HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The Castle books - Spoilers galore!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Swainston, Steph » The Castle books - Spoilers galore! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steph
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 09:59 am:   

On THE MODERN WORLD thread, Jody said:

Hi Steph,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I loved the book. Just one little question, hopefully trying to avoid any spoilers for anybody else who hasn't read it yet..

Why was the Vermiform so concerned about helping rescue Jant & **** from the Shift? She doesn't really seem to care about the Fourlands or its inhabitants from her other appearances.

Thanks for the books!

Steph
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:40 am:   

Hi Jody

There's a lot simmering in the background here. The Vermiform is working for Dunlin, an Awian king who landed in the Shift in the first book. Dunlin hates the Insects, not surprisingly since they caused his death and transition to the Shift, and he is still fighting Insects in the Shift worlds. He's good at it. Really good.

Dunlin has gathered lots of Shift armies and, since he's an excellent commander, the various creatures in Epsilon are working together effectively. When Dunlin sees Cyan appear in the Shift he wants to return her to the Fourlands. The Gabbleratchet snatches her and he asks the Vermiform to fetch Jant and save her.

Actually, the Vermiform would be quite happy to leave both Jant and Cyan in the Shift. It's scared of the Gabbleratchet and doesn't want to get involved, but it is following orders from Dunlin who would kick its arse (its worm-tails) if it disobeyed.

This is referred to, but maybe if you blink you'll miss it. The Vermiform is rather awed by Dunlin but above all is glad that someone can make the Shift inhabitants work together against the Insects that destroyed its world. The Vermiform compares Dunlin positively with Emperor San later during the dam battle.

Dunlin and his followers continue to make incredible changes, not just in Epsilon but across many worlds.

Sethm
Username: Sethm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 07:21 am:   

Hi everyone,

Another first time poster here as well. Just finished The Modern World in the last 30 secs and I think it's the best of the three books so far. TYoOW started the series very strongly, but I felt the first half of NPLT was struggling, but TMW totally blew me away!

Anyway, re: the Vermiform (who is an amazing character/entity BTW) - I felt it was fairly clear why she wanted to help even apart from Dunlin ordering her to. She knew what the Insects can do, and did do, to hers and so many other worlds, and wants to help the Fourlands avoid the same fate, in her own way. Her discussion with San seemed to highlight her appreciation (you couldn't call it love I don't think) of all worlds and their right to exist free from the threat of Insects.

Anyway, that's my rambling thoughts on the matter ;o)

Steph_swainston
Username: Steph_swainston

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 07:58 am:   

Hi, Sethm

Yes, that's true. The Verm has seen many intricate and beautiful worlds covered over with paper and doesn't want the Fourlands to go the same way. It knows that when a world is infested, the Insects can find their way through from it, to endanger even more worlds.

I wasn't struggling with the first half of NPLT though.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |