A Little Introduction. . . Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » A Little Introduction. . . « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:16 pm:   

Greetings and salutations to all participants in the Night Shade Books discussion boards. I'm Andrew Fox, New Orleans-based author of Fat White Vampire Blues and its sequel, Bride of the Fat White Vampire, just released from Ballantine Books to stores on August 3, 2004. I've been a reader of other writers' corners of this board for over a year now, and I've really enjoyed the lively discussions and announcements of latest publications and goings-on. Plus, I recently had the pleasure of meeting Kage Baker, who gave me a gentle shove in the direction of setting up my own posting area (us habitual procrastinators are often in need of a gentle shove).

I'm looking forward to hearing from other readers and writers and becoming an active member of this thriving virtual community. If any of you would like to take a peek at my website, just follow the bouncing ball to The (Really) Official Andrew Fox Website. Have fun!

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:30 am:   

Hi Andrew,
As you already know, I quite loved your first novel, but I was wondering if you had any non-Fat White Vampire stuff in the pipeline?
Also:
I'm putting together a Halloween special for my zine Lost Pages ( http://lostpages.net ), should you want to contribute, the guidelines are here:
http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/631/2591.html

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:32 pm:   

Hi, Claude! Thanks so much for the welcoming note. I really appreciated your sympathetic and insightful review of Fat White Vampire Blues last year. Yes, I do have some non-Jules Duchon books in the pipeline. The folks at Ballantine are considering acquiring an SF black comedy from me called Calorie 3501. The book is mostly an "if this goes on. . ." extrapolation of America's obsession with dieting and weight-loss (hey, I work for the Louisiana Nutrition Section--I can't avoid this issue!). It begins as an homage to Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and spins off from there. The story's primary mcguffin is a vacuum jar filled with the liposuctioned belly fat of Elvis Presley, extracted from him just before his death in 1977. My protagonist, retired plastic surgeon Louis Shmalzberg (whose father performed the Elvis liposuction), functionaries of the Graceland Corporation, and various and sundry foreign agents all have their own shadowy reasons for wanting to acquire or reacquire this artifact. In the end, the book dares to ask this burning question: can Elvis save the world after he's been dead for sixty-four years?

I'm also at work on an alternate history novel called The Smelting Fire, set in the American South during 1862 and 1914. I wrote the book-within-the-book (the 1862 part) a number of years ago (it was actually my first genre novel, which I never sold); I'll spend the next eight or nine months writing the framing story, set in 1914.

Thanks so much for the invitation to submit to the Halloween issue of Lost Pages. I've got a few "creepy" stories sitting on my hard drive that I'll take a look at and maybe polish up for your consideration. Great to hear from you!

Kage Baker
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:16 am:   

Hey, Andy, delighted to see you made the scene!

And even happier to see the projects you have lined up. The more good writers on this board, the better.

Regarding my visit to New Orleans-- I'm not sure just what laws of physics were bent, but I somehow lost weight while there. There aren't any vampires doing liposuction, are there?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:52 am:   

Actually, the additional pounds you gained in New Orleans decided to hang around town for a week or so to catch some jazz and zydeco; they didn't want to miss Jason Marsalis jamming with the ghosts of Louis Prima and Buddy Bolden at the Funky Butt. But they'll be heading for California to rejoin you soon.

Thanks for giving me that gentle "shove" to get me onto this discussion board, Kage. I'm enjoying being here!

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:57 am:   

Hi Andrew,

Fat White Vampire Blues was terrific and I was delighted to read about the sequel in Locus; looking forward to it.

No one's been crass enough to bring it up but I thought what the hell. I'd imagine most people would consider New Orleans the private preserve of Anne Rice insofar as vampires are concerned. How has the reaction been locally? Any calls from La Rice?

Cheers,

Bruce Chrumka
Calgary, Canada

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:39 pm:   

Hi again Andrew,

I should have said "...most fans of Anne Rice would consider New Orleans her private preserve vis-a-vis vampires." She, obviously, has legions of fans though I can't number myself among them. I do recall enjoying 'The Vampire Lestat' when I read it a long time ago but little else.

Bruce

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:23 am:   

Dear Bruce,

Actually, Anne is no longer a resident of New Orleans. She has sold off her various mansions, businesses and properties in Orleans Parish and moved out to a gated community in the suburbs. Is this due to her stated intention of "simplifying her life"? Or can it be that she can't take the competition from the fat white vampire?????

Seriously, though, I've never heard so much as a peep from Anne, nor do I expect to. I would have to garner way, way more public attention than I do to show up on her radar screen. Happily, I haven't (yet) encountered any negative reactions from any of Anne's fans here in New Orleans. Even the Goth youngsters who roam the Quarter, who come in for a good deal of joshing in the two books, have been very sweet and very complimentary when they've spoken to me at cons.

Thanks so much for your kind comments, and I'm glad you enjoyed the first book. Hurry out and buy Bride! I think it's even better than FWVB.

M.M.Buckner
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:43 am:   

Hi Andy,
Thank you for your wise and helpful words about book signing. You have a great attitude toward the whole venture of promotion, and it sounds like you have fun with it, too. Hope to see you again soon.
Wishing you great success,
Mary

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:42 am:   

Great to hear from you, Mary! Everyone who enjoys SF with a cyberpunk flavor (and everyone else, too) should check out Mary's two books -- last year's Hyperthought and this summer's Neurolink. Hyperthought was nominated for the Philip K. Dick Award, and Mary has been getting kudos from lots of other writers. She attends most of the SF cons in the Tennessee area, so if you get the chance, check out her books and go hear her talk at a con.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 08:53 am:   

Hi Andy,

If I'd perused your website a little more carefully, I wouldn't have asked you about Anne Rice: for those interested, check out

http://www.andrewfoxbooks.com/fqafwvb.htm

What would you consider your three [or five] favorite vampire novels or stories?

Cheers, Bruce

Adele
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:41 am:   

Hi Andrew!

I've just bought copies of both "Fat White Vampire Blues" and "Bride of the Fat White Vampire"! I'm proud to say that you now now have another fan!

As an aspiring literature major in my 30's, it is books like yours that keep me passioned about the craft of writing.

Thanks so much!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:10 pm:   

Bruce, I have to admit that I haven't been as big a fan/follower of vampire literature over the years as I have of vampire movies. I haven't read more than the tiniest fraction of the tsunami of vampire lit that has come out over the past thirty years; and most of what I've read predates the 1970s. That said, favorites include Richard Matheson's I Am Legend, Henry Kuttner's "I, Vampire," and Theodore Sturgeon's Some of Your Blood. I've heard great things about Kim Newman's Anno Dracula and Lucius Shepard's The Golden and would like to hunt down copies of those books. One of my favorite SF novels, Robert Silverberg's Dying Inside, about the twilight years of a telepath whose powers are fading, could be considered, very obliquely, a vampire-like tale. My favorite comics treatment of the vampire theme remains Gene Colan's and Marv Wolfman's classic Tomb of Dracula series from the 1970s, which is now being reprinted in a series of Essential Marvels collections. Great stuff, and loads of fun!

Adele, thanks so much for all the kind words. Knowing that my books can meet up with readers like yourself help make it all seem worthwhile and exciting.

Adele
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:20 am:   

Andrew,

You're very welcome. :c)

Adele

Bruce
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 07:37 am:   

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your comments. I haven't seen all that many vampire movies, probably since being traumatized by Count Yorga, Vampire when I was nine or so. Kidding aside, I still recall the scene with the wolves barging through the windows...great nightmare fodder.

Kim Newman's 'Anno Dracula' trilogy is excellent as is Lucius Shepard's 'The Golden'. Describing it as a murder mystery in a vampiric Gormenghast doesn't do it any justice. And, like you, I'm highly anticipating 'A Handbook of American Prayer'!

Other works in the genre you might like:

The Vampire Tapestry by Suzy McKee Charnas
The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers
Queen of the Night [novelette] by Gene Wolfe

...not to mention George R.R. Martin, Stephen King, Dan Simmons, Robert R. MacCammon, etc.

Just picked up 'Bride...' and looking forward to some time to read!

Bruce

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 07:52 am:   

Bruce, thanks for the suggestions. You happen to have mentioned a bunch of favorite writers of mine -- Suzy McKee Charnas, Tim Powers, Gene Wolfe, and Dan Simmons are all near the top of my list. I've got George R.R. Martin's and Dan Simmons' vampire novels sitting on my shelf, as yet unread (so many books, so little time. . .), and I'm trying to get my hands on anything by Tim Powers, since The Anubis Gates completely flabergasted me with its brilliance.

Funny you should mention Count Yorga. One of the seminal moments of my childhood was when my father took me to the drive-in theater to see a double feature of Scream, Blacula, Scream! and The Return of Count Yorga. Of the two movies, Yorga was by far the scarier, especially since [SPOILER ALERT!!!] it had its hero become a vampire at the very end.

But the most frightening vampire experience I had as a little kid was when my dad put a poster of Bela Lugosi as Dracula up in my bedroom. It pictured Dracula walking down the stone steps of his castle and staring out, hypnotically, at persons in front of the poster. He hung it near the back door of my room, and for weeks I refused to use that door, sure that Dracula would reach out of the poster, grab me, and pull me into his castle. Of course, I experienced a series of Dracula nightmares. The poster ended up in the back yard, glued to a wall beneath a picnic/barbeque shelter, next to a poster of the Three Stooges. It was much easier for me to avoid back there. Eventually it got all mildewed and my dad tore it down.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 09:40 am:   

Do you have any appearances scheduled here in New Orleans, Andy, or have I missed the boat?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 12:43 pm:   

Dear Nathan,

Looks like you're in luck! This being Halloween month, I've got several appearances scheduled in the Greater New Orleans area (plus some a bit farther afield). Tuesday, 10/19, I'll be doing a reading and signing at Bookends Bookstore in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, just an hour or so east of N.O. (111 Highway 90, Bay St. Louis, MS, 601-467-9683). Saturday, 10/23, I'll be at the Metairie Barnes and Noble from 2-4 P.M. signing books (3721 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie, 504-455-5135). Monday, 10/25, I'll be doing probably my most unusual and "atmospheric" local reading and appearance; from 7-9 P.M. or so I'll be at the Boutique du Vampyre in Pirates Alley in the French Quarter (504-561-8267), right next to St. Louis Cathedral (in the same neck of the woods where key scenes from INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE were filmed). My last local appearance of the month will be on Wednesday, 10/27, at 7 P.M., for a reading, discussion and signing at the Jefferson Parish East Bank Regional Library, 4747 West Napoleon Avenue, Metairie (504-838-1190).

Dara, Levi and I will also be making a couple of out-of-town trips this month, to Northern Virginia and Tempe, Arizona. Here's where we'll be alighting:

Friday, October 15, 7 P.M., signing
Olsson’s Books
2111 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA
(703) 525-4227

Friday, October 15 to Sunday, October 17, reading and panel appearances
Capclave
Tysons Corner Marriott, 8028 Leesburg Pike
Vienna, VA
(703) 734-3200

Thursday, October 28 to Sunday, October 31, signing and appearances
World Fantasy Convention
Tempe Mission Palms Hotel, 60 East 5th Street
Tempe, AZ
(800) 547-8705

So Nathan, I hope we'll get a chance to see you at at least one of the above events. You can't say I don't make an effort to get out there and make myself available! Thanks for inquiring.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 09:57 pm:   

Absolutely! I'll see you at Pirate's Alley.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register