HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Question: Original Anthologies for 2007?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » Question: Original Anthologies for 2007? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
New Space OperaSolomon Gursky03-22-07  09:19 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean Wallace
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   

What can we expect, for original anthologies, in 2007? I'm aware of:

Berman, Steve. So Fey. Haworth.
Dann, Jack, and Dozois, Gardner. Wizards, Berkeley.
Datlow, Ellen, and Windling, Terri. The Coyote Road,
Goss, Theodora, and Sherman, Delia. Interfictions, Small Beer Press.
Layne, Deborah, and Lake, Jay. Polyphony. Wheatland Press.
Strahan, Jonathan. untitled, Night Shade.
Wallace, Sean. Japanese Dreams, Prime Books.
Wallace, Sean, and Tremblay, Paul. Fantasy, Prime Books.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 03:52 pm:   

My issue of Subterranean Magazine, with 60,000 words, could be considered an anthology. In fact, one person in it, does so.

Inferno, edited by me for Tor.

What's "Fantasy," Sean?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 03:54 pm:   

Also,
Thrillers 2 ed. Bob Morrish CD
Midnight Premiere ed. Tom Piccirilli both CD

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   

Jeff Vandermeer has some original anthos too, doesn't he?

Sean Wallace
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 04:31 am:   

Fantasy is the sampler anthology, about forty-two thousand words worth, designed to go into chains and attract people to the magazine. Authors include Becca De La Rosa, Amanda Downum, Samantha Henderson, Maura McHugh, Lisa Mantchev, Sarah Monette, Holly Phillips, Cat Rambo, Margaret Ronald, Ekaterina Sedia, and Jeremiah Tolbert. It's pretty dark, in some places.

Sean Wallace
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 04:48 am:   

I don't think Jeff has anything original coming out this year . . .

Sean Wallace
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   

I forgot:

Sedia, Ekaterina. Moonlight Domes. (looking for publisher)

Jeff VanderMeer
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   

My wife Ann is doing the reprints from SW.

Pirate antho is probably spring 2008, but it hasn't been set so don't quote me on that.

I'm also doing Last Drink Bird Head.

JeffV

Jeff VanderMeer
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   

How many of the ones Sean listed were open to unsolicited submissions?

JeffV

Sean Wallace
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   

Mine were all private solications, with a few exceptions, mostly material coming from either the Clarkesworld or Fantasy slush piles.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 01:12 pm:   

Everything I do is by solicitation and word of mouth.

Jeff VanderMeer
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 01:28 pm:   

I'm totally against closed anthologies, except in cases where (1) the editor has slushpiles to draw on or (2) the theme is so specific that asking writers to write to it and then be rejected means they have no other way to place the story.

JeffV

Dflewis
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 01:49 pm:   

Nemonymous Seven I intend to be a book anthology of original stories (May 2007)

Gary Couzens
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 03:28 pm:   

Two from the UK...

PAGING MR HITCHCOCK ed. Gary Fry & Gary McMahon (Grey Friar Press) - closes for submissions on 15 March and is due out in the summer.

Going by their website, Elastic Press will be announcing a new anthology at some point - this may be a 2008 publication though. As I'm not the editor this time, I know no more than this at the moment.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 07:27 pm:   

i believe there'll be two out from ticonderoga press in aus: FANTASTIC STORIES and THE WORKERS PARADISE, both edited by russell farr (though the second is edited with nick evens, i believe).

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 06:02 pm:   

Jeff,
I just don't have time to read what would come in, if I completely opened my anthologies...judging from what I got for OMNI and SCIFICTION I couldn't keep up. I have enough contacts and excellent writers I already work with in sf/f/h and in the mainstream to fill dozens of anthologies. I go after the writers I think might bring something interesting to a specific antho. Both newer writers and established ones. I don't feel anyone is missing out. In every original antho I've edited I believe that at least a few of the contributors are those I've never published before. I have always had a very wide reach and pretty eclectic taste.

Jeff VanderMeer
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 07:04 pm:   

Ellen:

I really think the field suffers when there are too many closed anthologies. And I think, ultimately, editors find themselves in decaying orbits no matter how they may persuade themselves otherwise. You work with the same people too often and you get same-old same-old after awhile. Doesn't matter how talented you are as an editor.

You personally certainly have nothing to prove, but it's a general statement that I think is true. (And, of course, you had access to tons of slush through SciFiction that helped you in creating the anthos as well.)

It's not like this is a life-and-death type discussion. It's just the way I feel and I'm putting my money where my mouth is by trying to make as many original anthos I edit as possible have at least a limited open reading period. We've already found very interesting writers for the pirate antho we wouldn't have encountered without the reading period. More importantly, writers we would not necessarily have thought right for this anthology have submitted very interesting work.

Anyway, my post to my blog isn't really about this sub-topic. It's about editing anthologies generally. I'll post the link when it's up.

JeffV

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   

Jeff,
All power to you! If I had a few clones I might consider it. :-)

I think some anthologies might suffer from using the same stable of writers all the time. But the field? Not necessarily.

Of course, in my 17-odd years of reading slush or having a reader pass me the best of the OMNI slush I found a lot of new writers (some of whose second or third stories I published --extremely rarely their first). And same with the six years of SCI FICTION.

So say 23 years of having slush piles has given me hundreds of writers to solicit for stories.

And I'm also introduced to new writers all the time through teaching Clarion West every six or so years and having taught Clarion South.

I personally just don't feel a lack of variety by not announcing on ralan.com when I'm working on an anthology.
There were four writers in Salon Fantastique who I'd never published before.
And there are four writers I've never published before in Inferno my forthcoming horror anthology.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 07:48 pm:   

I look forward to the article in your blog.

Dflewis
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:11 am:   

Has anyone in this world (other than me) considered assessing anonymous submissions, a system which is, I suppose, one stage further than 'unclosed'? I think Jetse at Interzone has done this to some extent, too.

Gary Couzens
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:24 am:   

Yes, I did for the Extended Play anthology, Des. I ended up with some familiar names, but I also accepted one person's first sale.

Ahmed A. Khan
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   

The anthology, "Fall and Rise", edited by yours truly, and coming out from Whortleberry Press late this month or early next, has more than 60% original content.

The anthology has 13 stories, 8 of which are original. Details can be found at http://ahmedakhan.journalspace.com.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 02:07 am:   

I've got The New Space Opera coming out from Harper in June, and Universe coming in October. I know Ellen's got The Coyote Road, Inferno and maybe another one. There's also Dora Goss's interstitial antho for Small Beer. And I'm sure there are more.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 02:10 am:   

Jeff: I think I understand why you'd be opposed to close anthologies, and I can respect the position. Often times, though, I find that there's little choice. Deadlines, budgets, and time make it very hard these days to justify open submission periods. We kept The New Space Opera closed, and the first Universe is closed. However, the only reason Universe is closed is because of time. I'll almost certainly open Universe 2 later in the year, and if there's ever another Eidolon, it'd be open.

PM
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 07:05 am:   

Lack of time impacts us in different ways. For me this results in choosing to read a few (genre) authors. Ellen, for example, usually has a story by one or more of these authors and that creates a sale. Someone else might see the same name(s) and react differently (oh it's more of the same).

steveberman
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:19 pm:   

I just discovered - to my shock - that So Fey was mentioned here. The book was open to all submissions. It actually has 3 reprints, (a Marks, a Monette, and a Sherman) but the rest are new. Holly Black's story made me cry.

Sean Wallace
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 06:00 pm:   

Why shocked? :-)

steveberman
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 06:05 pm:   

SHocked to be among such august company. I'm just a bumpkin from the Jersey uburbs.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |