BRIDE Has Walked Down the Aisle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » BRIDE Has Walked Down the Aisle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:43 pm:   

I'm happy to report that my second book, Bride of the Fat White Vampire, has made its way down the long white runner to bookstores. I just enjoyed a very fun book launch weekend, participating all weekend in panels and readings at Crescent City Con in New Orleans (wonderful con staff there, by the way) and doing my inaugural reading/signing at Octavia Books in Uptown New Orleans. Tom and Judith, the owners of Octavia Books, are the perfect hosts for both their customers and visiting writers; this was the second year in a row I've done an event there, and I've yet to come across a more inviting, pleasant store. I really have to hand it to Tom and Judith for having the guts to open a new independent bookstore just a few years ago, in this age of mega-chains and 40% Wal-Mart discounts for best-sellers. They have made a go of it through creative, frequent programming, hosting numerous book discussion groups, and providing first-class (and personal) customer service.

My wife Dara and I really enjoyed our second year as guests at Crescent City Con. Unfortunately, it appeared that attendance was down, due to the last-minute cancellation by the con's headliner, actor David Carradine (and I'd really been looking forward to talking with him about his dad, 1940s "Dracula" John Carradine). However, that meant that the fans who did attend were the hardcore local and Gulf Coast SF fans, and less congestion meant it was easier to have lots of one-on-one conversations. An enormous pleasure for Dara and me (and for our nine-month-old son, Levi) was getting to meet author-guest-of-honor Kage Baker and her sister Kathleen. Kage and Kathleen wanted to see more of New Orleans than just the (suburban) con hotel, so I volunteered to take them out Saturday night. They both doted over Levi, who was on his best behavior the entire con (his fifth SF con, if you can believe it!), and they loved getting a chance to see some of the sights of Uptown New Orleans, one of the city's prettiest neighborhoods. We took them to our favorite CC's Coffeehouse, the spot where I wrote much of Fat White Vampire Blues, and then we all went to my reading and signing at Octavia Books. Fellow local writers Laura Joh Rowland (Shinju) and Patty Friedman (Second-Hand Smoke) made things even more festive by joining the audience. Then we went out for Lebanese food for dinner. After watching several 1920s-era streetcars glide past the restaurant's windows, Kage said she wanted to write a story set in New Orleans. I hope she'll come back and do more research and visit with us again.

Kage Baker
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:21 am:   

No question of it.

And Levi is adorable, and quite cosmopolitan in his outlook-- he put up with giant inflated Spider-Men, late hours, hundreds of people in outre costumes, and finally the two aforementioned old biddies-- me and sister Kate-- leaning down and goo-gooing over him, and never once lost his temper.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:46 am:   

A number of fans at conventions I've taken Levi to have complimented me on giving birth to the next generation of SF fans -- "If we can't attract new people to these cons, then we'll just have to make babies and indoctrinate them!"

Levi has been quite cooperative thus far. He is turning out to be a very social little guy, and not much throws him for a loop. The only time he became upset at a con was at Comic Con in San Diego, when I wanted to get a photo of him with a table full of Klingons (the Klingons were all having Cokes in the break area before doing a performance). The Klingons agreeably surrounded his stroller, and I started futzing with my camera, thinking this would be the greatest photo ever. . . but then a lady Romulan pulled out a HUGE plastic knife/cutlass and handed it to Levi to play with, and this just set him off. He started wailing, and all the Klingons jumped away from his stroller, terrified that they'd been the one to make my baby upset. So I wasn't able to get the photo. Drat!

(However, I did get a picture of Levi with a tie-fighter pilot and with a voluptuous Wonder Woman, so not all photo opportunities were a bust.)

We really enjoyed meeting you, Kage, and we hope you and Kathleen make it back down to the Big Easy soon!

Lou Anders
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 10:11 am:   

Hi Andrew,
Just stumbled on your board, so I wanted to drop in, say a belated welcome, and tell you how nice it was to meet you at Comic Con last month!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:38 am:   

Hi, Lou! Great to hear from you. I really enjoyed meeting you and your wife at Comic Con, too. By the way, John Picacio and I missed seeing you at ArmadilloCon this past weekend. John invited me out to dinner with Gary and Geri Turner of Golden Gryphon Press, Jess Nevins, and Chris Roberson and his wife and baby daughter. We went to Threadgill's, where the homestyle Texas food was terrific and they offered free seconds (or thirds, if you dare) on the sides. You were very much a subject of discussion. . . all good, of course!

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you if there is a bookstore (or stores) in Birmingham that might be a good spot for a Bride reading and/or signing? Birmingham isn't a terrible drive away from New Orleans (a little less than five hours), and I haven't yet hit any stores there. I know it's the headquarters of Books-A-Million -- do they have a showcase store there where they do events?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 08:19 am:   

Hi, Andrew...

We met at Armadillocon...perhaps you recall. Anyway, welcome to the board....

Lucius Shepard

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 08:21 am:   

Hi, Andrew...

We met at Armadillocon...perhaps you recall. Anyway, welcome to the board....

Lucius Shepard

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:22 am:   

Hi, Lucius! I first discovered the Night Shade Books discussion board after meeting you at ArmadilloCon, after I did some Google searching for you and your books. I just posted a message here about the benefits and drawbacks of touring, asking for feedback from other writers and readers. One example I listed of a plus of touring is getting to meet you at ArmadilloCon and how hearing you read from an upcoming novel made me a fan. Speaking of that book, when can all us fans expect to see An American Book of Prayer?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:58 am:   

Hi, Andrew...

The book's got a pub date of November, but copies should be available in a few weeks.... Thanks for asking, I enjoyed meeting you as well...

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 03:45 pm:   

Picked up BRIDE. . . I guess now I need to go find a copy of FAT WHITE. . .

Funny. One of my two local bookstores (both Borders, natch -- all the independent bookstores have gone out of business hereabouts) has two copies of FWVB and none of BRIDE, and the other has two of BRIDE and none of FWVB. Makes sense, huh?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:32 am:   

Thanks so much for hunting down the books. I've noticed that the chains seem to carry one or the other of the books, not both. Wonder why; a lot of readers who discover the books would be interested in buying both of them at once. Seems like the stores are missing out on some sales. What part of the country do you live in, by the way? Sorry to hear about the death and dearth of your local independents. Zoning restrictions have kept most superstores out of Uptown New Orleans, so the neighborhood has become a kind of protected reserve for small independent bookstores (Uptown boasts four independent bookstores, almost as many as the rest of the metro area combined). Hope you enjoy the books! Please let me know what you think.

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   

I live in DE, right below PA; I'm surrounded with Borders, with one B&N, and a Walden that just got closed because they were sick of competing with themselves.

I've heard unsubstantiated rumors of a used bookshop somewhere around, but besides that, our last independent bookseller, Encore Books, went out of business probably a decade ago now. It was nice, having a place where the people knew me, knew which books to order for me without my having to ask, would be willing to let it slide if I was a dollar or two short, because they knew I'd be good for it next time I came in. . . I was pissed when they went out of business.

I guess I should let you know that my buying your books in no way means I actually have time to read them right now -- it'll probably be a couple months at least before I can let you know what I think, and very likely it won't be until after school lets at the end of May.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 05:27 pm:   

No problem. I've got enough books in my own backlog to last me a couple of years, at least. But, as Harlan Ellison once said when a visitor asked him if he'd actually read all the thousands of books in his home, "Nope -- but what's the fun of owning a library of books you've already read?" I just like having 'em around, in any case; books are a comforting presence.

mastadge
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 06:16 pm:   

Me too. Plus, whenever I'm looking for a book, I'm guaranteed to have one around that matches my mood.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register