Science Fiction: Best of 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » Science Fiction: Best of 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 03:57 pm:   

March 2004

I will be co-editing SCIENCE FICTION: THE BEST OF 2004 (ibooks) with Karen Haber. This is the fourth in the series, which first appeared in 2001, and the second to be co-edited by me.

I am looking for stories from all branches of science fiction: space opera, military sf, hard sf, theoretical stuff, just about anything that however loosely meets the definition of 'science fiction'. If in doubt, send it. This is a reprint anthology so I am only reading material published in or about to be published during the year 2004.

Submission deadline for stories is 1 October 2004. Anything sent after this deadline will reach me too late. If a magazine you edit will be coming out by 31 December 2004 you can send me galleys or manuscripts so that I can consider the stories in time. Email submissions are discouraged, however if for some reason it's difficult to send a print copy email me to check. I will accept email copies of anything to be published after 1 October 2004. If you have something you'd like me to consider, let me know. I'm not able to follow up every publisher or publication, so a head's up is appreciated and you may want to check with your publisher that they've sent me a copy.

When sending me material please put YEAR'S BEST SF on the envelope.

Jonathan Strahan
PO Box 544,
Mt Lawley
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIA 6050
Email: jstrahan(at)iinet.net.au.

****Please do not send a SASE. If I choose a story you will be informed. If you want to confirm that I've received something, enclose your email address and I will let you know the date it arrived. For stories that appear on the web (other than SciFiction and Strange Horizons), please send me (or have the publisher send me) print-outs of your story. You do not need to send me stories published in the major magazines (I see Asimov's, Analog, F&SF, Realms of Fantasy, Interzone, and SciFiction) or in anthologies from major publishers, but I would appreciate a head's up email if you have something coming out.

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 04:01 pm:   

I'm trying to find out more information about this, but apparently iBooks is running a competition in Issue 50 of 3D World Magazine (http://www.3dworldmag.com/) where digital artists are invited to compete for a $1000 prize and the chance to do the cover for Science Fiction: Best of 2004. I'll post details here as soon as I have them.

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 06:41 pm:   

Hi all

This is a quick last call for story recommendations for Science Fiction: Best of 2004. We're hurtling towards our deadline - less than a week left in our reading period - and I'd love the chance to consider anything that Night Shade posters think is of merit. So, if something comes to mind, post the recommendation here and we'll be sure to follow it up.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 06:12 am:   

The new issue of EV is hurtling towads you as I type this. Sorry I didn't have a copy to give to you in Boston!

JK

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 06:31 am:   

I bought a copy in Boston and have been devouring it over the past week. I should have told you, and saved you the cost (my apologies). That said, a fine issue indeed.

J

DaveE
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 06:37 am:   

Jonathan,

"The Anatomist's Apprentice", by Matthew Claxton

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/claxton/

Christopher Rowe
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   

Hey Jonathan: I haven't seen my contributor's copy yet (and I'm not worried about that fact, just a data point as they say on the interweb), but the local Barnes & Noble here in Lexington apparently has eight copies each of this and the fantasy anthology. I was calling to order a copy of the new Crowther antho--Constellations--which, criminally, none of the local stores has in stock.

I was a complete doofus and made the the bookseller read me your introduction to my story over the phone. We're heading out there to look at it after work. Yay! And thanks again for choosing "The Voluntary State" for inclusion.

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 04:35 pm:   

Hey Chris - I love the story and will definitely follow up about contrib's copies. I haven't seen it myself, and being stuck on the other side of the world, probably won't for a while. Hope it's magnificent. - J

JV
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 06:12 pm:   

Jonathan--Just saw the antho in a Borders. Looks great! Really thrilled.

JeffV

Matt Cheney
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 08:28 pm:   

Hi Jonathan -- Just got both the SF and Fantasy volumes at a Borders here in the wilds of New Hampshire, and once again you've done a great job of creating really readable anthologies. Of course everybody has different favorites from any given year, but to create entertaining, thought-provoking, and, more importantly, coherent, volumes from such a wide range of material is a feat that deserves the doffing of a hat. So my hat is doffed to you.

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 09:39 pm:   

Hi Jeff and Matt - Thanks for the kind words about the books. I'm really thrilled that they're out there in the world and that people are enjoying them. - J

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration