HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Historical Fiction

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Argosy » Historical Fiction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard A. Jones
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 05:20 am:   

Historical fiction was an important element of the original Argosy--is the new Argosy interested in seeing anything of that sort in its pages? I didn't see it listed in the range of possible genres.

Curiously yours,

Howard A. Jones

Lou Anders
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 09:27 am:   

Howard,
The new Argosy is indeed interested in historical fiction, but you don't see it listed for a reason. Like Westerns, the Historical fiction genre is something that we're not opposed to running, but which we don't want nor need to be inundated with. We figure that we'll have plenty for our needs without advertising for it, and to list it on our submissions guidelines page would be to invite much more than we can use.
That being said, I believe Barry Baldwin's excellent tale VE Knights, which appears in our debut issue, could count as a historical. I'd be interested in what everyone thinks of that when they see it.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 12:44 am:   

Hi Lou

My collection 'Tales from the Crypto-System' has just been published by Prime books. I have just finished an historical short story set in an alternative 'Elizabethan' era. It is bawdy in a humorous English fashion and the science it in it is kind of pre-steampunk. Is this something that Argosy might possibly look at or am I way off the mark?

Lou Anders
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 11:24 am:   

Hi Geoffrey,
Congratulations on Tales from the Crypto-System. Good luck with it.
To answer your question - I can't really comment on a particular story sight-unseen here, beyond saying that we're open to all sorts of stories. I will say that I'm extremely top heavy & backlogged with SF&F right now and that we are probably a very tough & picky market to crack.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 04:19 am:   

Thanks Lou, sounds like exactly the market that I do want to crack, but if you are totally backlogged, I'll wait for a bit.

Darlene Dineen
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 03:04 pm:   

Join the Salt Lake County Library System in chatting with pulitzer prize winning author, William Dietrich. Mr. Dietrich is currently a Reader's Choice nominee at the library system for his book "Scourge of God" about Attila the Hun. The chat will be at 7:00 pm MST. Follow the links at http://www.slco.lib.ut.us/horrorauthorchat.htm (you can also see some of the other wonderful authors we will be chatting with) or go directly to http://www.sff.net/people/pff/chatpages/SLCoLib.htm

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |