Ivan advancing on New Orleans???? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Ivan advancing on New Orleans???? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kage Baker
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 06:19 pm:   

Jeez Louise, Andy, I just heard a report that they're evacuating New Orleans!

Hope you and yours are okay...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:56 pm:   

Sounds like the worst of it's gonna miss NO.

Kage Baker
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 07:21 pm:   

Yes, it seems to have. But no word from Mr. Fox yet; sensibly waiting it out on high ground, I assume.

Meanwhile I'm meditating on the perfect casting for FAT WHITE VAMPIRE BLUES, should it be filmed (which it should).

John Goodman's my hands-down choice for Jules. And who on earth would be Doodlebug but the lovely Brini Maxwell?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 07:35 am:   

Dear Kage and Lucius,

Thanks so much for your concern. Turns out that my family and I did evacuate; Michael and Ann, a couple of SF convention friends of ours from North Mississippi, invited us to stay with them, just south of Memphis. A drive that normally takes six hours took us almost thirteen. We were stuck in the Greater New Orleans area for over six hours, mostly driving at a walking pace. The State Police delayed way too long on Tuesday opening up all lanes of I-10 to westbound traffic. By the time they put their contraflow plan into effect late Tuesday afternoon, hundreds of thousands of people were trapped on the roads. Dara and I took Levi, our baby, and six of our nine cats (all we could fit) in the Mercury. What a miserable trip. The cats were terrified and fought the entire trip, and Levi got so upset that he threw up all over the back seat, then started choking on his own vomit. I had to stop the car so Dara could get out and calm him down. Thank God that at that point, traffic was moving at a walking pace, so Dara was able to pull Levi out of the car seat and calm him down by walking alongside the car. Other drivers assumed she was homeless and offered her rides, which was extremely kind. Of course, we had to make our own bathroom facilities ad-hoc, since everything was closed and boarded up. All in all, about as awful a drive as I've ever experienced.

However, once we got to where we were heading, the trip became very pleasant. Michael and Ann were about the nicest hosts imaginable, giving us the run of their house and helping to watch after Levi. They are members of a synagogue in Memphis, so we were able to go with them to Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) services on Wednesday through Friday, plus a terrific holiday lunch with some of their friends. Levi enjoyed being walked around Mississippi country lanes in the cool early mornings. We were able to board the cats at Michael's and Ann's local vet clinic, which was a huge relief. Our drive home on Friday was much, much less stressful and congested than our drive north.

My heart and best wishes go out to those folks in Alabama and Florida who took the brunt of the storm. Dara and I have spent a lot of time in Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, and Pensacola, and I know those places got mauled. It's wonderful to live (or visit) right on the Gulf beaches, but it's also horribly dangerous to build on those barrier islands. Best of luck to everyone putting their lives back together.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 07:47 am:   

Glad to hear you're OK, Andrew.. Sounds like quite an adventure, but this too shall pass, huh? I hope notthing was damaged and you're settling back in...

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 09:17 am:   

Hey, Andy --

Glad it's over for you, or at least relatively so. What a rough ride. Best to you, Dara, and Levi.

See you in late October,
John

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   

The cats survived their ordeal (we had to stick two of them in one big cage, and that caused a lot of the commotion). The vets got them all cleaned up, updated their vaccinations, and sedated them but good before we headed home. Since they've been back on their territory for a few days now, they probably don't even remember the trip to Memphis. Thanks for asking, Lucius.

John, looking forward to seeing you, too, next month. I hope things are going well for you.

Kage Baker
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 06:36 pm:   

What a trip from Hell!

But thank God you're all okay. With any luck, Jeanne will peter out...

Chris Roberson
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:00 am:   

Oh, for the memory retention skills of a cat...

Andrew, glad to hear everything worked out alright in the end. In my experience, adventure has a habit of being really odious when it's happening to *you* and not to someone on the printed page.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register