HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The First Issue

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Argosy » The First Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   

For folks who might want to know, revealed here only, the Complete Contents for the First Issue:

Main Magazine:
cover art -Leo & Diane Dillon
Jeffrey Ford - A Night in the Tropics
Ann Cummins - Pyromaniac
Caitlin R. Kiernan - Riding the White Bull
Adam Roberts - An Interview with Samuel R. Delany
Barry Baldwin - VE Knights
Chris Nakashima-Brown - The Launch Pad
Benjamin Rosenbaum - The Valley of the Giants

Accompanying Novella:
Michael Moorcock - The Mystery of the Texas Twister
cover & interiors - Jon Foster (www.jonfoster.com)

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 04:32 pm:   

A very interesting mix, Lou. I like.

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 07:54 pm:   

Thanks, Jay. I think it is too.
Ann comes to us of McSweeney's, Best American Short Stories 2002, and New Yorker,
whereas Barry Baldwin is a frequent contributor to Alfred Hitchcock's and Ellery Queen (shortlisted for the Edgar and Ellis a few times). I'm very proud of the range of styles and genres represented, not to mention the quality of the fiction, and plan to keep this mix each issue.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:42 am:   

Lou wants a thread on this board that won't die, but I can't promise anything but a good, honest try. You see, I think the problem with Argosy at the moment is that without a first issue to look at (caress, hold, read, toss aside) it's difficult to have anything good, bad, or indifferent to say beyond: hey, they're reviviing Argosy, what a great idea! I'm looking forward to it. I wish it was a little lighter on the pocketbook, but if the content matches up with the names, it will be worth the $$$.

It will be interesting to see the blend of writers in this latest incarnation of Argosy, as I was always struck that the original carried a blend of SF, mystery, and horror. That seems to be what Lou is doing here, too. I think it's awful exciting to get some names into the magazine that your typical SF fan might have missed.

What else are you doing for promotion, Lou? Are you hitting the mystery markets with advertising? I have to admit I haven't seen any advertising for Argosy anywhere but here, but sometimes I can be in a hole.

Will Argosy be carried on any newstands or speciality stores? Gotham Book Mart on W. 47th comes to mind, I think Argosy would be perfect there. They carry Conjunctions, Paris Review, etc., and last week I was in there and they had all the Old Earth Whittemore books. They even carry Lucius's Ziesing chapbook there.

BTW, congrats on the wedding!

John Klima

Thomas R
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 05:02 pm:   

Will you be able to dig up any writers from the old Argosy? I'm thinking that won't work because to misquote the Simpsons.

"Remember when we were going to try that last time?

Oh yes they're all dead, and rather pungent. That's a writer's conference I'd like to forget"

(My attempt at saying something crazy to encourage discussion. Didn't say I was any good at it)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 07:44 am:   

Why stop with writers from the original run of Argosy? Why not steal original writers from Weird Tales? Or Astounding? Or Amazing? Or Thrilling Detective Tales? Or Thrilling Detective Weird Startling Tales?

Lou Anders
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:53 am:   

Hey
the "undying thread" was sort of a joke, and I realize that it will be hard for this board to take off until we've debuted, but thank you!
re: promotions - Not sure what I'm at liberty to say, but Coppervale's just done a distribution deal with a noted distributor that ships to all the majors, wall-mart, etc... Also, the magazine will carry an ISBN and be in trade paperback format, so any major bookstore can order it.

Lou Anders
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:01 am:   

As to "original writers" - we're not the old Argosy, we're a new magazine, and I prefer to be more forward-centric. However, we have heard from a few folks who remember earlier Argosy's fondly, and even one or two who appeared there. I'm honored by their interest, though at least one of the subs I've gotten felt extremely dated / out of place in a 21st century magazine. Then again, there are a few "distinguished" men and women of letters clocking in with material that may very well end up in one of our future issues. Either way, I'm very flattered/honored by all of them considering us. I prefer to be true to the "spirit" of the pulps, of that mix of genres etc... while making this Argosy a magazine focused not on nostalgia but on moving ahead. Does that make sense?

Thomas R
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:58 pm:   

Uhh that was a joke. I was being basically silly. I got pretty quick it was just to have a quality magazines that cross-genres. Like the original was for it's time. Not that you'd reprint old Murray Leinster stories or something. (Although if you did have like a short-short or poem from a contributor to the old one I think that would be kind of cool.)

Lou
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:34 pm:   

Yeah, but I've already gone on record several times and said "no reprints" in front of a few crowds (with one caviat that I pointed out each time), so I've kind of already killed that one!

Lou Anders
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 06:54 am:   

One thing I want to clarify:
I was asked recently if the "separately bound novella" concept would repeat, in specials or holiday issues, by someone who assumed that this was a one-time gimmick for the premiere.
So I thought I'd point out that it is most assuredly not a one-time thing.
Every single issue of Argosy magazine will be slipcased, with a main magazine and a separately bound novella. This is the whole concept, not a "first issue" special.
Issue One clocks in at 144 pages for the "main mag" and 80 pages for the novella. So for $12.95, we think its a pretty good deal (and it's only $8.63 an issue if you subscribe).

Lou Anders
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 06:56 am:   

Also, Emily Raboteau's story Rum and the Flesh has been added to issue one as well. We're packin' 'em in!

Lou Anders
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:43 am:   

In addition to subscriptions,
we now have information on the website for purchasing just the first issue.
So folks who want to sample one before they commit to six can now do so.
http://www.argosymag.com/CurrentIssue.html

John Klima
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:33 pm:   

Will I be able to get one at World Fantasy, or will the first issue not be out by then? (I know it says somewhere else on this board, but I feel important when I get personal responses to my questions)

JK

John Klima's Personal Response
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 07:32 am:   

Hey John
Barring natural disasters and acts of local deities,
you will be able to get one at WFC.
We've made arrangements with a few dealers to carry it there,
although we won't be bringing too many for the trip,
so snatch it up when you see it!
Lou

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 05:56 am:   

Well cool. I'll be around for Saturday and Sunday of World Fantasy, so we'll see if I can find one. If nothing else, I'll order one (or a subscription) off the website.

JK

Salesman Lou
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 07:16 am:   

At this point, Salesman Lou would be remiss if he didn't point out that it's just $8.32 an issue including shipping if you get the subscription. Not bad for a 224 page magazine in two volumes, with artwork & photography, on nice, heavy stock, in an illustrated slipcase huh? I mean, I'd pay $8.63 just for a new Moorcock novella. This one has a whole 'nother magazine attached to it. But don't let me twist your arm.
;)

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 04:05 pm:   

A jpg of our slipcase cover is now up on the "current issue" page for folks who are curious and can't wait a week!
http://www.argosymag.com/CurrentIssue.html

Pat Lundrigan
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 09:57 am:   

I just subbed via PayPal -- will I get the first issue, or do I have to wait the dreaded 6-8 weeks?

Lou Anders
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 04:04 pm:   

Hi Pat,
There will be an announcement on the site shortly, but basically, it's looking like everything recieved before Jan 1st will be for the first issue. Subscriptions recieved after Jan 1st will apply towards issue two. (Of course, folks who already HAVE issue one, and want to subscribe can indicate either via snailmail, email or through the note section on paypal which issue they want their subscriptions to begin with). Also, subscriptions will be mailed out in about 2 weeks, to arrive between Nov 15th and 30th - still a few weeks ahead of the "onsale date" of Dec 15th for the major chains.

Pat Lundrigan
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 09:50 am:   

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the first issue.

tobias s buckell
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:36 am:   

Lou, you fucking rock! Everyone for the past couple years has moaned and groaned about the magazines and how bad it is, and you're here showing them style and class will fetch attention! Ever since I saw 'The Spook' online (now Metropole) I knew someone could do it on the print side and rock hard.

SF magazines need Apple and Absolut vodka advertising in the inner pages. They need glossy, 'here I am buy me I look cool' packaging that is in line with the other magazines out there on the shelf.

You've done an awesome thing with this. Way to be!

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:58 am:   

Many many thanks!
We're very anxious to hear what people think!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 11:21 am:   

Lou--the Jeff Ford story in issue 1 just blew me away. I had no idea how he was going to tie the different storylines together, but of course, Ford excels at that. I also dug the Rosenbaum story, which I read right after the Ford, and it made for a weird juxtaposition of reality vs. surreal mixed with reality. Nice. Made my train ride back from WFC just fly by.

And I just read the bit further up the thread about novellas being slip-cased (can I use that as a verb? Ah well, just did) with issues now and then, and think that's an awesome idea.

Looking forward to reading more. Nice work. (And nice wedding photo in LOCUS!)

James A. Owen
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   

The novellas are a regular feature, Mike - Argosy is a two-volume magazine, so you'll get a slipcase and a new novella every issue!

Charlie Stross and Cory Doctorow are up next, followed by Chris Roberson in 3.

James

Lou Anders
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 02:45 pm:   

Thanks for the feedback Mike. And for the nice words re: Locus photos. And yes, the novella & slipcase design is a standard feature. We keep hearing from people who think that was a one-off or a first issue gimmick. It isn't! It's the point!

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 06:02 pm:   

I want to join the chorus of praise regarding the first issue of the magazine. I picked up a copy at WFC and read nearly all of it on the flight home. Gorgeous design, solid writing (my favorite was the Ann Cummins story), and an interview with Delany to boot!

What a commanding display of craftsmanship, stem to stern. It joins The Third Alternative and Tin House as one of the best looking -- and reading -- fiction magazines around. I'll be subscribing.

Lou Anders
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 07:13 pm:   

Thank you, Nathan. You're not the first to single out the Ann Cummins story either. But have you made it to the Moorcock novella yet?

Michael Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 06:41 am:   

Okay, Lou -- I finished up the two parts of the first issue of ARGOSY. Hope you don't mind if I share my thoughts here...

Okay, I confess I skimmed the last half of the Moorcock novella, "The Mystery of the Texas Twister," which I thought was a bit disappointing. I think Moorcock was going for a pulpy feel, but it just didn't work for me -- stilted dialog, way too many characters, too much talking and not enough action. Some nice alternate history/world-building, just not enough story.

On the story side of things, Jeffrey Ford's "A Night in the Tropics" was my favorite, and I've raved about this one elsewhere, but the best part was the story-within-a-story and how that paralleled the mural on the wall. Beautiful ending.

Ben Rosenbaum's "The Valley of Giants" was my second favorite, with its mix of the painfully real details of a war-torn city with the giants in the land of its title. Weird ending, but it worked for me.

"Pyromanic" by Ann Cummins took a bit to get going (again, too many characters and too much unnecessary action, like the Hangman game), but it really picked up a couple pages in, and had a great ending (notice a pattern here?).

I really wanted to like "Riding the White Bull" by Caitlin Kiernan, but it frustrated me -- I felt like the narrator and author were withholding information from me unnecessarily. I don't like feeling toyed with as a reader. But what's actually on the page is quite good, and I liked the shifting through time and memory. So the frustration I was feelig may have been intention on Kiernan's part.

"Rum and the Flesh" by Emily Raboteau and "Launch Pad" by Chris Nakashima-Brown were nice exercises in language, but both felt like prose poems to me. Nice imagery, hilarious in the case of "Launch Pad," but not a lot of story to hang your hat on.

"VE Knights" by Barry Baldwin was a good story, but nothing really earth-shaking. The ending sort of came from nowhere, and I'm not sure it was really needed (that final twist, that is).

And the Samuel Delaney interview really really made me feel simple. And made me glad I'm not in grad school taking theory classes any longer. (shudder)

I've been reading this magazine very closely (and just subscribed for a year), because I think it's going to be one of the good ones, for a long time to come.

Okay, hope I haven't overstayed my welcome here... Just trying to liven things up a bit... :-)

Gwenda B.
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 01:52 pm:   

Hello Lou:

Just wanted to say how much I loved the first issue of Argosy. I honestly can't remember the last time I read a fiction magazine where I didn't end up skipping any of the stories and I thought all of them were really strong work. You have great taste. The mixture of stories worked perfectly for me.

I thought "Riding the White Bull" was one of the best science fiction stories I've read in a long time. The new direction Caitlin's writing seems to be taking is dead fascinating.

And of course, the Ford is excellent, as usual. I also loved the pirate story by Emily Raboteau, and "VE Knights." But, like I said, I honestly enjoyed all the stories.

And the fact it's a beautiful product doesn't hurt either. While I liked the photography on its own terms, I'm not sure it complemented the stories as well as it could have in tone. But I have a feeling that could just be me. I like the ambition of including it, and the way it pushes at the normal way art is part of magazines.

I haven't gotten to the novella yet, and haven't read much Moorcock so may not. But I'll definitely be subscribing based on the promise of this issue.

Best,

Gwenda Bond

Lou Anders
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 02:56 pm:   

Michael and Gwenda
thank you both very sincerely for your feedback!
Michael, it's precisely Caitlin's use of an "unreliable narrator" that I found so compelling (well, that and her managing to quote Cooleridge and Charles Fort and make them somehow work together), but I can understand if it didn't work for you. I was glad to see it work well for Gwenda though.
As for the way the photography "pushes" at the normal use of art, that's exactly the point Publisher/ED James Owen was going for. I think it's a new direction from other genre magazines and a bold one at that. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I will say we're working hard to line up some other interesting art pieces to juxapose against the prose this way in future.
Finally, many thanks to both of you for such careful reading!

Gorden Russell
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 05:02 pm:   

I'm the excitable and impulsive sort. I used Pay Pal on Nov 8 to order issue number one before this thread was added. Looking at this thread I went back to Pay Pal this evening with a different credit card and subscribed to the 6 issue special. Can you add the two subscriptions together and give me 7 separate issues instead of two copies of issue number one?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 05:18 pm:   

Oh man, I forgot to mention the photos! Thanks for the tip, Gwenda and Lou. I liked 'em all, especially the notes about each photo from Mr. Pratt, and thought they added another dimension (and a sense of consistency) to the issue.

I'll have to re-read the Kiernan story one of these days...

B. Sidis
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 11:20 am:   

I have just subscribed to Argosy, and also purchased two gift subscriptions. I have not read it yet, but I have seen the books and covers being assembled at Coppervale International's printer, and the design work is stunning. If the quality of the literary material is held to the same standard as the packaging design, then the new Argosy will become a publishing landmark.

B. Sidis

Joe Morris
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 09:29 am:   

Sounds like some people have received the first issue. How long till I should get worried about not getting mine? Thanks! Looking forward to it

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:12 am:   

Joe,
none of our subscriptions have been mailed out yet. We had 300 sent to WFC directly from the printer - the first 300 of the print run - and those sold to the folks there and that's who's buzzing about it now. But the rest of the print run is still making its slow way to our offices. Orders should be filled in the first two weeks of December (possibly sooner). No need to panick yet! But when you do get it, please do come back and let us know what you think!
Thanks!

Ace Hamilton
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 09:01 pm:   

If I subscribe now will it start with the first issue? I haven't seen it on the newstand and don't want to miss one.

Lou Anders
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:47 am:   

Hi Ace,
Yes, all subscriptions begin with the first issue until Jan 1st. (Unless you write and request otherwise). Don't worry about not having seen us on newsstands - we won't be onsale there until Dec 15th.

Srebren
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 08:54 am:   

Greetings to the Lou Anders and congratulations on Argosy and all confederates to the issue. Forgive my bad english but I salute from Bosnia. I would ask of your pride and pomp (much deserved) if you might mention any fortitude on your part regarding future issues. Perhaps in authors you would include, and perhaps in any fat statement regarding philosophical direction of Argosy.
Good luck with that projects.

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:28 am:   

Thank you.
Some answers to questions.
Issue One of Argosy won't be on sale in wide release until Dec 15th. Issue Two is slated to appear Feb 15th. Some of its contents include fiction by Jeff Vandermeer, Mike Resnick and Carol Emshwiller, a novella by Charles Stross & Cory Doctorow, artwork by John Picacio, and an interview with Neal Pollack. As for a philosophical direction - to publish quality fiction and nonfiction regardless of genre category. How's that?

Lou Anders
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:16 pm:   

Just a quick notice to let everyone know that subscriber and single order copies for the first issue are beginning to ship out today and will continue to ship out monday. So start looking for those issues in the mail next week!

Srebren
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 02:05 am:   

Greetings again from the Bosnia. Thanks much for your quickish response. Though I would to this add the haunting rejoinder: what of your pomp and pride in that projeckts? Do you feel as it were in the full flush of yourself? Or more cautious in your splendid accomplishments?

Lou Anders
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:41 am:   

Thanks for the support, Srebren. We're
working hard to produce the best magazine we can over here. We hope that readers like yourself continue to enjoy what we do.

Lou Anders
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 02:42 pm:   

A special announcement for those of you awaiting copies of Argosy # 1:
All orders received through 12/22 will have gone out by the end of today - and to show our appreciation for our subscribers' patience, and thank our early supporters, we're enclosing a complimentary copy of International Studio with every order. For subscribers whose copies have already shipped, we'll be sending a copy of International Studio under seperate cover. And we'll ship a free International Studio with every future order recieved, through January 15, 2004. Just a little holiday present and a sincere "thank you" from Argosy and Coppervale.
Happy Holidays.

Andrew Nicolle
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 07:00 am:   

Lou,

I placed an order for the first issue of Argosy on November 3rd, but I'm yet to receive it. I thought this would've gone out during the early December mailing, but I guess it didn't. Is there an email address for ordering queries?
btw this was for a domestic US order placed via Paypal.

Looking forward to the first issue - it looks like a top-notch publication!

Lou Anders
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 08:55 am:   

Andrew,
We were a week late sending them out.
But all orders made through paypal went out last week. You should get yours any day now!
And yes, there is an email - you can write to subscriptions@argosymag.com if you have questions in the future .
Thanks for the support. Please feel free to come back here and post your thoughts on the issue when you get it.

barry baldwin
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:40 pm:   

In an age when print magazines keep going electronic before disappearing, it is heartening to have Lou Anders, James Owen, & the Coppervale Press confidently launch a new Argosy. Not, as they say, just the old ones disinterred, but not without links to the old Argosys, which I used to read decades ago, not dreaming I'd ever be in it. George Pratt's rather haunting photographs do in a way evoke the former Argosy eras. The Owl Woman cover makes it easy to see why Leo & Diane Dillon have won so many awards. The editors complement each other neatly, with Anders' coruscating wit and Owens' suave prose. Even one of the ads earns my approval: I don't yearn for a Lexus, but thanks to Santa popping a tin in my Xmas stocking, I have become an Altoids addict. Of the stories, I will space-savingly say that Jeffrey Ford's and Emily Raboteau's were perhaps my favourites - wonder how Robert Louis Stevenson would have reacted to the latter's piratical yarn? Interviews don't always add up to much, as anyone who has watched David frost can attest, but Adam Roberts draws a lot of interesting thoughts on writing out of Samuel Delany, plus contributing some himself. Of my own VE Knights, it is not for me to say, except that it both relives some childhood memories and re-relives them through sexagenarian eyes. Memories of the Blitz bring me to Michael Moorcock, whose 'slip-cased' novella must be the biggest readers' bonus in magazine publishing history. MM, of course, belongs to that select group who Need No Introduction. His 'Texas Twister' among the usual MM mix of ingredients contains a good number of rib-tickling to thigh-slapping jokes, especially though not exclusively for Bush-haters. Everyone will beat the maritime metaphor to death, so I shall do likewise and say God (or whatever) Bless this Argosy and all who sail in her and with her, from one who hopes to be on board again and who meantime will be on the postal quayside panting for each new arrival.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 05:54 pm:   

This is a bit late, but I'm really enjoying the first issue so far. Caitlin Kiernan's story was outstanding, and I'm enjoying the interview with Samuel Delany. The layout is very attractive as well. Great work, all around.

Lou Anders
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 03:05 pm:   

Not late at all, Mahesh!
But much appreciated!!

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:16 pm:   

No problem, Lou. :-) I just finished "A Night in the Tropics", and it was also excellent.

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 06:54 am:   

No surprise there. I don't think Jeff Ford could write a bad story if he tried!
Glad you enjoyed it.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   

Y'know, that story was my first experience of Jeffrey Ford's fiction, and I'm looking forward to reading more of his stuff.

Any plans for more of Caitlin Kiernan's work in the future?

Lou Anders
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:19 pm:   

If you don't know Jeff's stuff, I highly recommend you pick up the collection, THE FANTASY WRITER'S ASSISTANT, from Golden Gryphon. Meanwhile, you'll be happy to hear that we're talking to Caitlin about a novella for later in the year.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:01 pm:   

Thanks for the recommendation, Lou; I remember that collection got a lot of nice notices. I was also planning on picking up 'The Physiogamy', which looked pretty cool.

That's great news about her novella!

Lou Anders
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 07:01 am:   

I haven't read "The Physiogamy" yet, though I find the premise fascinating and its in the stack! But I can't recommend the short story collecion highly enough. Meanwhile, I'd love to know who else you (and other readers) would like to see in our pages.

laird barron
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 08:27 pm:   

Dear Lou,

A great issue. Riding the White Bull was worth the price of admission. Here's hoping you are successful in securing more of her work.

Best regards,
Laird

Lou Anders
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 03:27 pm:   

Laird,
you will be pleased to know that Caitlin and I are talking about having her write a novella for later this year!
Now, who to have illustrate it?

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 09:28 pm:   

"Now, who to have illustrate it?"

John Picacio or John Coulthart? :-) Those off the top of my head.

As for writers, I think it'd be cool if Jonathan Lethem had a story in the pages of Argosy.

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 03:43 pm:   

Congratulations to Benjamin Rosenbaum, whose tale in our first issue has just been selected for inclusion in The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
Edited by Ellen Datlow and Kelly Link & Gavin Grant

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:22 am:   

Congrats to Mr. Rosenbaum! That was indeed an excellent story.

Lou Anders
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 06:38 am:   

Oddly, I think Kelly and Gavin are considering the issue "2003" based on when it actually appeared, while Ellen is going with our cover date of Jan/Feb for her end of it, so maybe we can get some more stories from this issue in NEXT year's Years Best.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |