The Jack Vance Treasury Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » The Jack Vance Treasury « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 04:30 pm:   

Hi all,

I am currently co-editing THE JACK VANCE TREASURY with Terry Dowling for Subterranean Press. The book, which has just been announced, is a 175,000 word career retrospective that will gather together what we both hope will be a definitive selection of Vance's short fiction.

Our intention is to assemble a book that will be a single volume argument for why he is an important and fascinating writer, the book that will always be the first stop for new Vance readers in years to come.

I am blogging about it here (
http://www.jonathanstrahan.com.au/wp/category/the-jack-vance-treasury/), but I wanted to let everyone on the NS Boards know the book is coming, encourage you to post your comments here or on my blog, and to let you know that we want your input. If you love Vance's work, please let us know what you think should go in the book and what shouldn't. Your comments will affect the final book, and will be enormously appreciated

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   

So, we're done! Terry Dowling and I delivered electronic manuscript - all 230,000 words of it - to Bill Schafer at Subterranean Press today. I think it's a terrific book, with great stories, a lovely jacket by Tom Kidd, and a great intro by George Martin. I'll post some more info here as it becomes available.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 04:32 am:   

A quick follow-on. You can see the gorgeous Tom Kidd cover art for this over at the SubPRess website. We're pushing hard, and hope to have galleys out in time for WorldCon.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 04:51 am:   

Sounds cool... Subterranean produce beautiful books and Jack deserves the best. Any chance you could reveal the TOC?

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 07:28 am:   

Pardon me for butting in...from Jonathan's blog:

Preface, Jack Vance
Jack Vance: An Appreciation, George R.R. Martin
Introduction: Fruit from the Tree of Life
The Dragon Masters
Liane the Wayfarer
Sail 25
The Gift of Gab
The Miracle Workers
Guyal of Sfere
Noise
The Kokod Warriors
The Overworld
The Men Return
The Sorcerer Pharesm
The New Prime
The Secret
The Moon Moth
The Bagful of Dreams
The Mitr
Morreion
The Last Castle
Biographical Sketch & Other Facts, Jack Vance

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration