Music Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hand, Elizabeth » Music « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

liz hand
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 06:24 am:   

I figure that with all you people who know about music, this would be the place to ask for help with tracking down a recording or download of a song.

I'm looking for a version of the theme music for the 1961 film "The Wonderful World of the Bothers Grimm." This particular cover was by Al Caiola (with orchestra), a guitarist whose biggest hits were the themes for BONANZA and "The Magnificent Seven." There was an Al Caiola LP from around 1962 that had the Bros. Grimm theme along with a bunch of other movie music -- "Experiment in Terror," "Quando Quando Quando," "Bonanza," etc., but I've lost my own copy and can't find it anywhere.

I've looked around online and found a Henry Mancini compilation of cocktail music has the song in a tinkly version, and there's a loopy cover (with lyrics!) by the French singer Dalida, but I'd love to locate the Caiola cover. Any ideas? I'd be very grateful for any help.

justin headrick
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   

I'll check on it...looks like it may be on the out of print "Best of...", but "Bonanza 1960-1969" has some of those songs, but not "The Wonderful World..." I'll keep looking....

do you like Snakefinger as well? just ran across mention in Mortal Love....too bad the Residents never did make him a star...

justin
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 10:23 pm:   

Did you want it on cd or do you have a record player?

bill reynolds
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 07:33 am:   

Mmmmmmm. Saw Snakefinger live at Max's Kansas City and backing the Residents during the Mole tour (i.e. 2 original Residents and two dancers with eyeball heads and Snakefinger. My girlfriend at the time had the unmitigated bad taste to compare them to Mumenchantz.)

The Residents show is where I met the great comic artist Matt Howarth and he told me I was the only person ever (up to that point) to have recognized his violent, psychotic comic characters Those Annoying Post Brothers as being based on Ron and Russ Mael from Sparks. ('scuzzee for tooting my own patootie.)

I'm not doing any better than you are, Jason, on Caiola. The compilation you mention also allegedly has poorly mixed sound. I think it was released by Raven in Australia and is still available from them. They have a neat little store near the QEB.

The GEMM site lists tons of items in all formats but no songlists I have been able to link to.

bill reynolds
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:00 am:   

OK. The All Music Guide lists the following as the only 1960s Al Caiola LPs:
1960 Cleopatra and All That Jazz United Artists
1961 Golden Hit Instrumentals United Artists
1962 Guitar Style RCA Camden
1965 Tuff Guitar English Style United Artists
1967 King Guitar United Artists
1969 Let the Sunshine In United Artists
196? Soft Picks Bainbridge
Tracks are listed for Cleopatra (too early anyway) and Guitar Style and Soft Picks - nope
On King Guitar it lists only For a Few Dollars More and sez Mag 7 and Bonanza are NOT included.
Tuff Guitar is Brit Beat covers
Let the Sun Shine In is described as pseudohippe.
This leaves us with Golden Hit Instrumentals. No song list but it sez it does include Bonanza. However the text description sez it was covers of other pop guitar hits.
On GEMM I found about 8 covers of Bros. Grimm by other people so it could have been a hit and UA records always went out of their way to include their movie themes on their records.
I went to imdb and can't confirm this was UA. I didn't know very much about this movie. George Pal? Laurence Harvey? Oskar Homolka? Claire Bloom? Walter Slezak? Where did this creep out of?
Lots of people covered WWBG from Tony Hatch to Lawerence Welk to David Rose to the duo of Buddy Hackett and Jim Backus (which I am now REALLY sorry that I know.) So it has to have had quasi hit status.
Best Bet then is Golden Hit Instrumentals, but I'm trying to verify that because All Music includes only Al Caiola where he was NOT paired up with another artist.
Gemm has several copies of Golden Hits avail. for sale but hold off a bit.
http://db5.gemm.com/ddc/search.pl?&disp_ad_format_mode=0&artist=CAIOLA%2CAL&titl e=GOLDEN+HIT+INSTRUMENTALS

liz hand
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:47 am:   

Wow! So much info, one little song! My guess is it might be 1961 Golden Hit Instrumentals -- that's about the right time. I had the album for years, though the cover disappeared, but now the LP has gone walkabout as well. It definitely had "Bonanza" on it. I have a record player, so if I (or anyone else) can track down vinyl, that's okay. A few years ago I did find a CD of Bert Kampfert, another 1960s fave, which has the theme to The Sandy Becker Show on it -- "That Happy Feeling." I thought the Caiola might have ahd the same happy fate, but I guess not.

WWOTBG was a UA movie in Cinerama. Not particularly memorable -- I have it on VHS and can vouch it doesn't hold up-- save for the very beautiful young Laurence Harvey and wonderful George Pal creations, a dragon, Puppetoons, etc. The fairy tale sequences are good -- The 12 Dancing Pincesses, The Juniper Tree, here called The SInging Bone (doped down with Terry Thomas and Buddy hacket, but the singing bone is good, ditto the dragon), and The Elves and the Shoemaker. There's a lovely, sentimental sequence near the end where WIlhelm Grimm (Or is it Jajob? Harvey's character, anyway) is visited by all the fairy tale characters he "saved" by preserving their stories. I saw the movie when i was about four and it amde a lifelong impression on me.

Interestingly enough, It must alsdo have made an impression on Tim Burton (who's my age) -- he's directing a new version of it starring Johnny Depp. Pretty wild.

It's a great over-the-top 1960s theme song!

liz hand
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:48 am:   

oops -- forgot to say, I lvoe Snakefinegr! Saw him a few times in DC. I'm out the door, must write more later -- Justin, your book will be in the mail soon...

bill reynolds
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 05:15 pm:   

Maybe I'll pop for a copy from GEMM. I never knew about Al (my first guitar idol was Link Wray) and I'm curious as to how he sounded. They're only about 12 bucks. I want to see the movie too, even if it doesn't seem to hold up well in your memory. I loved both Walter Slezak and Oscar Homolka (who played a Soviet general in two of the Michael Caine Harry Palmer films. Charles Strauss did a piece partially on Harry Palmer author Len Deighton as the afterward in The Atrocity Archives.)

Ah. Sandy Becker. I remember him. Kid-TV was so much more warped in those days. No wonder the 60s happened. Did you ever catch Andy's Gang starring Andy Devine with Midnight an amazingly nasty zombified puppet cat that would only say "nice" in a sarcastic lisp. Midnight's voice was done by June (Rocky the F.S.) Foray. Andy's other companion was this puppet who was clearly on crystal meth and voiced by Andy himself. Andy would yell out "Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy," at which point this pupped would appear in a puff of smoke and say in a gravelly voice reeking with sexual innuendo, "Hiya kids. Hiya, Hiya, Hiya."

Doc Rock
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

I'm coming a little late to the posting --
but I'm doing a google search on Caiola "Quando Quando Quando" and this site came up !
I am trying to reconstruct my brother's reel-to-reel playlist that he had from college ('63-'64),
and there's 3 Caiola songs I have not located, nor can find the LP that they may have appeared on -

Quando Quando Quando
Theme from Brothers Grimm
Moon River

if anyone can identify the LP or LPs , it would greatly aid my search on ebay or wherever...

thx..

those on my list that I have as mp3s are
Calcutta
Guitar Boogie
Guns of Navarone
Magnificent Seven

Doc Rock
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 11:53 am:   

Guess I should have waited a few more hours and completed my search -
apparently there's another 'Best Of' LP that's
got the ones I was looking for:
United Artists UAS-6310 (1963 ?)

Side 1
1 - The magnificent Seven
2 - Calcutta
3 - Guitar Boogie
4 - Guns of Navarone
5 - Anthony and Cleopatra theme
6 - Quando Quando Quando

Side 2
1 - Bonanza
2 - Moon river
3 - Experiment in Terror
4 - Bali Hai
5 - Love is Like Champagne
6 - Theme for Brothers Grimm

Just bought this on e-bay from guy in Michigan -
suspect it'll take 7-10 days for it to get to me...
i'm not opposed to ripping the tracks and posting
it as mp3s or something -- but let's see what kind of shape the LP is in first ...

liz hand
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 05:15 am:   

Hey Doc,

Just checked this site for the first time in a while, been out of town. But yes, that songlist is from the Al Caiola Movie Themes LP I was looking for earlier in the year. I found my childhood copy (no picturesleeve, it disintegrated long ago) a little while back. It's a great collection of movie music from the early 60s, if you're into that kind of thing. If you're up to burning a CD from it, I'd be happy to buy/trade a copy as I only have it on vinyl and (she is shamed to admit) I still haven't learned how to burn CDs on my eMac and iBook. My copy is also pretty scratchy, though I've goten used to that.

Doc Rock
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:06 pm:   

actually, the copy that I bought is in good shape;
no need to "trade" as this point -- be glad to burn onto CD --

I plan to run music through a 'filter' first
to remove some of the pops and clicks;
i'm no expert at this ( but I do keep an eye
on what works for other people )

this will probably take place in the next
couple of weeks - ( going to chicago next week,
then there's labor day, etc etc.. )

because this is a public forum, tell me your preferred method of delivery via e-mail below -
po box, home address, whatever...

- delivery in person is not a good option
( although my daughter and family
are in the Bangor area ;-) and yes, I do
owe them a visit.... but that's for another
time methinks...)

anyway, send details to

docrock8@hotmail.com

thx.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register