HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

No more semi-colons, ever

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » No more semi-colons, ever « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 02:53 pm:   

I finally finished (I hope!) the last revision on GENERATION LOSS. An interesting experience, as I had two editors (Kelly Link at Small Beer & Tina Pohlman at Harcourt) and two sets of editorial remarks on the manuscript, one in purple ink and one in black. Ellen Datlow offered some commentary as well, and so did my partner John Clute. And of course there was stuff in there that I changed all by myself.

My resolution for the New Year: no more semi-colons, ever. If I had a dollar for every semi-colon in that manuscript, I could buy myself a pony. I took a lot of them out, and as for the ones that remain -- well, I know them all by name.

Anyway, what a relief. I have to say, writing (and rewriting) a novel this dark really took it out of me -- and I thought I knew dark. I'm ready to take a little break and write a Mom Lit novel (cf yesterday's NY Times).

Well, okay, maybe not.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 04:47 pm:   

Ijust use commas and carry on the sentences endlessly, which save me from semi-colonitis.

But then there's that horrorstory, The Semi-colon... ;)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 04:50 pm:   

And a whopping good novel it is, too!! I loved it and I think a lot of other readers will, too.
Good luck with it, Liz.

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 09:11 am:   

Thanks, Ellen. And you've read it twice! way above and beyond the call of duty ...

Yes, I felt like I underwent a semicolonoscopy with his book, also editing S&B. I'VE LEARNED MY LESSON.

anna tambour
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 01:25 am:   

Looking forward to reading it. Very much enjoyed Iain Emsley's interview of you in Postscripts.
www.clarkesworldbooks.com/PSMAG.html

Sara George
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 02:08 am:   

^
I didnīt know of that interview before. I will have to get that issue of Postscripts.

sharyn november
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 04:05 pm:   

i thought it was a fantastic novel. you are an awesome rock star.

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 02:58 am:   

Aw, thanks. Right now the rock star is trying to get her teenage son to wake up.

And thinking of that -- isn't it cool that Patti Smith is finally inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame? Way overdue, though I think the Stooges should have been there too instead of Van Halen.

I guess now we'll see how many Van Halen fans check out Nightshade Books ...

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 03:00 am:   

Oh, and thanks, Anna, for that link -- I didn't know it was available online!

I should mention that my website is being revamped and any day now, maybe even today, will be up and running. I'll try to post that as a new thread later. Any suggestions will be welcome!

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 06:09 am:   

An author blog, if you're up to it, would be most cool. I can never get enough of authors I like talking about their own work as well as others'.

sharyn november
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 04:12 pm:   

i like the fact that gary cherone is NOT being inducted (but david lee roth and sammy hagar are).

the stooges aren't there? what the hell.

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 03:40 am:   

Thanks, guys (and gals). I'll post something re: a blog on the other thread.

Yeah, the absence of the Stooges is a real gaffe, I think. And PS should have been there several years ago, when she first became eligible.

Oh well. At least they got the Ramones while some of them were still alive.

PM
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 07:31 am:   

My thought is if the punk is real then a Hall of Fame award would be anathema.

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 04:48 am:   

Yeah, you'd think so, right? But the surviving Ramones were happy to get the award, and Patti is probably too well-mannered to Just Say No. Plus she's a Commandeur in France -- she beat out Van Halen on that one.

I'm trying to think of someone who would in fact turn it down. Jello Biafra?

PM
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:44 am:   

I'd hope that Jello would.

Here's a different spin. One could argue that punk isn't rock and for that matter hard rock isn't rock. Those distinctions are largely forgotten now.

But there was a time when punk was revolting against rock. Van Halen was a different reaction in regards to rock but at the onset folk weren't lumping them with the rock bands of the day.

Folk are still reacting for and now primarily against Van Halen. There was a time when folk wanted to imitate Eddie's playing. Dr. Know was certainly influenced by him. And in time there came a turn and Van Halen lost favor...

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:04 am:   

Didn't the Sex Pistols turn it down? I know that when Johnny Rotten got word of their election into the H of F, he said, "We're not your monkeys."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11549585/

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   

Gordon! You're absolutely right -- they refused to attend, though I gather they were inducted in absentia. True punks to the last.

But Patti Smith never really thought of herself as a punk. And the Ramones -- Joey, anyway -- always wanted to be part of the pop mainstream.

Punk was revolting against everything. But the first American wave was more tied to literary antecedents than political ones; the latter was more the UK remit, which I think is where the whole notion of rebellion came into play. My own experience of first-wave punk was that it was more nihilist and truly anarchic than anything else -- there was no agenda, just a general desire for cultural defenestration. The soundtrack that best captured that feeling at the time (and still does now) is Patti Smith's live cover of "My Generation," during which she starts babbling nonsense before the whole thing descends into chaos and ends with Patti famously stating "We created it, let's take it over." I used to play that 45 over and over again on the jukebox at Deer Park, the Katonah dive where I left a lot of my brain cells. I actually heard her do that song in 1975 with John Cale, though not the performance that was later recorded.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |