The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 05:27 pm:   

I've got great news! Earlier this week I sold an original anthology, tentatively titled The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows, to the ever wonderful Sharyn November at Viking Childrens.

One of the reasons I haven't mentioned it here yet is that I'm still working on the best way to describe the project to everyone. The idea behind the book is to challenge the best of today's science fiction writers - writers who are at the top of their form and really pushing the envelope - to produce original science fiction that will hopefully challenge and excite younger readers. The book is aimed at teenagers (i.e. 13yrs+), but age shouldn't really be too much of a consideration. There is no other theme, nothing is barred, and there's nothing specifically I'm looking for in a story, beyond great SF concepts and terrific storytelling. The main thing will be to bring something fresh and new to the book.

As you can imagine, what with this being the first original anthology I've done and the first original fiction editing I've done since leaving Eidolon, I'm both excited and a little nervous. I'll certainly post more information on the book here as it becomes available, but for the moment I'm just happy and excited.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 06:10 pm:   

COngrats, JS. Hope it flies high.

Jonathan
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 09:26 am:   

Thanks Lucius. I'm pretty optimistic about the book and I really think readers deserve better than clones of ideas that worked well half a century ago. Hopefully I can come close to delivering the book I'm imagining. We'll see. - J

JV
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 11:30 am:   

Will you open it up to unsolicited submissions?

JeffV

Jonathan
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 11:21 pm:   

I'm not sure yet, Jeff. The deal isn't inked yet, and I need to work out a schedule for getting it all done. I'm guessing I'll send out solicitations shortly, see how that's shaping up, and then maybe open it for a while later in the year. Either way, I'll let everyone know here, and I'll certainly be directly in touch. - J

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration