Asher Zane Fox Makes Early Appearance! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Asher Zane Fox Makes Early Appearance! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   

Dara's and my second little boy, Asher Zane, arrived four weeks early, just like his older brother Levi (in fact, their birthdays are exactly fifteen months apart). We had to rush to the hospital early Saturday morning, February 5, both to make sure to beat Dara's labor and to avoid parade traffic (we're in the climactic weekend of Carnival season, and an all-women krewe, the Krewe of Iris, had blocked off both Napoleon and Claiborne Avenues adjacent to our hospital; we had to take a back route to sneak through). Asher made his appearance at 10:07 P.M. He weighs 6 pounds 3 ounces and is 19 inches long (the same as his brother and sister were at birth). He's already proven to be a champion breastfeeder, so that obviated one of Dara's biggest concerns with Asher being premature. Both Dara and Asher are doing great. Asher's nickname may end up being "Endymion," since he was born during that super-krewe's gigantic parade through Mid-City.

Mama and baby will be discharged this Tuesday, which is Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras Day -- it sure will be a challange to get them out of Uptown New Orleans, which will be a sea of parades. Wish us luck!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:36 am:   

Monday afternoon update: Dara and Asher are still doing great. The baby has been feeding regularly and making copious wet and dirty diapers (a detail you all couldn't live without, I know). This afternoon I'll be taking Levi over to the hospital for an hour or so to see his mommy and to meet his little brother. Dara and Asher will be coming home either tomorrow or Wednesday (I'm kinda hoping for Wednesday, since traffic will be much less insane on Ash Wednesday than on Fat Tuesday).

Diana Rowland
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   

I can't even imagine trying to get through New Orleans on Mardi Gras day. Heck, I try to avoid even going into the city for about a week prior to Mardi Gras. I would definitely stall until Wednesday if you can get insurance to cover an extra day. Congrats on the new addition!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 05:24 pm:   

Thanks so much, Diana. I know Dara really wants to stay an extra day, because she'll get to spend more in-person time with the lactation consultants and end up feeling more confident about taking Asher home. In my mom's childbearing years, women used to stay in the hospital following childbirth for a week or more. Them days are gone, gone, gone, unfortunately.

Kage Baker
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 05:56 pm:   

Congratulations!!! Felicitations!!! Mazel Tov!!!!!!

So... it would be Asher Wednesday?

Diana Rowland
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 07:15 pm:   

Andrew, I live on the Northshore and have been breastfeeding my little spawnlet for over nine months now. If your wife needs moral support, just let me know. :-)

There was a time about ten-fifteen years ago when women were shoved out of the hospital after only a day or so. Thankfully there's legislation now that makes the insurance companies pay for at least 3 days in the hospital for regular birth and 5 days for cesarean. (I think those are the right numbers. I won't swear to it.)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 03:04 pm:   

Congrats. Andy. Hope Asher and Dara are thriving. Happy Fat Teusday!

Lou Anders
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 03:05 pm:   

Hey Andy, I stumbled on this late, but a huge
congratulations to you all!

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 07:12 pm:   

That's wonderful news, Andy. Congratulations to you and your wife!

Michael Walsh
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   

Congrats!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 10:47 pm:   

Hey Andrew,
Congratulations! Delighted to hear mom and baby are doing well.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 08:42 pm:   

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful good wishes. As soon as Dara is feeling up to sitting in front of the computer, I'll show her this page. I'm sure she'll get a big smile out of it. It's Wednesday (yes, Kage, Ash-er Wednesday), and we arrived home this afternoon. Thank heavens my mother-in-law and the Martins are in the neighborhood to help out. It's going to be a real adjustment, learning how to cope with a fifteen-month-old and a newborn at the same time. But everyone is doing well. Asher seems perfectly satisfied with his basinet and new surroundings. Levi doesn't yet know what to make of him, but he knows something is up -- when our helper Stephenie tried bringing a boppie pillow from his room to Dara and Asher for them to use in our bedroom, Levi laid down on the floor and cried (that boppie stayed in his room). I don't expect to get much sleep for the next week or so as we settle into our new routine and I try to get Levi back onto a workable sleeping schedule. Please continue to wish us luck and to send waves of positive energy down N'Awlins way. As of this morning, by the way, the town looks as though Carnival never happened; that's how efficient they are at cleaning up the gigantic mess (the city probably doesn't get any cleaner than the morning after Fat Tuesday).

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   

Great news, Andy! (Of course, I had to find out about it *here*? You don't call, you don't write...my son the doctor, *he* calls!)

And did you happen to get a little something in the mail last month, btw?

Mikal

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 08:29 pm:   

Hey, Lou, I've been wanting to ask how your wife is coming along. Isn't she due in another couple of months? I hope she's feeling as good as she can be at seven months and that things are progressing just great with your first child. I apologize for not following up more aggressively with your comics and bookstore friends in Birmingham; perhaps when things quiet down a bit here, I'll look at making a weekend trip there -- maybe late spring???

Hi, Mikal! Yes, I know, I've been bad about keeping in touch. And yes, I did get the copy of the Andromeda magazine that you sent. It got to me just before the familial floodgates opened, so I haven't had a chance yet to do more than glance at it. However, I will give you a full report as soon as I give it my proper attention; and thanks so much for thinking of me and for sending it along.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 05:29 am:   

Hey, Andy...Baby pictures? What kind of parent are yuu to post no baby pictures" :-)

Andrew Fox
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 08:29 pm:   

Dear Lucius,

Me technologically illiterate (mostly). Will post pics if smart wife Dara can help show me how.

By the way, Asher continues to thrive, with both appetite and good looks that increase each day. Dara is also doing really well; she's recovering faster than either of us thought she would, thank heavens. Levi is starting to get a little more used to having a new brother in the house, I think (with a kid that can't talk yet, you can't really ask his opinion, but he doesn't cry anymore when he sees either Dara or me feed Asher a bottle, so I can only assume that he's growing acclimated to sharing us). Asher had his bris at our home last Sunday, and about forty of our friends showed in time to see me perform the cut, as I'd done fifteen months earlier for Levi (our friend, Dr. Fran Ivker, set up both boys with a metal clamp so that the procedure was both idiot-proof and nervous-daddy-proof). This ain't like a haircut, folks; if you take too much off the top, it won't grow back. But all went well.

Thanks again, everyone on these boards who passed along good wishes. Hey, Lucius, how was San Francisco?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 06:24 am:   

Hey, Andy, SF was fine. A lot of fun. The audiences were good and i had great time, stayed with Jeremy of NS and his wife Lisa, went drinking in North Beach at Vesuvio;s next to City Lights bookestore with J and Alan of Borderlands, did a radio int with Rick Klieffek down in Santa Cruz, etc etc...

Good news about Asher. Look forward to seeing him sometime.

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 01:03 pm:   

Why are mohelim so poor?

They only work for tips.

Mazel Tov to you and yours, Andy!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 09:06 am:   

Mikal, thanks so much for the good wishes (and the terrible joke, too). Lucius, I'm glad the Northern California part of your travels went well and that you had fun. I've never been to S.F. and have always wanted to visit City Lights Books. One of these days. By the way, Dara and I took the boys out on their first official family outing last night, a belated happy-birthday dinner for my mother-in-law Phyllis at our favorite sushi buffet joint in Metairie. Bundling both kids into the car wasn't as much of a pain as I thought it might be, and they were both pretty well behaved at the restaurant (the waiters segregated all the diners having small children into one corner, which was a little raucous, kind of like a Japanese Chucky Cheese, but without the bins of plastic balls to crawl through).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register