HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The Good Humor Man

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » The Good Humor Man « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martyh
Username: Martyh

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   

So, Andy, how about telling everyone about The Good Humor Man, Or Calorie 3501!

(I know, I'm putting you on the spot!)

Cheers,
- marty

Andrew_fox
Username: Andrew_fox

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 04:21 pm:   

Glad to oblige, Marty. Sorry it's taken me so long; I've been a bit under the weather, but am doing better now.

My next novel, The Good Humor Man, Or, Calorie 3501, after many long months of seeking an accomodating home, will be published by Tachyon Publications of San Francisco in March, 2009. Set in the year 2041, ranging from San Diego to Memphis to New Orleans to Miami Beach and Las Vegas, it follows the quest of former plastic surgeon/liposuctionist Louis Shmalzberg to reclaim his honor, dignity, and a precious family heirloom -- the long-preserved liposuctioned belly fat of none other than The King, Elvis Presley. In Louis's world, and thanks in part to his misguided efforts, a pound of genuine chocolate is worth more on the black market than a kilo of cocaine, and bands of government-sanctioned vigilantes known as the Good Humor Men patrol the streets, seeking to burn all contraband, fattening food products and thus limit the cost of state-provided health care. But the craze for svelte healthfulness has gotten out of hand, and a mysterious wasting plague threatens to consume all mammalian flesh on the planet. And only the the lost mortal remains of The King may provide a defense. . .

Gonzo in the great tradition of Tim Powers (if I may say so myself), with a major nod of the hat to Ray Bradbury and his classic Fahrenheit 451.

Lori
Username: Lori

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 07:25 am:   

Yay!!! I will wait with baited breath until it appears on amazon.com for pre-ordering.

And it reminds me, the other day as I was driving home from a meeting in Lafayette, a car passed me that said "Weight Enforcement" on the door and "Police" on the back. I thought, "Oh my God! It's the Weight Enforcement Police and I had three cookies at that meeting! Don't let them get me!" Then I laughed like an idiot for about three miles. (The car also had the logo for the Dept. of Transportation and Development on the door, so I don't think they were really after me, but still...)

Based on my reaction to the Weight Enforcement Police, I suspect your book will definitely strike a chord with me (and with many other non-svelte people).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |