The worth of a book Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » The worth of a book « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 05:10 pm:   

If you have a spare $US225 sitting in your bank account and don't have any particular use for it, you could write a check, pop it in an envelope and send it off to Centipede Press to get a copy of their latest title, Two-Handed Engine.

For those of you who haven't stumbled across it, Two-Handed Engine is a 928-page collection of the short fiction of Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore, in a deluxe hardcover limited edition (of either 200 or 300 copies, the website is unclear) with a stunning cover by the late Richard Powers. You can find more detailed information about here (http://www.centipedepress.com/kuttner.html).

I have to confess to being unsure what I think of this book. On one hand I rather hunger for it. It looks neat, and I'd love to have all of those stories in a single, wonderful volume, though it is very expensive. On the other, I'm a little disappointed by it. Why? Well, Kuttner and Moore are wonderful writers. Their work deserves not only to be preserved, but also to be given a wider audience; to make its way boldly into libraries and bookshops, so that it can achieve the only meaningful kind of preservation that a book can have, preservation in the minds of readers. A project like this one always seems to me to be very self-limiting. Only 200 (or 300) readers can ever have this book, and only if they're very passionate about getting it (given the price). There is nothing wrong with that, I guess. But, it feels like a chance missed. I imagine the copies of Two-Handed Engine will sell quickly. I hope so. I also hope that someone out there considers buying the trade hardcover or trade paperback rights so that everyone else can have a chance to see these stories, and Kuttner and Moore get that chance of being read. Otherwise, it all seems rather pointless to me.

Bill Schafer
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:53 pm:   

I've got a copy, and it's an impressive production, though a bit too large to be read comfortably for more than a story's worth of time.

Bill Schafer

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 09:24 pm:   

I don't know what you think about these things Bill, but I wonder about it when the books can only have such a tiny, dedicated readership. I'm sure it's an impressive production, but is it a good project?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration