Great 2004 Science Fiction Stories Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » Great 2004 Science Fiction Stories « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:24 pm:   

Hi all - I'm in a headlong rush, reading towards the end of the year. I'm already finished with the Oct/Nov double issues from Asimov's and F&SF, and am sifting through anthologies, collections and all sorts of interesting stuff. Given that now through to WorldCon* is one of my biggest reading periods for the year's best SF, I thought I'd start a topic asking for recommendations of 2004 science fiction stories I should be sure to check out. I'm reading all of the majors, most of the anthos, collections and zines, and all of the online stuff I can find. However, I can always miss stuff, and I'd really like to hear people's recommendations. Was there something you really loved or that really exceeded your expectations? If so, let me know. - Jonathan

* As previously announced, I will be reading through till October, but now's a good time for recommendations

EDatlow
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 06:38 pm:   

Sheesh. I've barely started.

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 07:09 pm:   

Heh heh. I've actually written some story notes. Of course, they want the books in October, so that does make a difference. Also, I have the advantage of not having to do a whopping great big intro. That just looks like a lotta work.

On stuff I've liked so far: I've really liked some of the SciFiction offerings for the year, particularly the stories by Christopher Rowe (spectacular!), Daniel Abraham and John Kessel.

Lou Anders
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 08:49 pm:   

Hey Jonathan,
Did you get a copy of Argosy 2?
The Charles & Cory collaboration might be of interest for either your Year's Best or the SFBC Best novellas anthology.

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 10:03 pm:   

Hey Lou - I have't actually seen a copy, no. But, it's cool. Charlie emailed me a copy of the story, so I've had a chance to check it out. Also saw the way cool VanderMeer story you ran. Looks to have been a good issue. Hope everything's running smoothly at PYR. A mutual friend said things were going gangbusters, which is great. - J

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 06:14 am:   

Jonathan did I get copies of Electric Velocipede to you? If not, I can send you PDFs to get them to you quickly. Or will you be at Worldcon? We could meet up there (note to self, plant in one place at Worldcon with huge sign so everyone can find you...)

JK

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 07:22 am:   

Note to self, vandalise John's sign in way both lewd and crude.

EDatlow
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   

Nor read and edit SCIFICTION :-) I'm only up to mid May in my reading.

Glad you've enjoyed some SCIFICTION stuff. Got some more great things coming up.
Not much horror though, in 2004.
Ellen

>>>Heh heh. I've actually written some story notes. Of course, they want the books in October, so that does make a difference. Also, I have the advantage of not having to do a whopping great big intro. That just looks like a lotta work.

On stuff I've liked so far: I've really liked some of the SciFiction offerings for the year, particularly the stories by Christopher Rowe (spectacular!), Daniel Abraham and John Kessel.

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 03:41 pm:   

John: Yes, you did get the latest Electric Velocipede to me, for which many thanks. - J

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 03:44 pm:   

Ellen: To be fair, you only finished the latest YBFH a little while ago, and I don't think the next one's due till the first quarter of next year. For me, Karen and I delivered our book last October and (theoretically at least) I've been reading since then. I need to be further along that you, right now. I tell myself that there isn't that much reading to do, as long as you keep on top of it every day. I then don't do anything for a few weeks, and suddenly panic at the drifts of manuscripts, galleys, books and magazines that have arrived to be read and considered. sigh. Still, it's a cool thing to do.

J

EDatlow
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 08:09 pm:   

Yes, Jonathan. That makes sense. I'm finding that there's much less this year than last year--unless no one's sending me anything. Far fewer original anthologies. We'll see.

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 09:37 pm:   

I've seen a lot of original anthologies, actually. Probably about a dozen from Tekno Books, each with one or two interesting stories. Also a couple interesting ones from small presses, and the odd one from the big publishers. The thing I've noticed this year is that there's a lot of good fantasy (and I mean really good), but only a handful of really good SF stories. I've no doubt they'll surface, but I haven't seen that many yet.

EDatlow
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:49 am:   

Yes, but very few horror anthologies or those with horror in them, which of course, is what I'm looking for.
Last year was extremely strong in horror and this so far seems just the opposite.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 10:23 am:   

Ack -- and some small press publishers have too many of their books coming out in the second half of the year although they faithfully promise to change that! Beware, both of you, that I'm going to have stuff for you...soon.

EDatlow
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 01:22 pm:   

Deborah,
Looking forward to them--really :-)

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 07:54 am:   

Ellen: Did you ever get a copy of "Strange Tales" from Tartarus? Or do they send you their stuff?

EDatlow
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 09:40 am:   

Brendan, I did get it and your story (if you're the Brendan in it) got an Honorable Mention in YBFH #17, out momentarily.

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:02 am:   

Yes, I am that Brendan...

Cool. Honorable mention is good.

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration