Welcome Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » Welcome « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:18 pm:   

Hi and welcome to my new message board, and thanks to Jeff and everyone at Night Shade for suggesting we give this a try.

It seems that the thing to do is to give a brief idea of who you are and what you're doing. I'm based in Australia, started a semi-prozine called Eidolon back in 1990 with a bunch of friends, edited a couple "Years Best Australian SF" volumes for HarperCollins in Australia, published some books under the Eidolon imprint (including Howard Waldrop's Going Home Again). I started reviewing for Locus in 1997, which I still do sporadically, and became Reviews Editor for the magazine in January of 2002. What else? I'm working on three new anthology projects, all due from major publishers in 2004 and barely have enough time to draw breath thanks to two little girls aged one and a half and two and a half.

Well, that's about it. Hope to see you here on the board. I'll try to check in and be involved as often as possible.

Best
Jonathan

JeffV
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:30 pm:   

Welcome, Jonathan. I look forward to more details on the anthologies as they get closer to publication.

What are your daughters' names?

Jeff V

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:39 pm:   

Hey Jeff -

I have two little girls - Jessica who is 2 and a half and Sophie who is one and a half. They keep everything insanely busy. On the anthologies: I'll happily post details here once I've seen contracts for them. The major book is an awards anthology to be published in Australia and the US, and the other two are reprint anthologies I'm co-editing with a good friend.

Best
J

Night Shade Books
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:45 pm:   

Howdy Jonathan, welcome aboard!

Anything new with Eidolon these days?

Jason

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:06 pm:   

Hey Jason -

Thanks for the welcome and for the board. The Eidolon question is a tricky one. I left Eidolon back in early 1999 and they published the last issue in 2000. After a lot of agonising, Jeremy killed the print magazine last month, but intends to keep going with the website at www.eidolon.net and some occasional book projects. He and I have spoken about some ideas for books (a best of Eidolon, an Eidolon annual antho, some single author projects), but distribution is such a problem here that it's always difficult.

J

Ellen
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 09:35 pm:   

There have been at least two excellent horror stories on the Eidolon website in 2002. I've taken one, "Stitch," by Terry Dowling, for YBFH#16 and Sean William's "The Girl-Thing" was on my short list until recently (it did make my Hon. Mentions).

Russell B. Farr
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 02:35 am:   

Hi Jonathan. You've already got two blogs, and now this, I think it must be time for syndication. The John Laws of Australian SF, perhaps?

Russ

p.s. hope to catch up with you this weekend.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 04:08 am:   

Russ -

I know you're somewhere in the godforsaken south west of WA, but you're resorting to contacting me via a US-based message board! Call the phone number boyo, but remeber than the first three digits are 275 and not 272.

J

Jack Dann
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:03 pm:   

There you are, Jonathan!

I was going to e-mail you that =you= have to have a topic...and here it is.

I'll keep peeking in, my dear pal.

Cheers!

--JACK

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 07:43 am:   

Hey Jack

Hope life on the Prom is swell.

J

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:04 pm:   

Jonathan: I saw on Locus Online where it says that you reviewed Celtika by Robert Holdstock. I very much liked his novel The Hollowing. I was wondering if you thought this current one would be fitting for a YA reader?

Best,

Jeff

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:51 pm:   

Jeff: It's certainly not what you'd normally consider a young adult book (like, say, the work of Diana Wynne Jones or Neil Gaiman or Garth Nix), so I'd say it depends on how young your young adult is. Celtika, and I assume the sequel, is a dark, dense, adult book that would probably be best suited to the 15 and over crowd.

Hope that helps
J

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:02 pm:   

Jonathan: Thanks. Your response was quite helpful.

Best,

Jeff

Michael Bishop
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 04:34 am:   

Dear Jonathan,

Sorry not to have done this sooner, but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to mention LIGHT YEARS AND DARK as a book that had a significant influence on your life. That's good to know, and it means a great deal to me both that you feel that way and that you visited my message board to tell me so. Hope all is well with you.

Sincerely,

Mike

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 06:19 am:   

Hi Mike

I've been meaning to respond to your kind response to my original post on your board, but, life always gets in the way.

I think in your post you mentioned the impact of DANGEROUS VISIONS. Because of time and happenstance, for me DV ended up being merely a very good anthology filled with a bunch of stories I'd already read. LIGHT YEARS AND DARK (which IMHO deserves to be reprinted) was the Rosetta Stone, and I've never hesitated to recommend it. I know there's a small-ish group of people on the other side of the world to you (here in Western Australia) who I have indoctrinated with LIGHT YEARS AND DARK, insisting that they they hunt it down, second hand, collectible or however (there's certainly a disproportionate part of the print run of the book here in Perth) and I think it's had an impact because of that. In a sense, it lead reasonably directly to my publishing a Howard Waldrop book, becoming friends with Jack Dann and a whole bunch of other stuff. So, it's been very important. And it lead to my interest in your own work - through "Apartheid, Superstrings and Mordecai Thubana" to UNICORN MOUNTAIN, BRITTLE INNINGS, "Blue Kansas Sky" and now "The Door Gunner". I'm one of those waiting for the new Mike Bishop novel, and maybe even another anthology.

Best
Jonathan

Michael Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:11 am:   

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks yet again. To tell the truth, psychically I need the sort of encouragement that your words provide. Of late, having received rejection after rejection for a mainstream novel that I think worthy of publication, and making next to nothing for the stories I've published, or tried to publish, over the past four or five years, I've begun contemplating searching for full-time work after almost thirty years of free-lance writing. Since finishing a novella in January, and a brief mainstream short story, I've been unable to get off center, and the virtual certainty that the United States will attack Iraq within the next day or so has plunged me -- and not only me, of course, but many others -- into a profound depression. This, too, has inhibited the work. Enough of that, however. I'm glad that you found LIGHT YEARS AND DARK, that you've pushed it on others, and that it led you to publish a book of Howard's and to become friends with Jack. I take real solace from those facts, and maybe, once the rain goes away, I'll get back to writing.

Oh, yes, I encountered DANGEROUS VISIONS at the same time that I was discovering Ursula Le Guin and the Ace Science Fiction Specials edited by Terry Carr, and its impact on me was immediate, visceral, and, I think, positive. I can still recall the excitement with which I went through Ellison's choices and his irreverent accompanying notes, and with which I awaited the subsequent promised volumes, although only AGAIN, DANGEROUS VISIONS eventually appeared. In fact, after about six years, I pulled "Dogs' Lives" from THE LAST DANGEROUS VISIONS and placed it with THE MISSOURI REVIEW.

Do you have a website of your own, Jonathan? Or a place where I might discover what other books you have published, etc., etc.?

Mike

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:06 pm:   

Hi Mike

Sorry for being such a lousy responder on the boards here. I have a weblog thing at www.iinet.net.au/~jstrahan/blogger.html which gives a little information, there's a bio somewhere over at the Locus website, a way out of date page at http://members.iinet.net.au/~jstrahan/jonathan.html and there's a page at www.eidolon.net which describes the magazine and books I was involved with. To give the briefest of summaries, I co-published/co-edited an Australian SF semi-prozine for 10 years, edited two volumes of a Year's Best Australian SF & Fantasy for HarperCollins Australia, and published a book by Storm Constantine, one by Howard (the original ed. of his GOING HOME AGAIN), a collection of essays by Robin Pen, and a couple books by Terry Dowling. I don't quite know when I'm going to publish again (the itch always resurfaces), but I'm also currently working on a couple or three anthologies for HarperCollins and others.

Hope that answers the question
Best
Jonathan

Jay C
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 12:11 am:   

Jonathan, you know what else? You're a bugger to try and contact, mate. No email addy anywhere in sight. Wanted to send you a brief note about something...

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 04:25 am:   

Sorry about that. I have about four email addresses out there in the world, but the best one to use is jstrahan@iinet.net.au if you need to contact me.

Best
J

Jay C
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 06:19 am:   

Sorted!

Michael Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for the weblog address, etc. I'll take a look at them all eventually. And you hardly need apologize to me for being slow to respond to message-board postings. I'm among the worst about staying current, as this message -- a couple of weeks after yours -- demonstrates pretty conclusively.

Yours, Mike

Wanda Van Winkle
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 09:05 am:   

My post is a little different. My mother's maiden name was Strahan. I'm interested in finding out exactly where it originated. I can't even pretend to be "into" genealogy, but someday I may even do research in that area.

I'd love to talk with you by e-mail to see if we have any ancestors in common.

JeffV
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:30 pm:   

Congrats on the award you just won, Jonathan!

Jeff

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 03:49 pm:   

Thanks Jeff. It's always nice to get a new piece of hardware to threaten the children with, and to know that the locals see some of what I'm doing these days.

Best
Jonathan

Jay C
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:25 pm:   

Ah, cool. A couple of Southern Crosses. Good on ya, mate.

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   

Congratulations Jonathan!! I meant to drop you a line and got distracted <g>

Lucius
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 09:41 am:   

Jonathan,

I heard from Nick Gevers that you've heard somewhere that 4 Walls 8 Windows is not going to publish A HANBOOK OF AMERICAN PRAYER....This is most assuredly not the case. It's been delayed, because it grew longer than I suspected it would be -- that's all. John Oakes says he's going to rush it into production the second he gets it. I'd appreciate you telling whoever is saying this that he or she is way off base.

Thanks...

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 04:12 pm:   

Hey Lucius

I think my email to Nick confused him a little. I'd emailed the Four Walls Eight Windows folk to ask for various review copies, and listed A HANDBOOK... amongst them. The PR person responded, saying that the book had been 'put on hold'. There was nothing about not publishing the book. If you want more info - the PR person's name etc - email me offlist and I'll be happy to cc you a copy of the email.

Best
J

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 04:29 pm:   

No worries, Jonathan...Nick just got it wrong, obviously. I was just concerned that the word was out they weren't publishing.....

Hope all is well...

Lucius

montmorency
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 05:43 am:   

Hi Jonathan,

Can I ask how to pronouce "Strahan"? I have to transcribe your name when I write it in Japanese magazines.

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 07:44 am:   

Ah. There's a long "ahhhh" sound. So, it's straaaahn. I guess. But not Strawn or Strachan. I'm curious, though, which Japanese magazines?

montmorency
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 09:11 am:   

Thanks. I'll make sure it to sound straaaahn.

Oops, sorry, it should be singular. There's only one genre magazine that carries translated SF stories - Hayakawa SF Magazine.

I have to confess that I'll be quoting your prediction for the next year's Hugo... for fun. Yes, I should use more of your insightful opnions but they have to wait for another occasions.

andres
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 02:54 pm:   

Hey,Jonathan.Are you not posting anymore in this forum?

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 06:22 pm:   

I am posting. I've just been away.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration