Aliens of the Deep Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » Aliens of the Deep « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 04:00 pm:   

From the Blood is Thicker Than Water Department: My brilliant cousin, Kevin Hand, is one of the young scientists starring in James Cameron's new Imax documentary extravaganza, ALIENS OF THE DEEP. Kevin's email accounts of being in the submersibles and witnessing the exotic cephalopods first-hand were amazing. There's not an Imax theater in Maine, alas, but I'm going to get down to Boston at some point to check it out. You all should too!

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   

For more info -- Kevin's an astrobiologist at the SETI Institute --

http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179064

Bill Reynolds/Socrates17
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   

Great site, but despite their responses to it I still can't get around the Fermi Paradox. This doesn't mean I believe we shouldn't do whatever is necessary to look. I just don't hold out much hope for success. Alastair (no relation) Reynolds had a good solution to Fermi in the Revelation Space series.

My belief that UFOs are not spacecraft is so intense that for the first season and a half I refused to watch The X Files, this being back when I watched TV at all. I had the rather snide and self-defeating attitude that it was Propaganda. Finally, a go go dancer I used to see made me promise to watch a few episodes and I found that many of them were kind of fun if you didn't take them seriously.

(She also introduced me to the work of Connie Willis and for getting me to read The Doomsday Book I am forever in her debt.)

liz
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   

Oh, I'm just bragging on my cousin. He's down in Antarctica now. Seems like a good life -- all the excitements of writing science fiction, none of the risks!

bill reynolds/socrates17
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 01:21 am:   

As well you should. Pretty cool site. I overanalyze everything. I had a recent Antarctica anecdote to relate (no - I haven't gotten to go there yet) but like most men I mythologize everything in my life so I think I'll pass....

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register