HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Will Eisner 1917-2005

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Argosy » Will Eisner 1917-2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Coppervale
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 08:39 am:   

I don't know what to say.

Will was one of my best supporters, and always stopped by my booth in San Diego to say hello. I met him in 1986, on the first comics panel I ever participated on. We've been infrequent correspondents ever since.

My favorite Christmas gift, ever, was the Smithsonian Book of Comic Book Comics, which had several SPIRIT stories within.

My most treasured piece of art is the illustration Will did of my own character, Ezekiel Higgins, for STARCHILD #0.

One of my most prized letters is one from Will, offering a compliment on one of my books - which he had asked for, saying he wanted to "stay current" with my progress as an artist.

He was truly a good man, and a valued mentor, and a great, great inspiration, and my heart just aches, missing him.

James A. Owen

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 06:03 pm:   

First Freas, now Eisner, some classic illustrators, gone forever.

JK

Coppervale
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   

I didn't know Kelly as well as Will, but he was also an influence, and very much a gentleman.

He contributed an afterword to the abovementioned STARCHILD #0 (my having asked at a period when he was unwell, and not up to drawing - which makes his willingness to contribute a written piece, just to pitch in, all the more gracious) so the last few days have been a reminiscence, certainly.

A recent Freas discovery (for me) is the Laser Books paperback series, edited by Roger Elwood. What, some SEVENTY covers by Kelly, all of a theme, but all unique?

Amazing. Just amazing.

James

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |