Anthology Announcement: The New Space... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » Anthology Announcement: The New Space Opera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 04:49 pm:   

I'm delighted to be able to announce that Gardner Dozois and I have sold an new original anthology, THE NEW SPACE OPERA, to HarperCollins US and HarperCollins Australia. The book is supposed to be BIG and we've got all sorts of way cool writers, from M. John Harrison to Dan Simmons, Greg Egan to Charlie Stross on board to write for it. I'm really excited about this book. I started playing with the idea for doing it back in the mid-90s and now it's finally going to happen. I'm particularly happy about being able to do the book with Gardner. I've been a fan of his fiction since reading "Dinner Party" in Mike Bishop's Light Years and Dark, and his editing since the first Year's Best. It's privilege to do a project with him.

Anyhow, enough of my gushing. If all goes to plan the book should be out in early 2007. We have all of the contributors lined up and it should be a joy to do. Can't wait to see the first stories...

Jonathan

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 05:44 am:   

Wow! Space opera is a guilty pleasure of mine. This sounds great. When can we hope to see a list of all the contributors? Is Al Reynolds involved in this?

Wait, 2007?!!? <groan> :-)

JK

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 02:55 pm:   

Congratulations! This is a book I greatly anticipate reading.

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 04:55 pm:   

Thanks John and Lou for the kind words. I think it's going to be totally cool. We have a list of twenty writers who have agreed to contribute (and Reynolds is amongst them), but we're a long, long way from have some kind of ToC. Soon as I do, though, I'll post it here. As I posted somewhere else recently, I've just come off editing or co-editing six reprint anthologies in the last year or so, and I'm really excited to be doing an original book again. It should be totally cool.

Martin
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 02:01 am:   

It would be nice if Banks contributed since he was so important to the New Space Opera but I guess that's pretty unlikely given the fact he doesn't like writing shorts.

Jonathan
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 06:00 am:   

Hey Martin - We did correspdond with Iain, and he was as nice and gracious about it as you could hope, but he said the overwhelming problem was that he hadn't written a short story since 1987 and didn't seem likely to be. Hard to argue with really, but it would have been wonderful to have him in the book.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration