Live Without a Net Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Anders, Lou » Live Without a Net « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lou Anders
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 02:27 pm:   

I'm happy to announce that the mass-market paperback edition of LIVE WITHOUT A NET was released this month. The anthology has done quite well. Here is a round up of critical praise for the book:

“The year's best original SF anthology...first-rate and highly inventive." Gardner Dozois, Locus

“One of the best SF anthologies in a strong year for anthologies." David G. Hartwell, Year’s Best SF 9

“Wildly imaginative, thoughtful, and thought-provoking looks at a subject that is nearly unthinkable: a future free from the Internet.” – Cory Doctorow, Boing Boing

“For those like me who think cyberpunk is SO last millennium, here’s a terrific, thought-provoking, widely varied anthology of stories giving alternative visions of our online future. Live Without a Net contains nothing but first-rate fiction, from giants like Stephen Baxter, and from those who deserve to be giants like John Meaney; it’s a Dangerous Visions for the digital age.” – Robert J. Sawyer, Nebula Award-winning author of Hominids

“I have little doubt that Live Without a Net will go down as one of the great ones. The cover quote from Robert Sawyer likens it to the famous anthology Dangerous Visions, and I agree. Every story is worth your time, and even the ones you may not think of as great are certainly better than good … If you want to learn to write, here’s the textbook. The stories are challenging, imaginative, and downright fun. None of them let you down.” – Stuart Jaffe, Infinity Plus

“Editor Lou Anders’ Live Without a Net not only boasts an impressive lineup of genre talent, but has a central idea broad enough to serve more as a guiding principle than a straight-jacket. The anthology challenges its authors to imagine science fictional scenarios where there is no cybertechnology, and to dream up strange new alternatives. It’s an intriguing theme, and the result is a colorful anthology full of interesting original work, some of it excellent … In summary, Live Without a Net delivers the goods. It’s at once thought-provoking, very innovative, and—easily lost in all the analysis, but perhaps its most important strength—it provides good, enjoyable, smooth reading throughout.”
– Christopher East, Tangent Online

“Live Without a Net is an extremely strong collection, and one of its most conspicuous features is the uniformly high quality of its prose. Mainstream SF being notoriously indifferent to matters of style, Anders is to be congratulated on assembling a collection of stories that are not only vividly imagined, but also extremely well-written. About half the work collected here is excellent, and of the remainder, the worst you can say is that it’s merely good…Live Without a Net is a fine collection and well worth the attention of anyone looking for high quality, state-of-the-art SF.” – Jeff Topham, Revolution SF

“Live Without a Net, edited by Lou Anders, is a pure quill science fiction anthology (with, to be sure, a story or two that is borderline fantasy). The theme is a world without the Internet, usually with some alternative replacing it. So many theme anthologies are full of stories that seem tired and made to order, rather than inspired, but this book avoids that pitfall.” – Rich Horton, Locus

“From Chris Roberson’s tale of an alternate China in which the Chief Computator pits his skills with an abacus against a foreigner’s new invention, the Analytical Engine, to Rudy Rucker’s freewheeling story of a world without machines, the 18 stories in this collection revolve around a future without the Internet, virtual reality, or cyberspace. Contributions by Stephen Baxter, David Brin, S.M. Stirling, and other notable SF authors make this a good addition to SF or short story collections in large libraries.” -- Library Journal

“Live Without a Net demonstrates just how creatively galvanizing a well-conceived anthology theme can be. Anders asked his writers, a formidable line-up, to imagine futures, or time-lines, void of information technology as we understand it; to throw out the conceptual apparatus of cyberpunk, and fill the vacuum as originally as possible. The contributors, some mourning the death or non-existence of an electronically connected global society, others perhaps reveling in it, have all turned up striking alternatives, making Live a feast of innovation, a garden where many, if not a thousand, non-Gibsonian flowers may bloom … At the very least, Live Without a Net is likely to stand as the most original original anthology of the year.” – Nick Gevers, Locus

Chris Roberson
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 07:25 pm:   

Wow, that sounds pretty good. I may have to pick up a copy.

Paul Melko
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:55 am:   

I don't know. Never heard of any of those people quoted up there. Probably just Lou's relatives and grade school teachers. I mean "Gardner Dozois" can't be a real name.

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 07:39 am:   

Dozois is a complex anagram of my secret "second" middle name, derived when you replace every letter with the one which precedes it alphabetically and reverse one of the characters while turning an adjacent character upside down. Hint: The answer isn't a palindrome.

Lou Anders
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:44 am:   

I'm very happy to report that Chris Roberson's "O One" from LIVE WITHOUT A NET has been nominated for a World Fantasy Award. Congratulations, Chris.

Paul Melko
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:00 am:   

Hey, wait! That story was science fiction! :-)

Well done, Chris.

Lou Anders
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:01 am:   

Shhh, Paul. Don't let on!

Jacque McNeill
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 12:37 pm:   

Can anyone help me find information on the cover artist of Live without a net... John Picacio, I am writing an extended essay on his work for my art degree....I need help!!

John Picacio
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 01:25 pm:   

Hey, Jacque --

Weird timing. I was out-of-town this weekend and just drifted by the board and saw something on Lou's board here and checked it. Wouldn't have guessed that someone was looking for me.

Email me at:

john@johnpicacio.com

Maybe if schedules align, we can have a quick chat on the phone sometime today and get things ironed out for you. This'll be a busy week for me, so today might be the best day to do this, if it helps you.

Best of luck,
John

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register