Vinyl Geekdom Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » Vinyl Geekdom « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

liz Hand
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 05:59 am:   

My brother Patrick is visiting from DC, staying down at Tooley Cottage. This is so exciting! Among other things, we're going through my record collection -- who else appreciates my Troggs albums and Sex Pistols 45s? Best of all, I got to play him the jewel in my vinyl crown, the 45 of the Anthem of the US Army Chemical Corps, played and sung by the US Army Chemical Corps Chorus and Band. Pat can't stop singing it. Surely it's time this single receives heavy rotation? The Air Force & Marine Corps anthems can't hold a candle to it.

So what do you guys (and gals) have amongst your petroleum-based musical treasures?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:23 am:   

I still think my tape of the MTV music awards back in the 90s when the Leningrad Cowboys appeared on stage, complete with girls with exaggerated pompadours, in front of a big curtain, and then the curtain parted, and there was the Red Army Choir singing the opening bars of Sweet Home Alabama...that gets it. Videotape is, I believe, petroleum based. In a more trad vein, my Stooges LP is about the best I got, remarkable only in that Iggy (jerry) attempted to sign his name to it.

liz Hand
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:58 am:   

Very cool. The Red Army Choir & Sweet Home alabama ... it doesn't get much better than that.

Did iggy sign his name in blood? or peanut butter?

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:57 am:   

Cuz, what are the lyrics to the Army Chemical Corps anthem?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   

I don't think I want to know...Naw, I think it was ordinary ink, or black blood, or something....

liz Hand
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 05:09 pm:   

I'll get 'em tomorrow. I hate to admit this, but I still don't know every word by heart.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   

Harry Belafonte. Sometimes, when I'm in an especially perverse mood, I play Harry's Danny Boy and chase it with the Irish Tenors' version.

liz
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 03:23 am:   

Nice!

Sara
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 12:50 am:   

Hi!

I just LOVE Tori Amos. So I very much treasure all my hundred or so records with her. I really can recommend everyone to listen to Tori, she is wonderful.

And I love the live performance vhs with Kate Bush (live from Apollo Hammersmith in London).

Sara

liz
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 04:07 am:   

Wow, I had no idea Tori Amos had recorded so much stuff! I assume some of these are bootlegs/downloads?

I love Kate Bush. Are you into Beth Orton at all? She has a voice that I could listen to all day long.

Sara
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 07:13 am:   

I got to check out Beth Orton very soon. I have only heard about her, not actually heard her music.

Tori Amos has released lots and lots of singles. And a lot of the records I have are bootlegs too. I can really recommend the Cornflake Girl-single; there you find the wonderful b-sides Honey and Sister Janet (you can easily get it at e-bay or second hand at Amazon). They are the most beautiful songs in the world.
And attending a Tori Amos live-show is something I highly recommend. Itīs almost a transcendental experience...

RW
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 07:26 am:   

Kate Bush has a new record out in November "Aerial." I hope it's on vinyl.

Bill Reynolds/Socrates17
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 08:11 pm:   

Don't get me started. Over 6,000 inc. orig. Stooges, Dead, Airplane, QMS, Autosalvage, Kinks, Move, Who, Small Faces, of course all 70s Punk (NY and UK but not LA,) no-Wave, and on and on. Hey! I have the Theoretical Girls single.

Pride of place are origial editions of both US and UK Bowie's Man Who Sold the World with cartoon farmer on the US and David resplendent in a satin gown on the UK - not bought on the collector's market but at HMV on Oxford St. when it came out.

Oh. I forgot, Soft Machine, Caravan, The Creation, every single (ha ha) solitary Pretty Things single plus the LPs, Pink Floyd (the only one that counts, with Syd) including Arnold Layne single..... on and on

Would LOVE a new Kate Bush but I certainly don't care if it is vinyl - I have enough!!!

Lucius - did you get The Cowboys DVD from that concert? Of course, I've saved my off cable tape too....

Bill Reynolds/Socrates17
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 08:22 pm:   

You know, several of my messages (particularly those about my infamous STUFF) sound in retrospect like bragging.

I hope it isn't. I think that I've been really lucky (if I were religious rather than spiritual) I would have to say "blessed" to have been where I've been when I've been there.

And in a world that worships the young, I'm very glad to be as old as I am because it means that I could do what I have done.

liz Hand
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 05:38 am:   

Hey, brag away! I would, if I had that much vinyl.

I have a 45 called "Washing the Defectives," can't remember the band name; a very early parody of Elvis Costello. Funny picture sleeve of a woman putting LPs into her dishwasher. Also a lot of other stuff, none of it in primo shape because I used to play it nonstop. 45s of Anarchy in the UK and Roadrunner. et al.

I'm with you on feeling glad to be as old as we are. I had a great time and a great run back before every experience and every place was pre-packaged. CBGBs moving to las Vegas? Oh, please.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 05:53 am:   

Bill, I did get the concert dvd. Most excellent. Though it seems weird that it's on DVD and THE MATCH FACTORY GIRL isn't.

I must confess to being a long time Kate Bush detester. The sound of her voice (and of Tori Amos) tends to make my saliva get all thick and ropy. Shudder....

iotar
Posted on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 07:39 am:   

I'm currently in the throes of packing all of my stuff to move flat, and I'm having the usual problem with finding boxes that are the right size for transporting vinyl. I love analogue, but it's weighs a ton and is an absolute pain!

A friend, and drone collaborator, who performs under the name The Man From Uranus, has just put out a 7" of theremin/analog lounge-isms called Mooon Music. Looks lovely. I'm deeply jealous, vinyl is just so much more *serious* than CD. Everyone can burn CDs these days, they're so plebian (or democratic, take yr choice) but a cheap vinyl recorder will cost you a couple of thousand quid.

Anyway, curios from iotacism Towers vinyl archive:

* any of my Amon Duul II gatefolds - too beautiful!

* a couple of 7" singles by the Liverpool spacepunk synth quintet Kling Klang - kinda like Magma and Kraftwerk played by Slayer on Casio keyboards.

* a BBC chinese pronunciation disc - especially the flipside with the passage about different types of rickshaw drivers.

* yellow vinyl split Duophonic 7" (Yo La Tengo and Stereolab)

* an early 70s heavy double album of music from medieval Spain interpreted by Jordi Savall, Monserrat Figueras and Hesperion XX - hauntingly beautiful, but it's the bad painting of a bunch of grapes on the front that wins me over.

* the "Gamera"/"Cliff Dweller Society" 12" by Tortoise on clear vinyl. I've owned two copies of this because I wore the first one out.

* a mysterious 10" of a miserable Russian choir, I think it's on Melodiya. Loevely tatty orange and white sleeve. I've got a couple of 7" also on Melodiya of Czech folksongs. The sleeves on these are even nicer - green, red and white pictures of cartoon birds and flowers.

But unfortunately, some git stole my 12" of "Rock Me Amadeus". Oy!

Bill Reynolds/Socrates17
Posted on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 09:07 pm:   

iotar - gotta love those Amon Duul IIs. I gottem too.

Have to try to find Kling Klang. Anything that sounds like Magma is critical - even if played by the Kaminsky Kazoophany.

iotar
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 01:10 am:   

>> iotar - gotta love those Amon Duul IIs. I gottem too.

I bought a dodgy "Classic Rock: Best of Acid Rock" DVD recently because it had a Duul track from Beat Club in 1971. Lots of video feedback and Chris Karrer yelling "Hitler is laughing, he's got nine heads!" on German TV. The only thing it lacks is Renate.

>> Have to try to find Kling Klang

I think they've disbanded now, but there was talk on the Rock Action Records site about releasing a compilation of their singles which would worth tracking down. For God's sake they released a single called Vander/Rocker - how much more of a Magma homage can you get?

There's also a lot of Magma-ish stuff on the new Guapo album, Black Oni. They manage to catch that bass roll that sounds like the turret on an alien space behemoth rotating and turning its attention on you.

Bill Reynolds/Socrates17
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:18 am:   

iotar - could you email me directly? I'd like to stay in touch and get more Magma-inspired suggestions and compare notes but I don't want to bore everyone else by turning this into a Magma thread.

joe
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 09:33 am:   

Hello Zali
;-)
x
cheers for still digging Kling Klang.
Compilation is still coming out, it's with the label now, so should be pressed by the start of next year
all the best
joe kk

liz
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 11:29 am:   

Hey, great news for all you KK fans out there!

Z & Bill, sorry I haven't been replying to your posts -- it's not Magmaphobia -- I'm frantically trying to finish this revision. More soon, or soonish ....

Bill Reynolds/Socrates17
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 05:04 am:   

No Sweatski.

aitapata
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 07:03 am:   

In reference to above post about the *monumentous* amount of music Tori's put out -- it's true. My one unjustified spending habit is Tori. I recently reached the 125 count, and there are very few bootlegs. Those are mostly official releases. (this link isn't spam, honest, it's just an indication : http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=163220&ck= That's the website I made to keep track of all my stuff. It's a last resort website that I can use at work so I can remember what I have and stop buying duplicates on eBay).

My vinyl collecting is very limited, as I don't have a turntable (nor do I have room for one). I've been slowly picking up records that I know I'll want to listen to one day. I'm focusing on This Mortal Coil and the huge amount of Peter Murphy that's out there. I had no idea he had released so many singles!

I love finding the stuff that's not available on cd.

And, no, I haven't started collecting Tori on vinyl. Once I start, I'll never be able to stop!

liz
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:42 am:   

This Mortal Coil is great. I used to listen to all that 4AD stuff (wasn't that their label? it's been awhile). Lately I've been playing some Beth Orton bootlegs -- just gorgeous stuff.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register