Third Annual George Alec Effinger Mem... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Third Annual George Alec Effinger Memorial Reading « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

This coming Saturday night, August 6, Octavia Books in Uptown New Orleans will play host to the third annual George Alec Effinger Memorial Reading and Book Signing. The occasion celebrates the publication of Golden Gryphon Books' second collection of George's outstanding short fiction, Live From Planet Earth! Although George himself won't be there to sign books (of course, and sadly), several of his one-time students and proteges who have recently been published will be on hand to read from George's fiction, reminisce about the man, and sign their own books. Participants include Laura Joh Rowland (The Assassin's Touch), Marian Moore (who has a story included in the recent Tor Books collection Crossroads: Tales of the Southern Literary Fantastic), and me (with my two Jules Duchon books). The event gets rolling at 7 P.M. For those of you in the N'Awlins area, Octavia Books is located at 513 Octavia Street in New Orleans, not far from Audubon Park and Zoo. Refreshments will be provided!

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 08:59 am:   

Wish I could have been there, Andy. Hope you got a good turnout.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   

Thanks for the good wishes, Nathan (and it was wonderful to hear from you recently through email). Attendance was terrific, as things turned out. We had about thirty-five folks show up, which for Octavia Books is a standing-room-only crowd. I read a selection from George's story "Two Sadnesses," Laura Joh Rowland and her husband Marty split up part of "The Aliens Who Knew, I Mean, Everything," and Marian Moore read part of one of his Budayeen short pieces. Tom sold lots of copies of George Alec Effinger Live! From Planet Earth, which will make the folks at Golden Gryphon Press very happy. Laura, Marian and I "ghosted" George's signature for anyone who wanted their book signed. Marty Halpern at Golden Gryphon is planning to do at least one more collection of George's short pieces, so we'll have future excuses to hold gatherings like this one.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register