Manga for Teenaged Girls--Any Great S... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Manga for Teenaged Girls--Any Great Suggestions? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 11:09 am:   

Dear Discussion Board Stalwarts,

Since everyone here has strong opinions on just about everything, ESPECIALLY pop culture, and many of you are much more "in the know" than I am about what's hip, hot, and happening, I thought I'd ask for some suggestions. My stepdaughter Natalie turns 13 this week, and like so many kids her age, she doesn't do a lot of reading for pleasure. However, I recently started buying her volumes of Love Hina, and she reads them as soon as she gets her hands on them. She absolutely loves them. She also enjoys Mad, Simpsons Comics, and horror tales. Once she's plowed through all the volumes of Love Hina, what should I start her on next? Most bookstores are full of manga nowadays, but I feel more than a little lost in that section. Any suggestions will be greatly, greatly appreciated!

rick
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:34 pm:   

DC comics is putting out a new line of Manga aimed at younger readers. You might want to take a look at those for your daughter. http://www.dccomics.com/cmx/ If you have a comics store in your town, that's a great resource for getting an insight on what would be suitable for a young girl.

John Schoffstall
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 11:12 pm:   

Suggestions:

Maison Ikkoku Contemporary romantic comedy.
Battle Angel Cyberpunky bildungsroman.
Magic Knight Rayearth High fantasy, girls-with-swords.
Revolutionary Girl Utena Surreal, ultra-romantic, post-modern. Girls and boys with swords.
Ranma 1/2 Martial arts and romantic comedy.

Note that conventions about nudity are different in Japan than in the US, and there is minor nudity in all of the above, IIRC. There is also considerable graphic violence in BA, but (IMO) it's justified in relation to plot and theme. There's violence in most of the others (except MI), but it's not graphic, and I would suspect not objectionable.

Matthew
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 01:36 pm:   

Nausicca of the Valley of The Wind by Miyazaki.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register