HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Greetings from Readercon

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Greetings from Readercon « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon_van_gelder
Username: Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 690
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 08:51 pm:   

Andy---

At Readercon this past weekend, Marty Halpern made a point of passing along your greetings to both me and to Nathan Ballingrud. (It just wound up that all three of us had dinner together on Saturday.) Marty seems to be giddy about your novel and Nathan says it's with good reason.

Andrew_fox
Username: Andrew_fox

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:59 am:   

Dear Gordon,

Thanks so much for passing this along. Before Marty traveled to Readercon, I emailed him a list of friends I wanted him to greet for me. I'm glad he had a chance to have dinner with you and Nathan. It's great to hear that Marty's so enthusiastic about The Good Humor Man. He's been fantastic to work with as an editor.

Andrew_fox

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   

Gordon, did you get the chance to spend any time with Barry Malzberg? How is he looking/feeling after his major operation a couple of months back?

Gordon_van_gelder
Username: Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   

I didn't spend enough time with Barry, but he seemed to be his usual self---after Jonathan Lethem and I did our panel discussion on genre-vs.-mainstream, he came up to us and praised Jonathan very highly. And I thought I saw Paul Di Filippo and Debra Newton accompanying the Malzbergs on their morning walk on Saturday.

Andrew_fox

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   

Thanks for the update, Gordon. Readercon has always sounded so appealing. One of these years, I'll make it there. I haven't hit a single convention since Katrina, but I plan to attend a good handful next year, when the new book comes out.

A couple of nights ago, I told my friend Marian Moore (who attended Readercon) that my ideal birthday present would be to sit in the same room with Barry Malzberg for eight hours straight (with bathroom breaks, of course, plus plentiful coffee) and just listening to the man talk. One of my best memories ever is moderating a discussion panel at a small Dallas con on forgotten SF writers, where two of the panelists were Bob Sheckley and Barry Malzberg. Barry simply blew me away with the depth of his knowledge and discernment, plus the almost unnatural ease with which he accesses his facts. He is one of a kind, and I pray he'll be around as long as Jack Williamson.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |