Wilma Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Wilma « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam-Troy
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:19 am:   

Unfortunately, we have another one.

This is one of the first times we've ever worked our way this far into the alphabet, and, unfortunately, Wilma is meeting all the requirements for a nasty blow indeed. Below Cuba, she looks like she'll thread the gap between that island and Yucatan, either one of which would have robbed her of some force. Instead, she'll head straight through that needle on her way into the Gulf, hitting Category 3 Force at the very least. Her landfall will be somewhere on the Gulf Coast, but the most recent predictions I've heard have her performing a full loop and heading straight for South Florida.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 04:58 am:   

Christ, just like Katrina, this storm jumped up from a nothing little tropical storm to a Cat 5 hurricane in a single day. I'm not scheduled to get back down to Florida to pick up Dara and the boys until a week from Friday. I hope to God this storm doesn't make a mess of southeast Florida. Shit. This has really been the storm season from hell. Levi's scheduled for an MRI and EKG test this morning at a Hollywood, Florida hospital (nothing severe, just trying to rule out certain organic brain causes for his persistent developmental delays), and Dara is in a tizzy because her mother, at the very last minute, is not being supportive and coming to the hospital to watch Asher like she said she would. Instead, she's insisting that Dara change plans and drop Asher at the condo so Phyllis can make her phone calls and watch CNN. Phyllis has never baby-sat Asher on her own before, so Dara is worried and angry. I'm just venting here; sorry, gang. I need to get in the shower so I can go start my day and my temporary office that won't be my office in another day or two. Whatever, whatever, whatever.

adam-troy
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 03:10 pm:   

general update, night of the storm: Dara and kids are spending the nite with a family I know...they'll be ok

Adam-Troy
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 05:14 am:   

Am typing this on laptop thanks to Wireless DSL line after house has lost power.
We are now well into the storm, getting gusts of up to 140 mph. The street outside
is hailing roof tiles, the steel shutters are being ripped off the building
across the street, the dumpster has collapsed and become shrapnel, the lake
out back has whitecaps, and the topiary tree across the way is now horizontal,
its roots clinging to the ground by sheer force of will. We don't believe it
will survive the storm. Idiots with satellite dishes, who didn't take them down,
are contributing to the frisbee effect. Driving rain is slamming against the
windows. The cats are fascinated by all this, with one (Farrow) quite frightened.

We are not quite at the height of the storm and expect a full day of this.

Have just received a phone call from Christy, George Peterson's wife. They are
also enduring.

So, some WEST WING last night, huh? (Wireless also provided us with that.)

Kathi Kimbriel
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 04:20 pm:   

Hang on with all your toes and fingers, Florida. We're thinking good thoughts for you.

If things go bad, we'll get Habitat For Humanity to rebuild the state. I remember in the last horrible blow (Andrew?) that took out so much of Homestead, FL, the HFH houses were the only ones left standing--just a bit of roof missing.

Seems that amateur builders, being worried that they did it wrong, are prone to using "just one more nail...here!" And that, multiplied XXX, meant those houses stood up to a hurricane!

May you all pass through with flying colors.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 09:06 pm:   

I talked with Adam and Judi Castro tonight; they are without power but otherwise made it through the storm all right. Wilma ended up whacking the Miami-Dade and Broward areas on the east coast of Florida much, much harder than nearly everyone was expecting it would. Dara, Levi and Asher stayed in their temporary home in Surfside rather than schlep all their supplies to a house a few miles inland. They made it through without any serious damage to the apartment, although a loose storm shutter made for a harrowing racket (Dara was afraid the window would shatter and had to keep the boys out of the bedroom for most of the day). They are sitting in a hot apartment, and the boys are going stir-crazy, although Dara met another mother with two young kids down the hall, and the four kids played together in the hall for a while after the sun went down (the building's emergency generator has continued to power the elevators and lights in the hallways). Of course, Friday can't come soon enough. . . assuming that Fort Lauderdale Airport will be up and running by then and I'll be able to get in there to drive Dara and the boys home. I've invited Adam and Judi to follow us back to the comforts of Algiers in New Orleans (drinkable water! electric lights! grocery stores!), if they are of a mind to. Florida Power and Light has stated it may take them four weeks to restore the power grid in the three hardest-hit coastal counties on the east coast, and Adam has writing deadlines he needs to hit. What an insane summer this has been.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 10:17 am:   

Dara called me this morning (Wednesday) to tell me that power was restored in her building in Surfside last night about 12:30 A.M. That's a big relief. The boys did fine for the most part during the days without power, finding friends and new places to explore on the fourth floor hallway. Levi discovered that he could open any apartment doors left unlocked and run inside to look at whatever was in there, and this was a game he greatly enjoyed (the other residents of the floor didn't seem to mind, since Levi is still at an age when such behavior is considered "cute"). Dara managed to keep her sanity by talking with other mothers out in the hallway, which became a kind of community center for the building.

Fort Lauderdale International Airport still isn't open, due to low water pressure, but they may open again on Thursday morning. One other potential stumbling block to my getting in there and picking up the family -- Broward County has a 7 P.M. to 7 A.M. curfew, and my flight is scheduled to arrive at 9 P.M. on Friday. I almost jumped in the car last night and drove down to Florida, but Dara convinced me to be patient and hope that the Friday flight can still happen. Depending on that, and whether I'd be able to transfer my flight to Miami International if Fort Lauderdale remains closed, I may still have to make that fifteen hour drive down there, leave my Ford in Florida, and fly back another time to retrieve it. More updates to come. . .

Roslyn
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 03:21 am:   

Hi Andy,

I found your website this morning. I'm and sorry about all of the suffering you and so many others had to endure.

I'm in Miami. Is there anything I can do to help?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 07:11 am:   

Hi, Roslyn! Boy, I haven't heard from you in the longest time. Very good to get word from you. The family and I are back in New Orleans now, restoring our home (which took about $20,000 in damages, small potatoes given the current situation) and trying to get life back to normal again. We spent time with some wonderful people down in Miami and would like to get back down there sometime, under better circumstances, to visit. Please let me know how I can keep in touch, as we'd like to look you up the next time we're down there.

Roslyn
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 05:31 am:   

Send me an email; I'll give you all my info.

The good news is that your house is still standing! One of my friends is staying in a hotel. Her one story house had 8 feet of water, and she's looking for a rental. Thank God her family evacuated. One of her friends was pulled out of an attic after 3 days.

Take care, and write me!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   

Consider it done, Ros!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register