HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

A question about Mars Hill

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » A question about Mars Hill « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sodadreamer
Username: Sodadreamer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   

Dear Elizabeth Hand,

I'd just like to say that I love your work. I'm addicted to your writing. In the last month, I bought Mortal Love, Last Summer at Mars Hill, Generation Loss (paperback I'm still waiting for) and Illyria, even thought I'm a skint student. I'm amazed by your writing and the feelings and imagery it evokes, especially being an aspiring writer myself. I've been working on a story for almost a year and it just died on me! I can't do anything with it- probably because I don't have enough time doing a degree in biology (I realized too late I'm on the wrong course).
Anyway I'm just wondering about the character Aeriel in Mars Hill. She isn't mentioned in Glimmering even though Moony and Jason are. He seems to be alone with Mrs Grose. What happenned to her? I do have to say, Glimmering is my favourite book by you so far- I think about it the most.
Anyway, hopefully I'll get a reply to this sometime in the next year- there hasn't been much recent activity on this board has there?

Zain
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz_hand
Username: Liz_hand

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 04:30 am:   

Hey Zain,

Thanks for writing, and thanks for your kind words. It took me awhile to get back onto here as I forgot my password and the discussion board was down for several months.

My own thought as regards Ariel is that she left Mars Hill to be with her daughter Moony and Jason. The implication there of course is that her cancer would recur (but maybe not). But I didn't want to add another death to the weight of the novel, so I let that observation pass.

Glimmering is very near to my heart as well, though it's a difficult book, very emotionally wrenching (for me, anyway). Especially now that we seem to be living in a real world that resembles that fictional one ...

Thanks again for writing --

Liz

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |