Epoch Change? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » Epoch Change? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 03:36 pm:   

I'm curious about reactions to Interzone's announcement that it's going bimonthly after a decade of monthly issues. To me, this marks a fundamental shift in the field. For the first time since 1923, there will be no monthly professional fiction magazine published in the field. While we've been heading towards this for a while - something underscored by the recent cutbacks at Analog and Asimov's - it still seems pretty staggering. Short fiction - which is artistically in amazingly good shape - appears to be losing its meagre foothold in the marketplace, making it harder and harder for short fiction writers to get their work seen.

Mark Gerrits
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 02:50 am:   

But Sci-Fiction and Strange Horizons can be thought of as monthly pro fiction magazines, though admittedly they don't publish as much fiction per month as the paper magazines.

The non-pro market seems to be blooming (though I don't really have an idea how it was doing in the .../60s/70/80s to compare)

Pete Crowther had some, I thought, sensible things to say at The Alien Online a while back on why short fiction is in such decline (link, the relevant part starts in the middle somewhere) His basic premise was: We don't have much free time and the time we do have, we spend stressed out because of abysmal job security, etc. Every time you start a short story, it requires a lot of work on the reader's part: getting acquainted with the new characters, world, etc. With a novel (especially the huge tomes of today) you only have to do that once and can then just cruise on the next time you pick it up.

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 04:29 am:   

Hi Mark

I think SciFiction is one of the most promising things to appear on the short fiction scene in some time, but neither it or Strange Horizons (which is closer to a very good semiprozine) are monthly print magazines. My point is that the losss of this long established front line is a major shift. The increasing importance of e-publishing seems to me to be more of the response to this fact, than an argument against it.

Jonathan

Al Reynolds
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 08:42 am:   

Jonathan

Pretty bad news if you ask me, although not entirely unexpected given the recent spate of double-dated issues. I'm surprised there hasn't been more commentary on it. I think, also, that Interzone was monthly for quite a bit longer than a decade - more like 13 or 14 years. But it's a lot better news than Interzone folding completely, I suppose, so we should probably look on the bright side. It must be very demanding putting together such a mag month in, month out - the ultimate thankless task, I suspect. But there's no doubt that the UK SF magazine scene is in much poorer shape than it was only two or three years ago.

Al R

Neilw
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 06:52 am:   

Al - I was very disappointed by the IZ news too. Although as to your point about the magazine scene being poorer than it was a few years ago - I agree in general although I thought I heard that PS Publishing were launching a magazine of some sort.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration