Generation Loss Podcast Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » Generation Loss Podcast « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Christmas came early this year!!!!Elizabeth Hand05-02-07  03:49 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 02:59 am:   

I've finally posted a podcast from Generation Loss -- check it out!

Note: not for kids ...

http://www.elizabethhand.com/2007/gen_loss.mp3

PM
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 04:53 am:   

Thanks for doing this!

Now if only the book will actually be released...

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:03 am:   

Well, it's supposed to be released now. Are you still having trouble finding it?

PM
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:25 am:   

Amazon has it listed as preorder. Buy.com has it listed as out of stock.

Sure, I could preorder it but:

A. Sometimes books miss the publication date.

B. I like to get free shipping ($25 purchase) and as I understand it the order doesn't ship until it's all in stock.

So yeah it's frustrating. Especially when the publication date is wrong. All we can do is wait and try to be patient :-)

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   

I just spoke to my editor/publisher, who said it has shipped from the distributor and should arrive (or hopefully has arrived) at stores any day now. Amazon should have it by early next week at the latest, so disregard their June shipping date.

The delay originated with the printer, not the publisher, and the initial printing (wrong paper), so it all had to be done all over again from scratch. One of those maddening mistakes that had a ripple effect, though it's all been fixed.

But I have a finished copy -- it does exist! -- and it really looks fantastic. The production is beautiful, ditto the cover art. So I think it will be worth waiting for. As an artifact, anyway -- I'll hope people like what's inside!

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   

PS -- And thanks for your patience. I really hate this kind of thing, as a writer but also as a reader. Or a listener, when it happens with new CDs.

Another reason to podcast!

PM
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 02:34 pm:   

Is that your Brooklyn voice on your podcast?

Hopefully you'll be able to do some more!

Any thoughts on this as an eBook?

Glad to hear the printers had more success second time around!

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 03:00 am:   

I'd love to do the entire book. We'll have to wait and see -- I recorded that in a studio and had to pay for the studio time myself, and unfortunately I can't afford to do that for the amount of time it would take to lay down the entire novel. That section was pretty much done in one take; the whole book would probably be about 20 hours. So, time-consuming and expensive. But really, really intense!

It's actually my Yonkers voice -- I grew up in Yonkers, lived there till I was ten, when we moved further north to Pound Ridge. I tapped into it for the reading. That was fun.

PM
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 05:08 am:   

Lost in Yonkers :-)

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 07:35 am:   

FYI, I received an email from Amazon the other day, asking me if I still wanted to keep my order for Generation Loss. The reason? According to them, the book won't ship until June 30 to July 4. Of course, that's balderdash, but I'm sure some people out there have canceled their orders because of it.

PM
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 08:10 am:   

Yet Crowley's Aegypt ending cycle volume is here ahead of schedule...conspiracy? :-)

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 09:46 am:   

Yeah, other folks have told me about the Amazon thing. Sigh. Nothing I can do about it, except hope they find the book somewhere else. Kind of an author's nightmare.

Lost in Yonkers indeed ...

justin headrick
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 03:42 pm:   

yes amazon sent me the same message as above...
i found a kind soul online who's passing a copy along to me ASAP...so hopefully end of this week or beiginning of next.
i'm not a patient person on some things...although i'm quite sure the book will be worth the wait.

Mark Amore
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 04:59 pm:   

Hi Liz!!!
Hope you're well!
I'm still waiting for my copy too!
Amazon doesn't have it yet. And none of Barnes & Noble's warehouses have stock either.
I worked for a small press distributor/wholesaler and release dates were never written in stone.
Can't wait though!!!

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 02:55 am:   

Thanks for your patience, guys. I buy stuff online from ABE, too, when I get tired of waiting (just like the old Kinks song).

But my publisher assures me (again!) that Amazon will be shipping them and we should all disregard the Amazon messages.

Mark, I'm sorry I've never gotten my Myspace page together -- my son started one for me, but when I tried to customize it my computer froze and I gave up. Maybe after I get some of this book tour behind me -- I looked at yours and it was really cool!

Mark in CT
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:56 am:   

Just to let you all know...
Barnesandnoble.com has it in stock ready to ship in 24 hours!!!!

justin headrick
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 03:52 pm:   

mine arrived today! need to find some alone time now...not much chance of that happening for a while.

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 04:07 pm:   

Hey Justin -- I gather you're reading it in traffic? watch for those changing lights!

justin headrick
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 07:17 pm:   

yes, after taking my son to fencing, i then read at all stop lights on the way to pick up tickets for Spiderman for the family later in the weekend....just stopped long enough to get kids inside for supper and now bed...debating if i should stay up or try to sleep knowing it's there, waiting for me.
i'd better try to prolong it...

thanks again!

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 03:04 am:   

Fencing, eh? My niece does fencing -- she's a junior in HS. I'e been to some of her tournaments and follow her from afar (she only lives in Kennebunk). Cool sport!

I'll tell my sister that's how she should read the book -- my younger niece has just taken up fencing, too, so she spends a LOT of time driving them around.

justin headrick
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 03:33 pm:   

yes stuck in traffic today on he way home from work got through anothe 25 pages. stop and go...might as well get something worthwhile done.

terrific, as expected. i like that the main character is still not at all redeemable...

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 03:24 am:   

Yeah, I definitely did NOT want her to clean up, sober up, or otherwise become a model citizen. She's pure Id. As Joey Ramone put it, "Everybody's screwed up in their own special way."

Sara George
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:29 am:   

I hope I get my copy soon. I am so excited! Then I will leave the outside world behind- it will be only me and the story :-)

justin headrick
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   

amazon copy arrived 5 minutes ago...it feels differetn than the copy i just got done reading. the paper smells different and has a slightly different texture.

you'd mentioned there was a problem with the pressing originally...did they say what the problem was? i wonder if all those printed copies were destroyed or...

either way...now i've got to figure out which of my friends would most appreciate the spare copy...

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 03:12 am:   

Well, if you're going to leave the outside world behind, better bring a flashlight -- it's a very dark book!

Justin, I'm going to pass your comments re: the second copy on to my editor/publisher. That would be rather strange if some of the "wrong" copies made it out into the world. It's funny though that you're smelling the paper! just like Cass ...

f hand
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 03:44 am:   

Hello there Elizabeth, i was doing a google search of my name (as one does) and came across your name - i have often had to tell people that the female Francis is Frances, but noticed that there are quite a few female Francis's as is yours. i've been a keen SF reader, esp the so called golden era between the 20's and 60's, so i'm going to chase up some of yours.... all your books seem very interesting and intriguing, and i downloaded the podcast - love the accent, just need time now to have a listen!
i'm in sunny australia by the way...
cheers and hoped you han a great 50th - i just beat you by a couple of years...

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 03:53 am:   

Hi Francis -- what a hoot! Francis is actually my confirmation name -- my grandfather was Frank Hand, and so I took it to honor him and also for St. Francis of Assisi. My parents were bemused that I didn't spell it Frances but I never liked the feminine form as much.

All best from one FH to another!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register