Feedback from Japan Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Feedback from Japan « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:17 am:   

I recently received a terrific email from Otani Mayumi, the translator who made the Japanese edition of Fat White Vampire Blues possible. He wanted to share with me some of the notices the novel has received in Japanese newspapers and magazines:

"I have some news about Japanese version of Fat White Vampire Blues. Lately, some magazines and newspapers introduced your novel. I write down some comments.

* The best comedy in this century!

* This novel's high spot is very unique characters (or freaks?!).

* It knocks the bottom out of the vampire literature !

* I have read many vampire books, but I have never read the one which talks about the taste of blood so yearningly. It is so indelicacy.

* For the people who loves New Orleans like me, this is a must-read book! There are many proper noun like "Canal street", "Magazin street", Master P, Fats Domino, the New Orleans Fans can enjoy so much!

* It is an absurd masterpiece!

I think, this book is the one which is read through the last and loved so much, or is put aside soon and hated. There is no middle reaction, that means, this novel is the real good one! I hope you will write fantastic novels like this more and more, for me and new readers in Japan."

Thanks so much, Otani! The Japanese edition looks marvelous, by the way. This is the first example of a Japanese paperback book I've ever seen -- it seems very durable (much more so than American-style trade paperbacks) and opens easily in the hand. I really hope you get the assignment to translate Bride of the Fat White Vampire soon. Happy New Year!

montmorency
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 08:31 am:   

Good reviews!

I believe "Mayumi" is a female name in Japan.:-)

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 08:47 am:   

Thanks. . . aside from Godzilla movies, Kurasawa films, and a bit of manga and anime, I'm pretty much culturally illiterate when it comes to Japan!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register