge.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 07:59 am:   

"Raoul Wallenberg in Orbit" appears in the February, 2006 issue of Moment Magazine, on sale now. If you'd like to pick up a copy, visit their website, www.momentmag.com , where you can either order one online or look to see which bookstores or newsstands close to you sell the magazine. They give the story a very attractive presentation and layout; I'm very pleased.

Also, the editors of Moment, who are sponsoring a fundraising concert to assist the Jewish community in New Orleans following Katrina, have commissioned an article from me for their April, 2006 issue. The article will be entitled, "After the Deluge: a Jewish Homecoming." More details to follow!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:24 am:   

Hey, I just noticed that Moment has made "Raoul Wallenberg in Orbit" readable on-line:

http://www.momentmag.com/features/feb06/fiction-2006-01.html

Let me know what you think.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register