The "Midlands school" of horror writi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williams, Conrad » The "Midlands school" of horror writing? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 09:51 am:   

It seems to be that there has been an emergence of writers from the Midlands of England... writers who may have moved away from the midlands, but who's work seems to be part of a school, or movement, or maybe its just a coincidence.

I'm thinking, of course, of Conrad Williams, Joel Lane, Nick Royal, Graham Joyce, and perhaps a few others that I may be forgetting... (Is Michael Marshal Smith from the midlands? Is Liverpool considered the midlands(Ramsey Campbell)?.

Am I on to something here, or is this just coincidence and there is nobody behind the curtain. Please advise. ;)

conrad
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:10 am:   

Hi Jeremy

Of those writers you've mentioned - strictly speaking - only Joel Lane and Graham Joyce are from the Midlands. Nick, Ramsey and I (and MMS, who was born in Knutsford, Cheshire) are writers from the North-West. Mike Harrison was born in Rugby, so I suppose he can be classed as a Midlands writer. Joel's work is based in the Midlands more often than not. If you want to know Birmingham and its environs, read Joel Lane. Read him anyway - he's a terrific writer.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 08:16 pm:   

ah. I'm doing what I can to perpetuate the ignorant American stereotype. The nuance of different English and British regions are still largely beyond me, though I am better then Jason.

Given the number of British and English authors we publish, it might behoove us to get a better grasp of the regional subtleties.

Thanks for the "map" of where you all came from.

While reading Joel’s collection, I came to the mistaken conclusion that "the black country” referred to the entire midlands. Joel politely corrected my mistaken assumption. :-)

I hope to have a final contents and title for Joel's collection any day now. He’s been very patient with my slow ass editorial process.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration