Hi Liz Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » Hi Liz « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nancy New
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:39 am:   

Hi there. I have been a fan of your writing since 'The Boy in the Tree'. And have read everything since then.

I remember the first time I read your short story. It was like hearing a clear silver bell ring for the first time. Few writers have had that impact on me ( Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix and Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash come to mind).

I return to Winterlong at least once a year. I can't help myself..I'm a junkie.

Please don't stop what you do. And I would be first in line to buy any new book in the Winterlong series if you EVER decide to return to that world!

Nancy New

P.S. Pete Crowther at PS Publishing owes you another bottle of wine. I subscribed to his magazine because of you! Don't let him forget...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Elizabeth Hand
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 04:43 pm:   

Hi Nancy,

Wow -- thanks for the vote of confidence. And I know Pete thanks you,too.

The real life boy in the tree, the person who triggered the vision I had at 17 that became the incipit for the story of that title, as well as WINTERLONG and other stories & novels, was also the inspriation for ILLYRIA. So for me it felt like a homecoming of sorts, coming full circle with my first muse in this later work. I had originally intended WINTERLONG to have much more of a "Twelfth Night" subtext, which got subsumed by the novel and my inexperience as a writer. ILLYRIA is much more streamlined, but for me a lot of the same emotional energy went into it as into WINTERLONG, so I'll be interested in what you think of it. Thanks for writing!
All best,

Liz

PS I'll remind Pete about the wine! He's supposed to come here & visit sometime, so maybe next year ...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register