Lillith Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Calder, Richard » Lillith « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olivia Ouspensky
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 04:45 am:   

I'm interested in the appearance of Lillith in some of your stories; particularly the image of the crucufied lilith statues in Frenzetta and Impakto. Does that myth have any particular significance to your work?
What does she mean to you as a writer? Who is she to you? I only became aware of her role in the alternative creation myth from her appearance in a Moorcock novel (Von Bek and the Sandman comic. After a precursory browse across t'internet it seems that her legend has been appropriated and warped by groups as disparate as misogynistic cults all the way up to jewish femminists.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Calder
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:05 pm:   

Olivia:

Lilith appeared in my work quite early. In my 1990 story 'The Lilim' she emerges from the superstitions and mythology surrounding the 'doll-plague' to then go on (in the 'Dead' trilogy) to assume the mantle of a tutelary goddess to the dolls. I used her, I think, because -- as Adam's rejected first wife who went on to become the mother of demonesses, or succubi -- she represented a kind of goddess of anti-humanity, that is, of the artificial: in other words, an appropriate goddess of robots and gynoids. In other novels -- and I believe she pretty much appears in *all* my novels -- she becomes a goddess of the left-hand path, of anti-nature, of the perverse: the goddess of those outsiders and rebels who live at the limits of what is considered 'human.' The 'crucified Liliths' are inspired by Rops. For me, they represent the goddess sacrificed upon the altar -- the crucis lingam -- of the Sadeian universe that so many of my characters seem to inhabit.

Best wishes
Richard

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register