World Fantasy Convention Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » World Fantasy Convention « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 04:06 pm:   

Dara, Levi and I had a wonderful time in Tempe, Arizona at the World Fantasy Convention. It seemed as if at least half the Night Shade Books discussion boards regulars were there; I spent some really good hours with Lucius Shepard, John Picacio, Lou Anders, and Chris Roberson and his family. Lucius shared with me some very exciting publishing news that he'll probably reveal on his own section of the board within the next few days. I got to see some of John's most recent work (even more stunning than what I'd seen earlier), hear Chris read from his upcoming novel (I'll be among the first in line to buy it), and hear about Lou's latest (and possibly most significant) editorial projects.

One of the most wonderful aspects of attending conventions is getting to meet people whose work I've admired for years and tell them how much pleasure they've given me. My family had coffee with Patrick O'Leary, and we discovered that we had a very dear friend in common -- Father William Cunningham, founder of Focus:HOPE in Detroit, who taught Patrick years ago in the seminary and with whom I shared a professional link in the National Commodity Supplemental Food Program Association. Lucius introduced me to Jeff Ford and Lisa Goldstein, both wonderful and fun to talk with (plus, hearing their rich New Yawk accents was a treat; I've missed that ever since I moved away from Long Island fourteen years ago). I talked with Betty Ballantine for a minute, just long enough to tell her how much I'd enjoyed and devoured her company's paperbacks as a teen and thank her for starting the company that gave me my first entry into publishing. I met two old friends of George Alec Effinger's, Ed Bryant and Joe Haldeman, and I got a chance to tell Terry Bisson how much George had admired his short fiction (in the class I took with George at the University of New Orleans, George taught Terry's story "Bears Discover Fire" as an exemplar of modern short SF).

I was a little amazed by how many people I ran into whom I'd met previously at Capclave, Bubonicon, or ArmadilloCon. The world of fandom really is one big, extended family. I was extremely gratified to hear from so many people who'd enjoyed my first two books. It was also great to talk with the owners and staff of Borderlands Books (San Francisco), Edge Books (Louisiana), and Dream Haven Books (Minneapolis) and to hear that my books have been good sellers for them. Email is wonderful, but nothing can replace face-to-face contact.

Speaking of fandom as a big, extended family, it looks like the family is enjoying a bunch of new additions in the form of young 'uns. Chris Roberson's baby daughter Georgina showed off her Halloween finery, taking to her cat costume much better than Levi took to his gorilla outfit (which only stayed on him for a half-hour, since he was devilishly clever at peeling it off). And Lou Anders and his wife are expecting a new baby only a month after Dara and I have our second little boy. So who says fandom is dying out? If we can't attract newcomers from the outside, we just have to breed our own.

Chris Roberson
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 11:04 am:   

Andrew, it was great meeting your wife, and getting to see you and Levi again. Hopefully, now that you've seen what an amazing convention WFC can be, we'll see you again next year in Madison? The year after next it looks like WFC will be held in my backyard, here in Austin. We'll be dragging anyone left in town on Sunday night to a dead dog party at our house, so try to stick around till Monday, if you can!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 08:53 am:   

Andrew, I sent you an email. Did you receive it?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 11:14 am:   

Chris, it was great seeing your family, too. I'm not sure whether we'll be able to make WFC 2005 in Madison; we'll have a second little one at that time, and plane travel with two wiggle worms might be too much to handle at that point. WFC 2006 in Austin would be much more realistic, since we'll be able to drive to that one. I'll look forward to the "dead dog" party (just as long as no real dead dogs are present; my wife is a fervent animal lover).

Lucius, I got your email and have responded. Thanks so much again. I hope today isn't too much of a downer for you. . . but I suspect it is. Take care.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 01:28 pm:   

Dibs on the Roberson couch on Sunday night in '06!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   

Andy, I;m pretty much of the opinion that things wouldn't have been that rosy with kerry....Rosier, maybe. But nothing to shout about. The damage to the system has long been done.

Chris Roberson
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 03:16 pm:   

And a damned fine couch it is, Jim. So long as you don't mind waking up first thing in the morning to the gentle strains of Baby Einstein videos, the thing is yours. Hell, by that point, though, you'll probably have memorized all of them yourself, and be whistling along with me.

Chris Roberson
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 03:18 pm:   

Andy, I assure you, the only dead dogs present will be fully cooked. What do you think we are? Savages? (That said, we serve up a mean cat sashimi.)

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 11:19 am:   

Whoo whoo! I hit a hundred posts on my fortieth birthday! (And this makes it 101 posts.)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register