Techno Info Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » Techno Info « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

liz hand
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 10:04 am:   

To all & sundry -- I'm working on my new novel, GENERATION LOSS, and need some basic info on the recording and production of techno (insert your favorite variant here). I've looked around the web but seems like there's just Too Much Information out there for a dilletante layperson like myself. Anyone got any suggestions as to a good primary source?

Also, for everyone who looked for Al Caiola for me -- my mother found the original vinyl in our attic. It's now safe here in Maine (sans picture sleeve).

Tom Rogers
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 10:24 pm:   

You've probably already, gotten your questions answered, or maybe not, since there's not an abundance of good general overviews. But anyway here's what I found useful and inspirational while I was dabbling in electronica.

You might take a look at: Brain Eno and the Vertical Color of Sound--Eric Tamm

That was the only book I found of any use at all in a course I took on electronic music (other than user/reference guides) for the equipment. You can check out the 'listmanias' that come up when you look at the book, some looked pretty promising. Eno would probably be best classified as wacky ambient, but he was an early adopter of the technology and a pioneer for using things that are commonplace in techno.

Next you might take a look at: Elevator Music: a surreal history of muzak, easy listening and other moodsong--Joseph Lanza.

Less useful perhaps for what you are looking for, but it gives you a feel for how technology has transformed the musical experience (going from reproduction of sound to its transformation for example). Haven't read the new edition.

A lot of people in techno get their identity (and possibly their capability) from their hardware and software. So if you're googling you can a lot of good stuff by using something like TB-303 in a search string. I found some proomising sites when I entered "techno looping tb-303'. The near mythical status of the 303 and other roland equipment for techno and hip hop makes them good search terms for finding sites and disussion groups.

I'm not sure what your musical background is, but 5 years ago one of my friends at work was able to go out on the net and download some free or trial software and find sources for samples so we could make our own techno on our computers.

liz
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 06:44 am:   

Tom -- Thanks. That's great stuff. I had Eno in mind as a model -- I've been listening to him for 30-odd years now (and I was afraid this would date me, since I don't know as much about contemporary stuff) , but I didn't know there was a book about his work.

So that's very helpful. I'll look it up immediately. I also know nothing about TB-303, like what it is! but I'll google that right now.

Thanks again -- I haven't heard from anyone else, so this is very useful.

justin
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 07:42 pm:   

David Toop has also done some wonderful books about the origins of electronic music and it's evolution.
Eno doesn't date you at all, he's still quite relevant and continues to inspire artists regularly.
are you interested in dance style techno or something other...i know a bit about bands and styles and what i don't know...well i've many friends that i swap music with on SoulSeek...usually just our personal creations, but sometimes out of print or obscure releases.

let me know if you've specific questions and i'll do my best.

liz hand
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 07:55 am:   

Justin -- thanks. I'll check those out too. Did I ever send you that copy of Icarus? I had it out to do so (months ago) but now don't know if I mailed it or misplaced it. Let me know.

I don't really know what I'm interested in -- probably dance techno. I have to say a lot of it sounds alike to me -- like Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" without the vocal track. This doesn't mean I don't like it, only that my ears can't discern between songs all the time. Some things, like ambient, I recognize as a separate entity (more like Fripp/Eno's collabrotions), but others sound similar to each other. Probably I need a crash course in listening to this stuff. I got two of the Northern Exposure compilations;I like some of the songs, others no. Another confession: I tend to like the stuff that sounds more like disco -- actually, the stuff that sounds like "I Feel Love."

justin
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 07:49 pm:   

hmmm...did you ever hear Bronski Beat's version?

maybe i'll put a few discs together for your perusal, maybe others could as well so you can get a real sampling of the types of electronic sounds.

i never did get a copy of Icarus, but i had read it from the library...i actually quite liked it...

i introduced my wife to Northern Exposure and she loves it! i may have to pick up the new DVD sets for her birthday...

liz
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 05:02 am:   

Thanks-- that would be great, but please don't go to a lot of trouble! What would be useful is if you could annotate a few songs for me, if you know anything about the band/composer/producer/style. That way I'd have some idea of what I'm listening to.

The second disc of the second Northern Exposure compilation I like quite a lot, songs by Breeder & Humate & Delta Lady, can't remember who else. Intresting stuff.

I'll still send you Icarus. I think I've got your address, if not I'll email you.

Bronski Beat doing "I Feel Love?" How could I have missed that!

justin
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 04:36 pm:   

http://www.eurodancehits.com/dict.html

this is a starting point, but very incomplete...it may introduce you to some of the backgrounds of the styles.

i'll start on a collection, but if you spot something that sounds interesting let me know. i've resources to get ahold of many various sounds...

more soon.

liz
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 02:38 am:   

Justin -- this is fantastic, thanks so much! It's *exactly* what I needed. And I certainly will sleep better tonight, knowing that Italo Happy Disco is on the rise again.

It's amazing that disco/electronica spawned all these hybrids, and all these names, whereas punk spawned -- well, more punk, despite the use of hardcore, emo, etc. as terms for variant forms. It's intriguing. I need to remember the name of the band (band? composer? co-op? what IS it, exactly?) and songa on Northern Exposure that I like and ask you to identify them for me. I'm pretty sure they're not Italo Happy Disco.

justin
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 07:50 pm:   

http://www.cthulhulives.org/Solstice/index.html

oh this is the other...Lovecraft holiday.

where do you want a copy sent to?

justin

Ken Anderson
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 06:04 pm:   

Hi Liz!
This is a long lost old St Pat's buddy! I was talking to my son about you and your novels tonight. I decided to do a search and found this website/forum.

As small a world as it is, my son got a hefty scholarship to Albright College (Reading, PA) for his producing Techno music. He'd be thrilled to help you with any info you needed. He is very talented in and studying Digital Media.

email me, I'd love to catch up. Its been a while! Glad to see you doing so well in what you love doing!

liz
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 05:08 am:   

Ken! What a great thing to hear from you! For some reason I can't link into your email here -- I'm at tbird@midcoast.com. Email me, I'd love to hear how you're doing!

Also, tell your son I'd love to pick his brain -- and congratulations on th scholarship.

Merry Christmas!

Ken Anderson
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 07:11 am:   

Aren't too many of us who can say they knew you back in grade school! What was in our graduating class? 24? 26?

justin
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 08:04 pm:   

hey Liz! i have a few cdrs ready for you....where do you want them sent to?
i'll include some music i have created just for grins...maybe even the ones inspired by some of your writing as well as the HPLovecraft Society and various techno cdrs...there are some styles that i simply cannot appreciate enough to feel confident in knowing if they are good or not...so i'll send you some that i know are good!

Liz
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 03:16 am:   

Hey Justin! Thanks a million! Mailing address is P.O. Box 269, Lincolnville, ME 04849.

I still have this copy of ICARUS to send you -- what's your address? You can email it if you don't want to post it ....

justin
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 04:46 am:   

i'll get them out the door before the weekend...

i'm at:
11662 Community Ctr Dr #90
Northglenn, Co. 80233

Jack Dann
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 05:56 am:   

Hi, Liz,

Checking in. Long time no see, kiddo!

liz
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 03:53 am:   

Hey Jack! Great to hear from you! How are things in Oz? My cousin moved to Sydney a few months ago, thus increasing my chances of getting down there someday. I hear Ellen's going in a few weeks? Wish it were me -- it's frigid here in Maine.

Will you be in Glasgow for Worldcon? It would be great to see you again & catch up. Fill me in on what you're doing! Love,
Liz

justin
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 01:24 pm:   

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

the tutorial here made me laugh, but it's an amazing site and really does have some cool information.

really silly too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register