HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Hello! Ffirst post here. RE: "Saffron...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » Hello! Ffirst post here. RE: "Saffron and Brimstone" « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vincent Singleton
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 01:28 pm:   

Dear Elizabeth Hand--

Vince Singleton (aka grok-LF) from Kingsport, Tennessee here. I've been a great fan of your work ever since WAKING THE MOON. I often re-read many of your stories, such as "Last Summer at Mars Hill."

Although I'd seen anthologised some of the stories collected in BIBLIOMANCY (a little steep for my blood) and SAFFRON AND BRIMSTONE, I didn't read the latter collection until this past week. Proof again that it pays off to buy anything you write.

"The Least Trumps," I believe, is absolutely perfect. One of those rare mind-boggling, soul-thrilling stories, infused with that trade-mark visionary Hand magic. Lyrical, beautiful, absolutely stunning!

Not to dis the other stories! I found them all excellent, especially "Pavane for a Prince of the Air."

Mayhap I wax over enthusiastic. Oh, well.

I told Ellen Datlow on another forum that I'd ordered SAFFRON AND BRIMSTONE "just because it's Liz Hand."
Ellen urged me to get your upcoming GENERATION LOSS, which I of course will: no brainer.

Myself, I read a lot of genre fiction, love Gene Wolfe, John Crowley, Mervyn Peake, Jeffrey Ford, Richard Grant (where'd he go?), M. John Harrison, Lucius Shepard, Chris Priest, James Morrow, Neil Gaiman, Jonathan Carroll, Graham Joyce, Jeff VanderMeer, and such. (You rank, in my humble estimation, with any of these.)

But my three favorites books are MOBY DICK!

Yeah, I'm weird. An old fart (53), father and grandfather; former hippie; print-journalist and part-time English professor; semi-cultured, mostly liberal, ridge-running redneck. I have a passion for cats, music, movies, and books.

I shall desist, for the nonce.

Respectfully,
Vince Singleton
& CatZilla

(ks1_puppy@yahoo.com)

David Lindsay
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 07:20 pm:   

Let the gushing begin!

But well deserved as I, having read most of Liz's writing (do I need to babel on and on about "Glimmering" people? Read the friggin' masterpiece!)

and I've only read the first story from "S&F", having just finished "Mars Hill" & "Black Light". But wow!

So c'mon Liz! When are those useless Hollywood drecks going to ruin one of your books to attempting to make a movie out one of your epics?

Signed,

Another old fart liberal, former hippie (ya remember Liz?), father, accountant recruiter, who loves "cats & dogs living together", movies, 70s and 80s music (NY Dolls in the R&R Hall of Fame? -PLUEEZE, those F-ers inspired KISS! Why not a real proto- punk band like Blue Oyster Cult whose keyboard player dated Patti Smith?)no culture (sorry but not very well read by most of the standards of your other fans)who occassionaly reads those Liz Hand Bobba Fett books to his son. Oh, and the only Moby I like is the one that Eno/Bowie-esqe dude who has less hair than me.

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 03:54 pm:   

Hey guys. Just got back from my whirlwind trip, saw the Tibet House benefit concert last night -- Lou reed looked like an animatronic figure from CBGB's Las Vegas, Patti did a great reading of a William Burroughs poem, Debbie Harry was adorable and seems ready to step into Kristin Chenoworth's Broadway shoes, Michael Stipe talked a lot, but Ray Davies fucking blew EVERYONE out of the water -- he was incredible! He absolutely radiated good will, good vibes, what I can only call joy in the moment; and did a spinetingling version of "days" that made me cry -- he began it a cappela, and it sounded like a prayer. It was beautiful and totally rocked.

Anyway, had about two hours sleep and drove back to Maine in record time -- 6 hours -- so am just catching up with everyone here.

Yes indeed, welcome, Vincent! You'll fit right in. I'll be 50 next month, unreconstructed first-wave punk (hey, David, you were a hippie convert!) -- the ones who cut our teeth on the hippie stuff. Richard Grant is still around (very much so, as a matter of fact, he lives nearby and was here at the house while I was gone, staying with our 14-year-old son, Tristan) -- his novel ANOTHER GREEN WORLD, was published by Knopf last summer and got good reviews and I think will be out in paperback this year.

Every winter I tell myself I will read MOBY DICK and every winter I don't quite get to it. I've read the first 100 pages, more than once -- I really have to get my act together. But thanks for the nice words about S&B. I know that Bilbiomancy was expensive -- Pete Crowther makes beautiful books, and that one was tilted more towards the collector's market, but I always intended to have another go at the collection and was ecstatic that Rob at M Press did this one.

Generation Loss is the one book of mine that I think would make a great movie -- great role for a 40-something actress. Jodie Foster, you should be posting here!

But I still think the Stooges are overdue -- along with BOC, of course.

Vincent Singleton
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   

Dear Elizabeth Hand--

Thanks for the reply!

I saw Patty Smith--my Queen of Doves!--at a small venue in Knoxville on the Gung Ho tour. A highlight of my life!

First band I ever saw, after I got out of the service, was BOC at a small junior-high school, March 4, 1974! "Tyranny & Mutation" tour. Blew my mind. Only about 200 people showed, but rather than sulking, Eric Bloom said, "We're going to give ya something to tell your friends about." Did they ever!

Bought the LP the next day!

Saw them three more times--the laser shows! I was tripping, a bit (snirk), twice.

Still my favorite rock band. Buck Dharma 4ever! I even have "Imaginos."

I can't imagine attending the show you just saw. Oh, on your feet or your knees, indeed. Hah. I dug out "Muswell Hillbillies" a few nights ago! (I loved the "Transformer" painting in "Wonderwall"!)

Damn, I WILL get the Richard Grant novel. I bought "Saraband of Lost Time" on the stands. "Rumors of Spring" is one of my favorite books. "Tex and Molly." "Through the Heart." Fah!

I buy mostly small-press books, but I can't buy them all. A nice paperback makes for good annotating. Next reads: Dan Simmons's "The Terror" and Joe Hill's "Heart-Shaped Box."

Ever read Brook Hansen's "The Chess Garden"? Jeff Vandermeer suggested it. Christian allegory, so what: beautiful superb fantasy. Unique!

Love that you read poetry, incorporate it in your fiction. I am deficient in Rilke, alas.

Saw some pics Ellen Datlow posted recently after a convention (World Fantasy? what?) Anyway. Like your tattoos. I have none, I'm a chicken.

My youngest daughter, gothGwen, is way into post-punk and goth, tattooed, pierced, kohled, ink-black dyed hair. Heck, I dressed in black, painted my fingernails corpse-gray, for her "goth" wedding. Lots of black and tattoes there. Good kids. Very nice. Cried a bit. We like Bauhaus and Peter Murphy. Bowie. Reed. I turned her on to Patty Smith.

Cracks me up, all these kids jamming to Hendrix, Doors, Beatles, Zeppelin. Wearing clothes we wore, way back then. Thinking they're doing something new. Kind of cool, really.
Hey, I gave up on outdoor concerts after Lollapooza II. And I got glasses, 'cause I found I couldn't see the stage.

Sorry to blather.

You rock, as the kids now say.

Vince Singleton
grok LF
& CatZilla

P.S. Recommend some good books?

David Lindsay
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 05:26 pm:   

Finished "S&B"- a deepy emotional books of memories, lives past and present. Loved all the stories but especially related to "Wonderwall" having worked at the both the Smithsonian and the University of Archangels and St. John the Divine, remembering Queenstown, Queens Chapel Road, The Atlantis (which later morphed into DC's 9:30 which unfortunately by the the early 90s had become a legitimate club), trolling the Lost & Found(trying to find a nice straight girl there-what were the odds?), going to school in DC and hangin' with the punk girls in the dorm who covered their walls Bowie, Lou, Ferry & Iggy. Also hoping to stumble upon (stoned and naively) bohemia in the Academia but only to find quote BOC, "This Ain't The Summer of Love." But I disgress as is my habit. What seperate these stories from "Mars Hill" (which is a fantastic grouping) is the poignancy of youth once lost and maturity now gained. No Generation Lost here. Try and get away from this collection so uniquely fresh and vivid.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |