HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Dodged a Bullet with Gustav

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Dodged a Bullet with Gustav « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew_fox
Username: Andrew_fox

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   

The West Bank of Orleans and Jefferson Parishes was under serious threat from this storm. That's where my family and I live. The levee system surrounding the Harvey Canal has never been completed, and won't be finished until 2011. Thankfully, it appears that storm surge coming into the area was far less than looked probable on Sunday. It's too soon to breathe a sigh of relief, though, as the Monday of Katrina's strike (almost exactly three years ago), it looked as though New Orleans got through fine, but twelve hours later, levees began failing all over the East Bank.

My family and I are in Olive Branch, Mississippi, about eight miles south of Memphis. This is the same town we evacuated to four years ago, when Ivan threatened the Gulf Coast. We're staying in a Comfort Suites. The kids are loving the swimming pool. Earlier today we went to a county fair. This is our "hurrication." We didn't take any vacation trips earlier in the summer, so this is it. Folks have been really nice here, and we're staying with a bunch of other Louisiana evacuees.

I'll post another note once we return home or have more news.

Andrew_fox

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 09:08 am:   

We're trying to find out when power will be restored to our neighborhood (it's Wednesday morning, 11 A.M.). If it were just Dara and me, we'd rough it without electricity for a few days, but we can't do that with the three kids. We hope to be able to get on the road back home tomorrow, Thursday. The schools in our area are planning to reopen on Monday, so that means they're anticipating restored power by the weekend at the latest.

Gordon_van_gelder
Username: Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 723
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 02:00 pm:   

Thanks for the updates, Andy.

Andrew_fox

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 07:44 pm:   

We heard from two friends of ours that our section of Algiers remains completely dark. So we won't be returning earlier than Friday. On the bright side, police patrols are frequent. Today and yesterday we've been experiencing the fringes of the storm here in Olive Branch. I walked the boys over to the neighboring Ford dealership (Homer Skelton Ford -- gotta love that name) after dinner and let them crawl around the pickups and SUVs. . . they adore trucks.

Andrew_fox

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 08:45 am:   

I saw a message from State Representative Tom Arnold that our neighborhood of Aurora Gardens-New Aurora suffered from higher than average downings of power lines, so the whole neighborhood remains dark. Surrounding neighborhoods are being restored, so I hope our neighborhood won't take too much longer. We've delayed our return to Saturday. Our friend Butch Martin, who returned home yesterday, is cleaning out our refrigerator for us, before the yeeech spreads and we have to junk the thing.

Gordon_van_gelder
Username: Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 724
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 01:46 pm:   

How did you wind up with Roseanne Barr's ex-husband as your Rep?

Andrew_fox

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   

Just dumb, blind luck, Gordon.

Still no power as of Friday night. So tomorrow morning's departure is up in the air. Looks like my area may be among the very last of the New Orleans neighborhoods to be repowered. Again, dumb, blind luck.

Geraldda
Username: Geraldda

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 08:12 pm:   

Or maybe there's an energy-based life from from an antimatter universe in the neighborhood.

Geraldda
Username: Geraldda

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   

I meant life form.

Lori
Username: Lori

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 09:40 am:   

I hope you and your family made it back safely to a fully powered house.

I got phone service back on the 3rd, electricity back late on the 4th, and cable back yesterday. I now hope that all those services didn't come back up just for breezes from Ike to blow them down again.

I'm thinking positively, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Andrew_fox

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 04:24 pm:   

Best of luck to you, Lori. We got back in our house late last Saturday night. I didn't start unpacking my bags until this morning, when I felt finally sure that Ike would pass us by. It's been a little surreal, working on an urban fantasy novel about a killer hurricane during this particular hurricane season.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |