Mass-market paperback of "Last Summer... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » Mass-market paperback of "Last Summer at Mars Hill" ??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

brainshades
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 09:17 pm:   

Hi Liz,

In my wanderings about the 'net searching for a copy of the book mentioned above, I've found that Amazon.com has an ISBN listed for a mass-market paperback of the book. Wasn't it only released as a trade paperback? The ISBN is: 0061057312

Anyway, just curious as none of the usual suspects (ABE, Alibris, Powells) are turning up anything in their catalog's with that ISBN.

liz hand
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:49 am:   

Hmmm. I seem somehow to have missed seeing this posting for the last month -- sorry!

No, there was never a mass market edition of Mars Hill, at least as far as I know. And the trade pb is out of print, I think. But I'm hoping to be at a new publisher before too long, in which case some of the backlist might get picked up. In mass market, even!

justin
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 02:47 pm:   

I remember talking with reps from Harper Collins twice at yearly B. Dalton Bookstore conventions about your books. They seemed surprised that I mentioned them, but I made sure they new that one store manager was getting the good word out. That was over 5 years ago now...

Have you ever read any Kathe Koja? I've quite enjoyed hers too, but she's pretty well gone exclusively to young adult fiction...

justin
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   

I remember talking with reps from Harper Collins twice at yearly B. Dalton Bookstore conventions about your books. They seemed surprised that I mentioned them, but I made sure they knew that one store manager was getting the good word out. That was over 5 years ago now...not even with the bookstore any longer, but did get the good word out to quite a few.

Have you ever read any Kathe Koja? I've quite enjoyed hers too, but she's pretty well gone exclusively to young adult fiction...

I definately looked for those people looking for something different...Vonnegut, Danielewski, Jeff Noon, Dennis Cooper, Tom Robbins...

Do you ever feel your obligated to introduce people to worthwhile things?

liz
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 03:47 am:   

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence. I know there are bookstore people who handsell my work, which I'm very grateful for. The whole publishing industry is such a mess these days; it's imploding the way the alt/indie music scene has. Unfortunately, authors can't really earn a living by touring and performing, otherwise I'd let readers just dowload my fiction online and hit the road. Ah well.

I like Kathe Koja's work a lot. I met her some years ago and liked her as a person, as well. My undesratnding is that her YA work is doing very well, commercially and critically. More power to her, I say.

I do feel a certain obligation to promote interesting new stuff, or interesting old stuff. I've been pushing John Crowley's books on people for fifteen years now, and continue to review him and write about him when I have the chance, hoping to add a bit to the global awareness of his work. Does it have any affect? Probably not much. I've been reviewing profesionally for eighteen years; there've been a handful of truly brilliant books I've written about -- M. John Harrison's SIGNS OF LIFE is one -- that I genuinely felt might hit it big, but I don't think any of them ever did. My taste is somewhat rarefied, and I tend to like interestingly flawed books better than I like more slickly designed ones. I reviewed a first novel about a year ago, D.B. Weiss's LUCKY WANDER BOY -- a book that had a lot of the traditional first-novel problems, but which I really loved.

It's dispiriting to see good, ambitious books fail to get the attention they deserve, but I guess it's nothing new. Publishing is so hype-driven these days. I keep waiting for the bubble to burst, but it hasn't yet. I know, I know: Jesus said, "The hype will be with you always."

brainshades
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 08:45 pm:   

Hey Liz,

Thanks for responding about "Mars Hill", but since you've mentioned Crowley, may I ask what your opinion is on the new Byron novel? I've read the Locus and Clute reviews, but I'm curious as to your views on it. Also looking forward to the forthcoming release of "Mortal Love" in the more portable trade paper format.

liz hand
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 06:52 am:   

I read the Crowley, back in March, and have a review coming out in my FSF column; unfortunately there's always a long leadtime between my writing the column & its publication, which is quarterly.

Anyway, I liked the book a great deal. I haven't read the Locus reviews -- what did they say? I found it less transfiguring than some of his other work, e.g. LITTLE, BIG or AEGYPT or ENGINE SUMMER, but he was trying to reach a broader audience here, and I think he'll succeed. He's certainly not afraid of expanding his remit, which is a rare thing for a writer these days. I hope the book breaks out. I think Crowley's long overdue for getting the recognition he deserves, but I think that may change soon. I certainly hope so.

As for ML -- yes, I'm very glad the more affordable version will hit the streets soon. Maybe more people will read it. Hey, it could happen.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register