WINTERLONG - THE LIZ HAND WEBSITE Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » WINTERLONG - THE LIZ HAND WEBSITE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

iotar
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 06:46 am:   

Shall we tell 'em about it, Liz? Do you want to launch the ship?

(BTW: The final detail was a missing jigsaw piece on the top right of the text box - hope you like it!)

liz hand
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:38 am:   

Zali, it looks fab! Really gorgeous.

Yes, after years of being a Luddite holdout, I've finally gotten a website at www.elizabethhand.com. I do a lot of research for reviews and essays, as well as for my own fiction, and was always annoyed whenever an author didn't have a site. Of course this was difficult to get away with when I didn't have one of my own. Now, at last, I can hold my head high and be REALLY annoyed!

I'm open to any suggestions for improvements or additions. I hope to eventually have available most of the reviews -- good and bad -- of my novels that have come out over years. If anyone happens to have knowledge of any of these online, I'd be very grateful to hear about it.

iotar, take a bow!

iotar
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:03 am:   

Thankyuverymuch! *blushes like a girl*

If anyone notices any glitches, bugs, inconsistencies and general cock-ups on the techy aspects of the site let me know and I'll fix them or justify them or pretend they never happened, as appropriate.

Anyway, I hope you all find it entertaining and informative!

Mike Simanoff
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 10:59 am:   

I just have to say: it looks REALLY nice. Good job.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:01 pm:   

Ditto what Mike said -- nice design and layout. Duly noted and bookmarked.

iotar
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:21 am:   

Thanks Mikes!

Liz Hand
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:29 am:   

Ditto thanks to the Mikes!

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:53 am:   

Liz: Great looking site. Best of luck with it.

Jeff

gabe
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:03 pm:   

Wow. Fragging cool.

--gabe

iotar
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:00 am:   

Cheers gabe! And thanks for the big-up on yr blog - much appreciated!

JeffV
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:13 am:   

Liz:

It really looks great!!! Excellent job.

JeffV

Jeff Topham
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 10:44 am:   

iotar: Nice work. Just beautiful!

Liz: congrats! I must confess my own frustration a few years ago when I tried to find some info on your books a few years ago. No such complaints now--top notch!

JT

BTW Liz, this means that you've now been complimented by three middle-aged bearded Jeffs. :-)

liz hand
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   

Two Mikes and three Jeffs! We're on a roll, iotar! If only this was Vegas!

I'm off tomorrow for the ICFA in sunny FLA. A bit anxious about travelling but, a always, I'll be buoyed by a visit to the Big World of Literature and Ideas. More news then ...

Liz

iotar
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   

Thanks all! If all of the Jeffs got into a fight who d'you reckon would win, and would they be able to tackle all of the Mikes single handed?

Enjoy your icfa in fla - sounds like a latin slogan being mispronounced by a drunk with a lisp.

Mike J
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:47 pm:   

Shoot, everyone knows one Mike is worth three Jeffs!

Liz, I'm jealous you get to go to ICFA -- sounds like a great lineup of writers and scholars there. Have fun!

Jeff Topham
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 01:05 pm:   

iotar: The bearded Jeff is largely noncombative. That said, I'm pretty sure I could take Jeff Ford, but I'm not so sure about VanderMeer--he's got that meerkat thing going on, which kind of freaks me out.

Mike J: I scoff at your inflammatory Mikeocentric rhetoric [snorts contemptuously]. I'll bet our facial hair alone could best you two Mikes!

iotar
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 01:44 pm:   

Jeff: Ah, but what about a Mike *with* facial hair?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 07:14 am:   

My van dyke scoffs at the Jeff's threats.

Travis H
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 11:29 am:   

It seems as if this thread has died but i did want to congratulate you Liz on a wonderful site. I have been hoping that you would put one up for years and every once in a while have done a search just in the hopes that there would be one. I own every book and encourage everyone I know to do the same. Your writing fascinates me and inspires me. There are so many things that I have always wanted to say to you, even thought about writing you care of your publisher, and now that I have finally found a forum for it I am totally drawing a blank. Here is a good question for you that I read in an interview a few years back: will you ever return to the storylines of the winterlong series or will you just let it stay where it is? Even a little short tale of a curator or one of the paphians would be delightful. Once again I truly admire and adore your work. Thank you for writing something beautiful.

liz hand
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 01:39 pm:   

Travis -- thanks so much for the lovely note. I, too , was getting frustrated whenever I looked for an author website (not my own), and finally decided The Time Had Come for me to cough one up. I hope to update it soon with some more material, so hopefully thereíll be something new on there that youíll like.

I have no idea what Iíll do with those Winterlong books. I often think of writing a short story set within the same mileu, but so far the muse has not come visiting with an idea, so guess Iíll just have to wait. Iíve always thought Aestival Tide would make a cool graphic novel, so maybe one day thatís what Iíll do with some new material. And I was never happy with Icarus Descending, and always wanted to do more with Margalis Tastíannin -- maybe my favorite character from the sequence. So you just never know .... keep in touch, I'm always open to suggestions! All best, Liz

iotar
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 02:27 pm:   

Travis H? Not Travis Hallenbeck by chance?

I'm seeing connections where there aren't any again, aren't I?

Aren't I?

Travis H.
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 04:19 pm:   

sorry iotar..... not me.. although by your work i wish that i knew you. i just... for lack of words want to say that i give you props. my language and misuse of it probably puts me as a younger feature on the board. i feel like i am surrounded by literary geniuses and i read like a book every two months. and as you can tell i am not fond of caps or punctuation. call it reading e.e. cummings in 7th grade or just bad net manners. anyway... a swell thing for the site would be links to other sites of other authors that you respect. i know that half of the site is business as usual i.e. shameless self promotion with a giggle; but it should also serve as a forum for people with a love of good storytelling, and the retelling of all the stories that we know and love. i know that this is sort of that, but i think a more overt statement is always better. bitter sarcasm is never as mean as the truth, and i guess the same goes for the good stuff too.

anyway... i drift. one more thing that i would like to add is just the fact that ms. hand and one other author have really affected me. they have both made this fantasy realism thing a welcome crutch for me in dreary everyday life. i recommend that everyone read mark z. danielewski's house of leaves. scary, poignant, and; sadly, true. thera and family, gotta love it. if you read it you will know what i mean. and a great companion is his sisters album, haunted, by an artist that just goes by POE, that actually acts as a supplement.

by the way... when i said crutch i should have said welcome support.

sorry for the rambling, i guess i was just too excited that i sort of kind of in an across the country non physical way got to meet elizabeth hand. write til you can't do it no more.

in conclusion: you are wicked cool.

p.s. if you ever do a book signing at the tattered cover in denver alert me. i'll set you up with the hotel that u2 decided was too nice to trash so they helped the staff clean up after their post show party.

iotar
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 04:28 am:   

Thanks Travis! I bow as low as is possible with my bad back. I assume that you are referring to the Winterlong site? (I also do sites for M John Harrison & Simon Ings) Well, I guess we're slowly developing a list of links to authors and places that Liz thinks are cool on the Links page and these forums here, as an extension to the site, could well develop along the lines you suggest. It's really a matter of what the audience wants rather than what we dictate.

Anyway, thanks for yr suggestions. Hopefully one day the site will develop into a more "overt statement" - but give us time: we've only been online for a few months!

Oh yes, and I used to type everything in lower case. That was until people could identify me by it - then I changed to keep them on their toes. The lower case "i" in "iotar" is a leftover from that phase.

Nice to meet another Travis H.

liz hand
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 05:31 am:   

Travis -- I use lowercase letters too, except that here I feel obligated to be Very Proper!

I posted on another thread here that I really liked D.B. Weiss's first novel, LUCKY WANDER BOOK. Not an overtly genre novel, but it has the *feel* of genre, if you know what I mean. I've heard extremely good things about House of Leaves but haven't read it yet -- for the last few years I really didn't read much fiction, unless I was reviewing it, because I was so immersed in writing a novel. I absorb literary influences perhaps too easily. After I've had a chance to fully read and digest a good writer, I can use my own voice without being saturated by someone else's prose, but it's something I'm very conscious of. I don't know if other writers are like this or not. Then oddly sometimes the converse is true, and I finally get around to reading an author's work and find it reminds me a lot of my own: a weird kind of synergy.

Just so you'll know, Travis, everyday life is dreary for me, too. That's why I write: to try and superimpose some meaning on what often seems like a meaningless existence. I find that the older I get, the more important it is to find some kind of transcendence in the everyday, and I've come to believe that the only real transcendence life offers is what we put there. So I'll re-shape events and figures from my own life, not to give my actual experiences a fake happy ending, but to somehow redeem them by looking at them from another perspective.

I don't know if that makes sense or not.

When you wrote about the "retelling of all the stories we know and love" it made me think of o poem by Robert Graves -- I've been reading Robert Stone's new novel, and he uses this poem as its epigraph. WHich is weird because Bill Sheehan had suggested I use the same poem as an epigraph for Mortal Love (I didn't). It's maybe not so weird because it's well-known. I think it's great --

Much snow is falling, winds roar hollowly,
The owl hoots from the elder,
Fear in your heart cries to the loving-cup:
Sorrow to sorrow as the sparks fly upward.
The log groans and confesses:
Thre is one story and one story only.

-- "To Juan at the Winter Solstice"

liz hand
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 05:33 am:   

P.S. I will definitely let you know if I come to Denver. I'd never heard that about U2 cleaning up their hotel after a party -- great story!

Richard Calder
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 11:02 am:   

Liz --

A very attractive site! I look forward to using it to keep track of what you're up to. (Big fan of yours ever since reviewing WINTERLONG and AESTIVAL TIDE all those years ago for SFEYE ...)

liz hand
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:48 pm:   

Richard! An Eye flashback! So nice to hear from you after lo these many years. Where are you living these days? and up to what? Drop me a line ...

Scott Havens
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:33 pm:   

I think this probably makes my winter. About once every few months I throw out the net and see which of my favorite authors have added sites or radically altered their pre-existent domains. Imagine my shock tonight when, in a fit of frustration over an overly dull day, I typed in this site's address and something actually appeared!
I've been following your career for some time now, ever since I stumbled across a dog-eared copy of Winterlong in my old city library back in junior high. I was utterly transfixed not just with the story and the emotion it inspired, but by your ability to weave such complex and thickly resonant imagery. Since then I've gone on to read all the novels (and own them all too, some in several editions)--including Icarus. So, if you still need a cover for that, I can scan it in and probably have it ready for the weekend.

On an unrelated note, the Graves poem you quoted earlier in the thread has a certain resonance to the Cafavy poem used in Waking the Moon--so much so I ran and grabbed my Cavafy collection off the shelf and had to do a quick scan. Granted the Graves is typically more natural than the cityscape painted by Cafavy's longing--but there's a commonality of emotional experience there, I believe.

liz
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 03:39 am:   

Scott, how timely you wrote about that Graves poem -- I'm think in process of trying to get the rights to quote from two OTHER Graves poems for Mortal Love, and so rereading his work.

I'm very glad you found the site, and this thread -- I woefully need to update the former! And thanks too for your kind words about my stuff. I think (I hope) that Mortal Love will connect with people who like Waking the Moon -- there's some common themes, and someone in love with a city -- London n this instance rather than DC. Anyway, keep in touch!

iotar
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 02:44 am:   

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet: fancy new paint job on the Winterlong site in readiness for the launch of Mortal Light.

http://www.elizabethhand.com

liz
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:09 am:   

Mortal Love! Mortal Light is the unholy union of my book and Mike harrison's ....

iotar
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:20 am:   

I'm at it again!

Karen Lee
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 06:00 pm:   

Hi Elizabeth and all who post here,

I have been a fan since 1990 and have all the books. I have been a SF/F reader for a LONG time. Still, reading Winterlong was almost like wondering into someones dreams. Hooked me for sure. I did not think a writer could keep that kind of intensity and ingenuity going. I am glad I was wrong. Thanks for all the great entertainment and in some cases, food for thought.

liz
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 05:42 am:   

Dear Karen,

Thanks for that letter -- it means a great deal to me. Writing is, for me, very much like dreaming; when it works, anyway. John Gardner had a great line in his book ON BECOMING A NOVELIST, about the writer's work being to create the "vivid and continuous dream" of fiction. A notion I absorbed a long time ago and have always tried to tap into. Thanks again for your note ...

EileenMD
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:42 pm:   

"Waking the Moon" is one of the best books I have ever read. As much as I appreciate it, I know I would appreciate it even more if it was annotated. Does such a thing exist? A bibliography? And how I wish this book was available in an unabridged audiotape.

liz
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:18 am:   

Hi Eileen,

Thanks for liking it! No, alas, there's not an annoated WTM, or a bibliography, but I could probably point you to whatever source material you were interested in. And yes, I was really, really sorry they didn't have the audio book unabridged -- I thought the actress who read it was fabulous, and always regretted that my publisher didn;t just go the whole nine yards. Oh well.

MORTAL LOVE, my new book, is more like WTM than anything else I've done, so you might like that as well. Let me know what you'd like in the way of a bilbiography for WTM, and I'll try to help you out.

EileenMD
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 03:56 am:   

I was wondering if there was some symbolism to the names "Baby Joe" and Sweeney Cassidy etc. in the book. I did catch the allusion to Oscar Wilde (he was beautiful when young, wasn't he?) and I read elsewhere that you actually had a friend with a son named Dylan. I also saw somewhere your reference to Irish catholic influence in the writing, and do think there is a lot in the book that evokes ( no pun intended) that . Irish culture does seem to me to be just a thin veneer of constraint over something much deeper and wild. (I am not a writer, as is probably already evident, sorry for the clumsiness of some of my questions.But I'm also Irish, so I keep gabbing anyway.)

iotar
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 10:32 am:   

Stop Press - Liz in NY:

MORTAL LOVE - Reading & Signing
Thursday, July 1, 7 PM

Barnes & Noble, 4 Astor Place, NY, NY 10003
Tel: 212-420-1322

liz
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 01:34 pm:   

Hi Eileen,

A lot of my work features real people. In the case of Baby Joe, he was inspired by a friend of mine who, when I asked what name he'd like to be known by in a book, said, "Baby Joe." So Baby Joe it was. As for Sweeney Cassidy, I dunno. I guess the name must've just come to me. I love it, but I can't recall when or how I thought it up. I used the name Dylan *before* I knew my friend had named her son that, which was kind of strange. But I've had enough odd, premonitory things happen to me with my work that nothing surprises me too much now.

The Irish Catholic thing is always there under the surface. Not sure how much of it comes through in my more recent work, but *I* certainly know it's there!

And I just love Oscar Wilde. His mother has a cameo in MORTAL LOVE, which was fun.

iotar
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:35 am:   

We seem to be having some problems with the server that hosts the Winterlong site. Hopefully this is a temporary blip and normal service will be resumed by the time you read this.

iotar
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:18 am:   

As I thought: the merest blip. We're back!

liz
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:56 am:   

Thanks, Zali!

Nels
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:18 am:   

Hi.

Having really enjoyed your novellas "the Least Trumps" and --er, the butterfly one, shit I've forgotten the title -- I saw "Glimmering" in a second hand bookshop. I started it on Monday and finished it, and I loved it; I know this is probably an inappropriate place to remark, but I just thought I'd say that the way you segued all the Gothicisms that I've loved since a kid (decay of the aristocratic family, ambiguous haunting, decadence, putrefaction, fear of sex &c) into a shiny high-tec package (conflated with a tender love story) was wonderful.

Sorry if I'm coming across like I'm being rude or a nerd, and it's not even that I just had to shout out "I got it"; more that I was inspired by the way you updated the tropes, showed that there was still worth in material if handled intelligently and with love. I know "breathed new life into" is a clichť, but... You did.

It's a precious, lovely book.

Anyway, I'm going to dig around on your site now (which, yes, does look very nice) and attempt to find out what else you've written, and then sprint down the local bookshop. Thank you for writing.

Take care

Nels.

iotar
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 02:32 am:   

Seems like there's some problem with the Winterlong server. I haven't heard anything from our service providers yet, but hopefully it's just an unscheduled blip.

Apologies to anyone trying to get onto Winterlong.

iotar
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

We're back!

Or as our hosts said:
"During our normal maintenance window, our primary server experienced a power supply failure after a reboot from routine maintenance. The power supply has been changed and all services have been restored to full operation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

liz hand
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 11:14 am:   

Gee, and I didn't even notice we were gone ...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register