HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Argosy Available in Two Formats

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Argosy » Argosy Available in Two Formats « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:37 am:   

Beginning with issue two, Argosy Magazine will be produced in two separate formats. The slipcased, two-volume format produced for issue one will now be called "the Connoisseur edition", and will go out to our direct sales customers, subscribers, independent bookstores, and direct sales comic stores. A second, newsstand-friendly edition, dubbed "the Proletarian edition," will be produced as a single-volume magazine. This version will contain all the interior pages of its sister edition, but won't be shrink-wrapped or slipcased and will carry a barcode on the front cover. The Proletarian edition will ship via our distributor Rider Circulation Services (www.gorcs.com) and should be available in major chains such as Barnes & Noble, Borders, BooksAMillion, and Tower. Both editions will retain for $12.95.

We feel this compromise solution will keep our loyal subscribers happy, by offering them the higher end collectable, slipcased version, as well as satisfying our loyal sponsors, by giving them the national platform they require for their advertisements. Issue two is currently with our printer, and should ship to subscribers in early April, with the chain stores receiving it in May.

Tribeless
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:34 pm:   

Hi Lou

I only read ebooks now (have done for about three years due to convenience, and instant availability given that I live in NZ). Just about all my content is purchased from Fictionwise.com or Palm media (in Palm's secure format, or fictionwise's multi format [Palm]).

I hope you will soon be publishing and retailing in e-formats. It looks like a very good magazine (in your first two editions you've published some of my favourite authors) and I would like to be able to add it to my buy list?

Lou Anders
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:10 pm:   

Hi Tribeless,
I'm sorry to tell you that there are no plans to do ebook versions of Argosy at present. In fact, if you see a copy of the magazine, you'll realize that we are sort of "the anti-ebook". Argosy is a deliberate attempt to invoke an older era of publishing, and we hope that what we're producing is more collectible and ornate than the average digest magazine.
Sorry bout that! I hope you'll make an exception for us!

Tribeless
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:37 pm:   

:-) Trouble is I live in a 'remote' area in New Zealand ... chances of seeing a hard copy here are thus similarly remote (although I think your site said you're available on Amazon ... anyway, I'll go have a look later). Being from NZ the Internet has been an absolute boon for me, allowing me to purchase Asimov's, F&SF, etc in ebook versions and so be as up to date as the rest of the world].

I understand you have a different ethos though. Pity.

Cheers

Lou Anders
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:13 pm:   

Tribeless,
I worked in the ebook space back in 2000 and am not antagonistic to them at all. And in fact my anthology LIVE WITHOUT A NET (if you'll forgive the shameless plug) is available in three ebook formats on Amazon right now - somewhat ironic since it's an anti-internet anthology. But ebooks really are antithetical to Argosy's vibe. Maybe we could be talked into doing an ebook version of a Best-of collection or something one day in the future. We'll see.
Best,

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |