Welcome Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Williams, Conrad » Welcome « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Conrad
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:39 am:   

Hi everyone. Thanks to NSB for allowing me space on their messageboard. I'm a UK writer of weird fiction. I've been published in magazines and anthologies since the late '80s. Had two novels published - HEAD INJURIES and LONDON REVENANT as well as the collection from NSB, USE ONCE, THEN DESTROY (beautiful work, guys!) and a couple of novellas - NEARLY PEOPLE (PS Publishing) and GAME (Earthling). I look forward to chatting with you. Please drop by and say hello.

EDatlow
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:40 pm:   

Hi Conrad. Welcome to the BB!

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   

Welcome. Looking forward to reading USE ONCE, THEN DESTROY.

conrad
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 01:11 pm:   

Thanks Ellen, Mastadge. Hope you enjoy the collection... I didn't realise just how bleak a writer I was until I saw all these stories grouped together. I ought to cheer up!

EDatlow
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 03:16 pm:   

But that's what we love about your work, Conrad :-)

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 09:41 am:   

I have to say, USE ONCE... certainlly gave Tim Lebbon's WHITE AND OTHER TALES... a run for its money, when it comes to utter bleaknesss. I think, though, that Joel Lane's forthcoming collection from Night Shade might "top" both of you this department. ;)

Comming soon... a three way cage match between Tim Lebbon, Conrad Williams, and Joel Lane....

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 01:28 pm:   

Never even heard of Joel Lane. . .

EDatlow
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:49 pm:   

Cool. I love Joel Lane's work.
Mastadge, another terrific UK writer. Bleak as hell.
Reprinted a story of his in YBFH#16

EDatlow
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:50 pm:   

Jeremy,
Is it coming out in 2004 and will there be originals in it?

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:05 am:   

Ellen,

The Joel Lane collection is a 2005 book, and will have originals.

Jason

conrad
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:13 am:   

As mentioned in the other thread, Joel is a great writer, criminally underexposed. His short stories are legendary among British horror writers. His novels are pretty special too: 'From Blue to Black' and 'The Blue Mask'. He was a big influence when I was trying to break through.

des
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:50 pm:   

I agree with Conrad wholeheartedly. Joel is one of my all-time favourite writers.
(As is Conrad, as well! - I was blown away by his HEAD INJURIES)
des

EDatlow
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:43 pm:   

Jason,
Thanks. Terrific! Very much looking foward to it.

richard
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 08:36 am:   

Hi Conrad,

I loved HEAD INJURIES - calling it bleak is a bit like calling Glaswegian weather damp. Chilling and shattering were more the adjectives that came to mind. I'd actually forgotten I owned it - it was given to me by a (I think) mutual friend, Alan Young, when it first came out with the Do Not Press back in '98, and I only recently got it back in a crate of my books that had been mouldering away in storage in Madrid. It was only when I unpacked it, I made the connection with your name here and elsewhere, so I'm now off to chase up the other titles sharpish.

One question - was the death in lechuguilla based on something you'd actually come across in real life? It sort of chimed heavier than other parts of the book. Made my palms sweat for days afterwards...

Conrad
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 08:01 pm:   

Thanks Richard. I'm still fond of HEAD INJURIES. I've even written a short story, The Return, which is a sequel to those events in Morecambe and Warrington (written out of surprise that the original novel was completed ten years ago).

The death in Lechuguilla was unconnected to anything I've experienced, thank God. I had a nightmare in 1991 that I was pushed into a vertical hole in the ground, head first, my hands tied behind my back, and left there. Which bothered me a bit. Speleology is a kind of volunteer version of that, and it fascinates me. I've done most of the outdoor pursuits stuff in my time, but no thanks to caving.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration