Fantasy: Best of 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » Fantasy: Best of 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 03:58 pm:   

March 2004

I will be co-editing FANTASY: THE BEST OF 2004 (ibooks) with Karen Haber. This is the third in the series, which first appeared in 2001, and the first to be co-edited by me.

I am looking for stories from all branches of fantasy: high fantasy, low fantasy, epic fantasy, fairy tales, slipstream, New Weird, Old Weird, Middle-Aged Weird, Interstitial, literary stuff, young adult stuff, just about anything that however loosely meets the definition of 'fantasy'. If in doubt, send it. This is a reprint anthology so I am only reading material published in or about to be published during the year 2004.

Submission deadline for stories is 1 October 2004. Anything sent after this deadline will reach me too late. If a magazine you edit will be coming out by 31 December 2004 you can send me galleys or manuscripts so that I can consider the stories in time. Email submissions are discouraged, however if for some reason it's difficult to send a print copy email me to check. I will accept email copies of anything to be published after 1 October 2004. If you have something you'd like me to consider, let me know. I'm not able to follow up every publisher or publication, so a head's up is appreciated and you may want to check with your publisher that they've sent me a copy.

When sending me material please put YEAR'S BEST FANTASY on the envelope.

Jonathan Strahan
PO Box 544,
Mt Lawley
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIA 6050
Email: jstrahan(at)iinet.net.au.

****Please do not send a SASE. If I choose a story you will be informed. If you want to confirm that I've received something, enclose your email address and I will let you know the date it arrived. For stories that appear on the web (other than SciFiction and Strange Horizons), please send me (or have the publisher send me) print-outs of your story. You do not need to send me stories published in the major magazines (I see Asimov's, Analog, F&SF, Realms of Fantasy, Interzone, and SciFiction) or in anthologies from major publishers, but I would appreciate a head's up email if you have something coming out.

andres
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:26 am:   

What happened to "Fantasy:the best of 2003"?.

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 11:13 am:   

The publisher decided not to proceed with it, and then reconsidered later.

andres
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 02:38 pm:   

I remain confused;will or will not be this year a volume called Fantasy:the best of 2003?

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 03:14 pm:   

Sorry. It was early (Perth time) when I answered. There will not be a FANTASY: BEST OF 2003 volume. The publisher decided not to proceed with it. However, they reconsidered doing the series, and will start that up again with FANTASY: BEST OF 2004, which Karen Haber & I will co-edit. I suspect that sales had something to do with packaging, and am hoping I can persuade the publisher to move away from the foiled package that was used on the first two books. Hope that answers your question more clearly.

andres
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 03:57 pm:   

All clear now,Jonathan.Thanks.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 06:11 pm:   

Jonathan:

Will something submitted for one Year's Best be considered for both, or do you wish to receive two copies, one for each?

JK

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:26 pm:   

Gosh! Never occurred to me. You certainly only need to submit one copy of anything that's supposed to be seen by me - no matter how many projects it might apply to. I'm hoping I'll get to do all three year's best in 2005 - Science Fiction: Best of 2004; Fantasy: Best of 2004; and Best Short Novels: 2004 - and I only need one copy of anything to cover all three.

ellen
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:55 pm:   

Boy, Jonathan. Are you going to be busy!

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 10:22 pm:   

Nah! I'll only be really busy if I sell the other books I'm trying to get out there <g>

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 10:28 pm:   

Ellen - One other thing, just as a head's up. I know you're still reading for 2003, but a friend told me that Candlewick Press will be publishing a young adult collection of horror stories in September 2004. It's called Gothic!: 10 Dark Tales, and includes previously unpublished stories by Joan Aiken, M. T. Anderson, Neil Gaiman, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Gregory Maguire, Garth Nix, Celia Rees, Janni Lee Simner, Vivian Vande Velde and Barry Yourgrau. Might be worth keeping an eye out for. - J

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:52 am:   

Jonathan:

I figured that was the case, but you never know. :-) So if I have an issue to be published in October 2004 (or later), you say I should send page proofs, eh?

JK

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:01 pm:   

Page proofs, or you can email it to me. Whatever's easier for you, is fine by me. - J

ellen
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 03:23 pm:   

Jonathan,
Thanks for the tip. It sounds really good. Who is the editor, do you know?

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 03:49 pm:   

No idea. Garth told me about the book - he was sent a contributor's copy of the galley by the publisher and said that the Gaiman story was terrific and the Kiernan and Maguire were very good too. As I say, I'm trying to get a copy. Will let you know about progress.

ellen
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 07:18 pm:   

Thanks. I'll try contacting Garth for info.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 06:41 pm:   

Hi all

This is a quick last call for story recommendations for Fantasy: Best of 2004. We're hurtling towards our deadline - less than a week left in our reading period - and I'd love the chance to consider anything that Night Shade posters think is of merit. So, if something comes to mind, post the recommendation here and we'll be sure to follow it up.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Matt Cheney
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:56 pm:   

Here are three worth considering (all fantasy if I remember correctly): "The Rules of Gambling" by Richard Butner (original to his Small Beer chapbook), "Pictures on a Cafe Wall" by Damian Kilby (TTA 38 -- that's the one I recommended at Worldcon to you), and "Delhi" by Vandana Singh (from Nalo Hopkinson's So Long Been Dreaming anthology). I haven't read broadly enough this year to say how well they stack up compared to others, and the Kilby and Singh may have stuck out simply because I didn't much like most of what was around them, but all are worth reading.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration