Anthology Announcement - Science Fict... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » Anthology Announcement - Science Fiction: The Best of 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:49 am:   

I've just heard that it's official. I will be co-editing SCIENCE FICTION: THE BEST OF 2003 with Karen Haber for ibooks. That's two anthos due before the end of the year! Detials on sending stuff below (with acknowledgement to Ellen, who's announcement I plagiarised).

This is pretty cool. I'm going to have two books out next year!

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:51 am:   

May 2003

I will be co-editing SCIENCE FICTION: THE BEST OF 2003 (ibooks) with Karen Haber. This is the third in the series, which first appeared in 2001, though the first to be co-edited by me.

I am looking for stories from all branches of science fiction: space opera, military sf, hard sf, theoretical stuff, just about anything that however loosely meets the definition of 'science fiction'. If in doubt, send it. This is a reprint anthology so I am only reading material published in or about to be published during the year 2003. Submission deadline for stories is 1 October 2003. Anything sent after this deadline will reach me too late. If a magazine you edit will be coming out by December 31st 2003 you can send me galleys or manuscripts so that I can judge the stories in time. Email submissions aren't encouraged, but if timing is tight email me to check.

When sending me material please put YEAR'S BEST SF on the envelope.

Jonathan Strahan
PO Box 544,
Mt Lawley
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIA 6050

or
c/WorkSafe
5th Floor, 1260 Hay Street,
West Perth
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIA 6006

****Please do not send a SASE. If I choose a story you will be informed. If you want to confirm that I've received something, enclose a self-addressed-stamped postcard and I will let you know the date it arrived. For stories that appear on the web, please send me (or have the publisher send me) print-outs of your story.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:51 am:   

oh...and another announcement seems imminent <g>

Ellen
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 09:14 am:   

Hey Jonathan,
Lotsa luck! I know you're already reading a lot of short fiction anyway so perhaps you won't find it a morass of material to wade through <g>.

I've been sending Karen SCIFICTION stuff regularly (printouts)--do you need them or can you read the stories online?

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 09:21 am:   

First of all, thank you for the congrats. Getting the chance to do a book like this has been a long time dream, so I hope I don't stuff it up (though I'm sure Karen's steady hand will stop me screwing up too badly). As to the morass, bring it on! <g>

I should add I'm happy to read stories online. In fact, for online stories, an editor just needs to email me that the story has been posted. If it's a long piece, perhaps emailing a single file would help. I'm a little reluctant to post my email address because of spam, but if someone wants to contact me at jstrahan(at)iinet.net.au that would be swell.

Jonathan

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:14 am:   

Hi all

I figure we all have the right to sound dumb every now and again, so...as I've announced here, I'm co-editing a 'Year's Best SF' volume and I'm looking for a great new SF story with some spaceships in it, doing spaceship stuff. I don't know why, but I have this feeling that a 'Year's Best SF' should have some spaceships in it, and I'm looking. Any recommendations would be very gratefully received.

Best
Jonathan

Claude Lalumičre
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 07:08 am:   

Jonathan:
Congratulations for getting this gig!

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:29 am:   

Jonathan:
I have a recently published story that actually does have a spaceship in it doing spaceship things. I'll send it along. Am I right in assuming that a photocopy of the story as published will be okay, or do you need the magazine for some reason? I have a couple of science fiction stories coming out in anthologies as well, and it's obviously easier (and cheaper) to mail photocopies of the stories than the whole book. (Though perhaps I could convince the editors to send you copies of the whole books, so that you could look at all the stories. I'm willing to try.)
Nancy Jane Moore

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 04:24 pm:   

Nancy

Thanks for getting in touch. A copy of the ms, or even an emailed copy would be swell. My home email is jstrahan (at) iinet.net.au.

Best
Jonathan

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 06:26 pm:   

Thanks very much. I'll get something off to you this week.
Nancy

M. Bishop
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 06:20 am:   

Would you look at an e-mailed version of a story of mine, which has no spaceships in it at all, and which may qualify as science fiction only if your definition of the genre is quite broad? It first appeared in The Silver Gryphon, and it's called "The Door Gunner." Thanks.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 08:41 am:   

Ahh, Jonathan, I could have emailed you?!

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:12 pm:   

Hi all

In what I guess is good news, you can now pre-order Science Fiction: The Best of 2003 over at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/074347919X/qid=1064468826/sr=1-3/r ef=sr_1_3/103-9642043-6951855?v=glance&s=books).

I'd expected this to be a moment of great joy and celebration, but it's kinda odd because (and this is probably an error that will be corrected), they seem to have left my name off the cover of the book. It's small and petty to notice these things and feel slighted, but...I kinda do. Still, you should check it out anyway.

Best
Jonathan

PS: None of the writers listed on the cover are in the book either.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:22 am:   

Depsite the erroneous name-dropping, nice package.

Best of luck with this, Jonathan. I miss the days when I used to help put together the YB Fantasy & Horror . . . It's extremely labor intensive but very rewarding.

Bob
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 04:32 am:   

Good Lord, Jonathan! Is that going to be fixed?!
I'm working on editing my first book and, at first, because of the tremendous lineup of people who are also working with me, I didn't figure on insisting upon any credit. That's before I knew just how much work is entailed in compiling and editing an anthology...I want due credit, thank you very much.
Best of luck with this, and may there be many more years of it as well!

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:01 am:   

Hey Jim

Thanks for the best wishes. I've been in touch with the powers-that-be and, as I suspected once I'd calmed down a little, the cover on amazon is one sent out early for catalogues etc. The final book will be corrected.

I agree with you, too. The book is a lot of work - basically I got the go-ahead to work on it in early May and it has to be delivered at the end of October. It's a lot of reading, a lot of back-and-forthing with my co-editor, a lot of working out what will and won't fit, and it's not really much money. But, pfeh, who cares? It's just the coolest thing to do. I love it, and if they let me, I'll be doing it for years.

I should add, we've pretty much got the final table of contents, barring stragglers we're currently waiting on, and it should be a cool book. Some very good stories out there, and I think they make for a good, varied book. Can't wait to see how it all gets received next year.

And, of course, I'll get to spend time in Washington trying to make sure I get to see stuff for '04. Time, in the year's best biz, waits for no-one.

Best
J

Jonathan
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:05 am:   

Hi Bob

Yeah, it is going to be fixed. This is the third anthology I've worked on - with probably three more in the pipeline - and it's the first time this has happened. The problem is a by-product of working on a crazy schedule, and these things will happen under those circumstances.

I'll add good luck with your antho. I love doing it, and it's great to see others getting their books out there too. On that note, another quick plug for Ellen's THE DARK. The best horror/dark stuff original antho I've seen in a long time. You gotta get it.

Jonathan

Jonathan
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:15 am:   

Mike -

I don't know how I overlooked your posting here about "The Door Gunner" - a glitch at my end for which I apologise. I read the story a couple months back when it was first published in THE SILVER GRYPHON, and loved it. It's a wonderful story, that I'm happy to consider.

It's odd timing, though, that I should notice your posting here when I did. A friend of mine just posted me a copy of the January 1976 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. It's got this nice matte finish, a funky Walotsky cover, a photo of you on the back looking pretty happy, and contains a copy of "The Samurai and the Willows". It was one of the few Locus Award winning stories I'd managed to miss reading over the past years, and I really wanted to see it. It's a fine novella, and doesn't seem to have dated at all, even allowing for the quarter century that's passed since its publication, and I thought the ending was lovely, note-perfect.

Best
Jonathan

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:17 am:   

And a quick thank you to everyone who recommended some spaceship stories. Despite my fears, a welcome bunch materialised and at least three of the final fourteen stories in the book will be 'spaceship' stories. We even got a robot. No rayguns though, which means we miss out on the SF trifecta, but maybe next year.

Best
J

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:19 am:   

Does all this good news mean you're not still looking at other stories? I had a couple more I was going to send you (one with spaceship, one without), ones that just came out in September, but if you're not really still looking I won't add to your workload.
Nancy

M. Bishop
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:05 am:   

Glad to know you've seen "The Door Gunner" and also, albeit a number of years after its first publication in F&SF, "The Samurai and the Willows." In any event, thanks for the reply. If I'd had my wits about me, I would have contacted you directly, early on. And I, too, hope that you can get your name on the cover of the finished book, where it does in fact belong.

Yours,
Mike

ellen
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:55 pm:   

So Jonathan,
Are you going to let us know the full TOC??

Thank you so much for The Dark plug.
I just got my first copy of the finished book and it looks beautiful.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:25 pm:   

Hey Ellen -

I definitely will post the ToC here, but I'm going wait till we've contracted the stories. As far as I'm aware, we've only contracted three of the final fourteen stories, and I think the authors in question shouldn't hear here first. But, soon, I promise,

Best
J

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:53 pm:   

I should add - we haven't finished reading yet. We'll be reading for another two or three weeks, and then finalising the book. So, anything I see in the next few weeks will be considered for the book.

J

ellen
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:16 pm:   

Jonathan,
Do you have everything you need from SCIFICTION (other than the three stories I haven't yet bought for November)?

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:23 pm:   

Ellen:

I do have everything, except for the three stories you haven't bought yet. If it's possible to see them in time, that would be wonderful, but it'll depend on how things play out. I've certainly been impressed with the quality and variety of stuff you've published this year.

J

ellen
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:12 am:   

Well, since I need to buy something really soon I hope I'll be able to get them to you.

Uh, better get back to my mss pile (in between the YBFH piles).

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 06:03 pm:   

Well, I realised I promised a while ago to post the final ToC for Science Fiction: Best of 2003, but I never quite got around to it. So, here it is:

The Fluted Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi
A Study in Emerald, Neil Gaiman
Flowers from Alice, Cory Doctorow & Charles Stross
The Tale of the Golden Eagle, David D. Levine
Bernardo's House, James Patrick Kelly
Confusions of Uņi, Ursula K. Le Guin
Jon, George Saunders
The Cookie Monster, Vernor Vinge
Legions in Time, Michael Swanwick
The Chop Line, Stephen Baxter
Calling Your Name, Howard Waldrop
The Empire of Ice Cream, Jeffrey Ford
Bumpship, Susan Mosser
Only Partly Here, Lucius Shepard

The book was supposed to be a tad longer and contain another story, individual story notes and a recommended reading list. Unfortunately, because of length requirements, that stuff had to be dropped, but I'm still very pleased with the book itself. It's due in stores fairly soon, so I hope you'll all check it out when the time comes. I'd also like to thank all of the authors for being involved. It was fun.

I'd also add that I thought it was a very good year for short fiction. There were some excellent stories published, and Asimov's, F&SF and SciFiction particularly, all published some great stuff.

ellen
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:46 pm:   

Thanks, Jonathan.

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 03:45 pm:   

I just got word that the e-book edition of SCIENCE FICTION: BEST OF 2003 is now available and is the #1 bestseller on the Palm Digital site, which seems pretty cool. Don't know if that means that we sold three copies, as opposed to everyone else's two copies, or if millions in royalties are going to come our way. I'm kinda hoping for the latter, while expecting the former. Either way, it's out. The print book will be out in about eight weeks.

J

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:18 pm:   

Jonathan, very nice. The best seller status could be anywhere from 300 to 1,000 copies, but very nice indeed.

Ellen
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 08:39 pm:   

# 1 is good whatever it means !
Congratulations, Jonathan.

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 03:43 pm:   

Well, I just got my copies of Science Fiction: Best of 2003 in the mail yesterday, and they are second printings! Don't know how big a first printing they did, but it's promising when the book has been gone back to press within a month of its first publication.

ellen
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:32 pm:   

That's very good.

Is trade pb or mass market?

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 04:30 am:   

Is mass market. I've got a rough idea of what the previous volumes sold, so I'll be very interested to see how this one compares.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:35 am:   

Did Author's copies go out yet, Jonathan? If so, they missed me....

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:05 am:   

I honestly don't know, Lucius. But, I've dropped an email to both Tekno and ibooks and will let you know. Also, I've got a few copies, so if they fall through, I will send you some.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:59 am:   

Thanks, Jonathan. Appreciate it.

David D. Levine
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 02:51 pm:   

I haven't received my copy yet either, but I talked with Karen at the Nebulas and she said there'd been some kind of snafu. They are coming, though, she promised.

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:59 pm:   

Hey David - I should have posted here, for which my apologies. After corresponding with Lucius, Karen and I checked into it, and copies are now heading from ibooks to Tekno, and on to contributors, for which many apologies. From what I understand, the delay was because of running out of copies of the first printings. Oh, and I liked your new story in Realms of Fantasy.

Best
J

PS: Congrats on the nomination!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration