Whatever happened to? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » Whatever happened to? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:12 pm:   

Hi all -

The publishing world is pretty cutthroat and writers (and books) can disappear in a matter of moments, or so it seems. So, I thought I'd start a 'whatever happened to' thread to help keep track of writers and books that have disappeared or seem likely to disappear.

The first question I'd put here is 'whatever happened to David Herter'? I'd heard a rumour that he doesn't have a publisher right now, and I thought EVENING'S EMPIRE was a peach of a book. Anyone heard anything about Herter?

Best
J

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:38 pm:   

Jonathan: That's a shame. I thought Evening's Empire was one of the best novels I'd read last year. He's a very talented writer.

Best,

Jeff

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:14 pm:   

I think so too. I was talking to someone at World Fantasy, asking when Herter's next book was coming out, and they said there wasn't one planned. I'm hoping someone, somewhere has heard some better news.

J

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:37 pm:   

Jonathan: Are you psychic? I just checked out Locus Online and there is an essay up by him. It just went up. You did know that it was coming didn't you?

Best,

Jeff

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:45 pm:   

Er. No. mumble mumble <embarrassed>. Better go check it out.

J

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 08:16 pm:   

Last I heard, Dave had finished a draft of a sequel to his first novel CERES DREAMS and had sent it to Hartwell. He may be in Czechoslovakia -- I think he was planning to attend a Janacek festival there....

Cheryl
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:18 am:   

OK, have put EVENING'S EMPIRE on the buy list. Thanks for the tip, guys.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:48 am:   

For the record: Herter's first novel was CERES STORM, (not certain if Lucius is saying the sequel's called CERES DREAMS or getting the title of the first one wrong, as is common enough for us all).

I would recommend CERES STORM as well, though I think EVENING'S EMPIRE is the better novel overall.

(Ceres Storm is SF, which Hartwell compared to Bester's STARS MY DESTINATION)

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 02:05 pm:   

Hey Jim

I agree that both of Herter's novels are good - Ceres Storm and Evening's Empire. I also agree that Evening's Empire is a better novel. I think if you like slightly Blaylockian fantasy (think the later books, rather than the early ones), you're very likely to enjoy Evening's Empire a lot.

J

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 05:18 pm:   

Jonathan, that was me screwing up the title of Dave's novel. In any case, he's still in the game -- he's kind of a recluse. but he deinitely is typing on...

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 05:23 pm:   

That's great to hear. I liked his second book a lot. For some reason, actually, I thought Robert Freeman Wexler's "In Springdale Town" was a little reminiscent of "Evening's Empire", though I'm struggling to put my finger on exactly why.

J

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:21 pm:   

Haven't read Empire yet -- it's on the list. But Dave's a wise, weird head. He's on the ascendancy...

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:03 pm:   

Way back in '73 I read Sterling E. Lanier's 'Hiero's Journey' and picked up 'The Unforsaken Hiero' in '82. Twenty-two years is a bit long to conclude a trilogy...anybody know what's happened?

I hadn't thought of the gentleman in a number of years until someone had mentioned him in connection to Mitchell Smith's excellent Snowfall trilogy.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration